Notices

I feel like I'm too young for this.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I feel like I'm too young for this.

Well I'm only 20, I almost got arrested, my doctor is reccomending an IOP. I don't know how I got like this. I used to be smart, strong, and not feel like trash. I guess I've been a drunk for about two years. The last year's been really bad. I'm still in school, and though my grades and general attitude suffered severly, I havn't lost everything yet...

My story is the predictable progression. Loved drinking, used to do a little, drunken escapades got closer and closer together cronologically, culminating in big bienges that would end with vows of "never again." Then start drinking a little come next week, then a little more, drinking to get over hangovers, etc...

So now I'm going to an IOP over winter break, which hasn't started yet. I haven't drank in three days. On the one hand I would like to never feel the need to drink again...on the other hand, I'm not even legally old enough to drink, I feel like I'd miss so much of the "bar scene," college life etc. Plus, drinking just fills this huge void inside me...for a while.

Oh well, onward and upward.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

You remind me of a guy that was in my homegroup when I first went to AA. He was 19 and celebrating his first year of recovery. His dad was also a recovering A...they had different homegroups. He said he drank "like an alcoholic" from the first drink.

You'll find tons of support here!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, 7yearsago.

my daughter is 23, and she has been struggling with alcoholic/cocaine addiction since her late teens. she has had 2 dui's and lost her drivers license. she has been arrested for assault charges. she has failed out of college and her financial situation is a mess. she has lost relationships and missed opportunities because of drugs and alcohol.

believe me, dealing with it NOW is the right thing for you to do. it is a progressive disease.

hugs, and keep reaching out.

k
Old 12-12-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

If you can already recognize drinking as a problem, you can save yourself a world of grief by nipping it in the bud right now...believe us, it will only get worse! If you continue the way you're going, you will eventually lose so much, and turn around one day (maybe 30 years hence) and realize how much better your life could have been!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Take it easy

WOW...I hope you stop and consider how lucky it is to identify a potential problem at your age...I suffered many more years before I got a clue...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was 20 I thought I was too young to get sober. Sixteen years later...my God it felt like 16 months .. I thought I was too old to get a life. I was wrong on both counts.
Don't make the mistakes I made...don't throw away 16 precious years...Get thee sober, young man!
Life isn't in the barrooms, the parties, the bottle, or at the end of a straw or needle. Get out there and live! Hike, camp, drive, travel, study... but live!
You've got the keys to the kingdom and don't even know it!
Sober at 20? Whoa!!!! Go for it! It would be a shame if you didn't.
I'm saying a prayer and hoping you listen. I didn't and I'll forever regret it.
Mike
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

i got sober at 21, i'm 23 now. i have a year and 7 months sober. my sponsor got sober at 18, has 2 years now. my friend jenn got sober at 25 (she has a year), my friend nathan got sober at 19 (he has 12 years, maybe more), my friend liz got sober at 20 (she has 23 years!).

you're not missing out, trust me. you get to live a life that's worth it, and not feel like ****, and not get hit on by skeezy guys in dirthole bars, not get DUIs, not worry about killing yourself in some drunken incident or killing someone else the same way. give it a shot, it's MORE than worth it.

best of luck, buddy.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm 23, knew I had a problem at 17. You would not believe how many people our age are in the rooms of AA and in rehabs. I've met some new friends through AA, some of them younger than I am. I used to think I was too young to get sober, but then **** hit the fan and here I am. Good luck my friend.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by and7yearsago View Post
Loved drinking, used to do a little, drunken escapades got closer and closer together cronologically, culminating in big bienges that would end with vows of "never again." Then start drinking a little come next week, then a little more, drinking to get over hangovers, etc...
I have the same drinking patterns, did that for 20 years, 16 days sober now...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and 7 years ago,

You are so lucky to be where you are now instead of having to live through what some of us had to...even though being too young to drink, it shouldn't be hard to justify the fact that you are having a problem with alcohol...it doesn't matter how old we are or how much we drink or when we drink...it matters what happens when we drink..

