Notices

The office christmas party ....

Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The office christmas party ....

Hi everyone

I was wondering how you all cope with this one each year. I went to mine last night and enjoyed myself sober but I was one of the first to leave. I think that because i had a relapse two weeks ago after nearly five months sober I was very vigilant though. I can see it would be very easy to pick up at these things.

I arrived at work this morning in hear tales of people humiliating themselves and a terrible fight late at night. Its a great reminder of why I dont drink any more and what could happend when I do (although I still managed to humiliate myself by knocking a plate of potatoes on the floor during our meal )
Old 12-12-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Lol,
Glad you had the sense to leave early and - yeh u mb humiliated yourself ever so slightly- but ppl prob too drunk to notice! And hey- at least u can actually remeber what u did to humiliate yourself lol - the very worse is when u dont even know- and then have to ring around to find out.....
Phew so glad im rid of that! I havent had a crimbo do' this yr- my aunt invited me to her works one but i decided against it. I went to a chemical bro's concert the night before so was in desperate need of a mtng lol! It was wild (would reccomend early in recovery lol!)
Old 12-12-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Octo,

I'm glad that you made it through the party without drinking! I have nothing to share, my company has no holiday parties thankfully.

Karen
Old 12-12-2007, 04:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

* (would NOT reccomend sorry!)
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know when I was drinking I loved Christmas parties, I have been to a few since I sobered up and they are boring as hades and kind of sad to see others like I used to be.

Heck the last few years of my drinking I didn't even bother to go to them, the driving there and bcak cut down on my drinking time!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I went to my husbands holiday party on Saturday. Open bar, champagne on the tables. I found it easy to resist and it wasn't a problem. Every other person and that party was drinking except us and the one wife who was pregnant. We stayed until dinner was over and left. We only went to get some of the free food lol. Which sucked btw. There were plenty of people from his office that didn't bother to show up... I don't see why people make such a fuss about having to go. Not saying you Octo ..but others that feel obligated. Next year we probably won't go. Unless the have it at a different place with better food .
Old 12-13-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lol,
Sounds like I'm not the only one who finds the work bash a bit of a bore. Its good to know.
You're right Gypsy - there does seem to be excessive pressure on people to attend these. I had to do a little speech for my team so I had little choice but I was out of there as soon as possible. Next year I think I'll make my excuses...

The fall out here is that one person has been dismissed for getting in a fight an another damaged their standing by coming back to the office and being sick in reception. Plus all the other minor dramas such as people snogging, groping, insulting the boss etc.
I really feel there is no upside to these things. Even for non-alcoholics getting drunk at the christmas bash will cause nothing whatsoever but trouble. Who needs all that misery when its meant to be the season to be jolly!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jolly good show octo!

tiz the season...

xxoo

rz
Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

way to go, OctoMannnn...

I think keeping SOBRIETY as the priority ... is the right thing to do.

It's just a plate of potatoes, anyhow.

Which YOU probably say like - 'poe-TAH-toes'...

Either way - it's just junk on the floor.

Proud of ya!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Musta been SOME party, though.