Good Luck....keep coming back..read..post..just say Hi!!!

kelsh
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made a post similar to this, I started drinking at 17 and I'm 19 now, but I already feel like I have a problem. I want to be able to walk into a bar and have a drink with friends, have fun at parties, all that. I do have fun when I drink sometimes, its not all bad. I know the bad outways the good though, I found a college I love and I may fail out of it because of my drinking. Its just not worth it anymore...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for the replies. It looks like there is a waiting list for the program I was supposed to go to, I will probably end up going to a similar one. I agree that it's better to face this early...I just dont really...want to right now. I really have no qualms admitting I'm an alcoholic, I know it sounds moronic. I mean, going through college without going out? has anyone ever had succes going to parties and staying sober at them? meh. But I definately agree that if I can quit now, I'll look back on it and be glad I did. well I guess I'll be hanging out on the forums a while. thanks again.

Ps. is there a thread/place to get in depth info on what an IOP is like? I really don't know what to expect...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

My 26 year old son just celebrated 7 years and he did his celebrating with his wife of 4 years who is a pediatrician in their new home while playing with his first child, a 6 month old girl.

He came to me 7 years ago with a story just like yours. He was in school, which I was paying for, but he wasn't really attending too often, and he had progressed to everyday booze and drugs. Like you he felt he was "too young" to be in so deep, but it was a fact that he was.

Fast forward, he attended AA meetings and got involved with a home group. He graduated and became an accountant and met and married the Dr. The day to day was a struggle and like you he never got to get drunk on his 21st birthday. GEE LOOK AT ALL THAT HE MISSED by getting sober at 20???

Jon
Old 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Hi, And7. Sounds a lot like my story. I'm 22, and just starting out. I was smart, I was in a great school, hell, I was going to be a neuroscientist! I dropped out of school towards the end of my sophomore year. I plan to do a hospitalized detox at the start of January.

You know what's great about being "too young" for this? We've got so much TIME ahead of us once we're sober! (And you think we're young? I know a 17-year-old who's trying to recover.)
Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was in IOP with a treatment facility. It's been a while, but I think we met 2 or 3 times a week, 3 hours a night and one of the nights was "family night" where our families could come.

It was run by substance abuse counselors....the 2 we had were recovering addicts/alcoholics. We learned about addiction, triggers, and how to deal with life without turning to drugs/alcohol. It was actually very helpful...we had people of all ages, all different DOC's (drugs of choice, including alcohol). Some were there voluntarily, some were court-ordered.

We agreed that we could be drug/alcohol tested if the counselors suspected we were using.

IOP, like anything else, is not a guarantee for recovery - you still have to want it really bad and use it as one of the tools of recovery. Unfortunately, I wasn't as ready as I thought to be in recovery. However, when I WAS ready, what I learned back then has helped me now and I'm glad I went, even though I didn't "get it" the first time.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i sure admire all the young folks here. it gives me hope that my daughter will find her way and have the sober life she deserves. thanks, mom k
Old 12-12-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm 24, was well into my alcoholism at 20, as was my dad when he was your age. My counsins 25, just about to get his 5th year medallion. I think some of us were born be to alcocholic, whether u take the first drink at 5, 20 or 50 years of age.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi!
Welcome aboard. It sounds like you have realized the consequences drinking has on your life. You havn't said if you're still drinking though.

Originally Posted by and7yearsago View Post
Oh well, onward and upward.
That reminds me of a song called Higher In Time by the Waterboys. In fact I think it may be a song about going on the wagon. You might want to check it out: http://www.utterlyrics.com/w/waterbo...r-in-time.html
Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi.

My first time in IOP was when I was 18. I relapsed off and on until I finally cleaned up for real when I was 21.

I am grateful to have more time to make a sober life than a lot of addicts get, because I didn't use into my 30s or 40s.

Your post was clear and intelligent. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi and7,
I participated in an IOP a couple of summers ago and it ended up being a good start for me. At first I didn't think it would be helpful because there was a lot of basic information about alcohol and drugs' effects on the body, a la health class. However, the exercises we did (consequences of our drinking and something similar to AA's 1st and 2nd steps) got me thinking about what I really wanted for my life and how my addiction was keeping me from getting there. My IOP was from 6pm-9pm four nights a week, so it literally replaced drinking for me for the first few weeks. Anyway, I share this just to say that while I was skeptical at first, the IOP ended up being really helpful to me. Best wishes.