Notices

There's only one negative to this website

Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

You know what I find interesting about all this? In my original post, I didn't mention AA or any specific recovery method, but that's what most people are assuming. This tells me I'm not alone in my observations.

To each his own, my friends. Let's all Be Well!!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

not trying to be a hard arss.

I was referring to ...there's only ONE negative thing on this website.lol
In my exeperince it's not true for me.

Becareful. look at the sticky...internet preditor.

This is just a message board..yes for some reasons we get all emotionally
aroused. However it's just the matrix. you never know what you're going
to get.

I can spot the devil with pitch fork from a mile away.
it's when the devil with a blue dress on...that confusses the hell out of me.
Somewhere in the realm..cunning and baffling.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Quote:
IF YOU ARE NOT A TRUE ALCOHOLIC/ADDICT THERE ARE MANY WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN STOP DRINKING-
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
OK...this is some of what bugs me - these black and white statements ...

I didn't use a step programme in my (so far successful) recovery, so I must not be a 'true alcoholic' (whatever that is) ?

puh-leeze

there is not one path - there are many.
That's not a feeling either, it's a fact

D

lol, I know Dee that one made me laugh... :rof I tell ya....

:puppet
Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

We might all travel on a different path but we're all trying to get to the same place.

I use MY CHOICE of RECOVERY and it works for ME. I've been sober for 2 years and 9 days. It's worked for me so far. I know that those who have chosen a different path to recovery then me, are glad that I'm here and sober.....no matter how I got here.

Whether you want to believe it or not: YOUR recovery is about YOUnot anyone else.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

bit cranky yesterday......

Pilgrim's right tho - I have done some fancy steppin' - for me, this is about so much more than just not drinking...not picking up keeps me sober - spiritual renewal and looking hard at myself honestly always keeps me recovering...er. recovered...er..

dang

anyway my programme works for me...
D
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I have no problem with the path that anyone chooses. But, if it's not the path of the first 100 members of AA, that was documented in the big book, it should not be presented as the program of AA. In other words, don't call it AA if it's not in the Big Book.

Aside from that, if someone is happy doing what they're doing, then don't change a thing.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

You know what I find interesting about all this? In my original post, I didn't mention AA or any specific recovery method, but that's what most people are assuming. This tells me I'm not alone in my observations.
Well, of course that's what most of us were assuming, Laura! Because that is the recovery method most of us are familiar with, and the one most often referred to at SR. I've never sensed that anyone was "promoting" AA or pushing it on others...only telling what worked for us, as I emphasized in my own way.

I believe this website is pretty much like AA meetings (I actually think of it as my 24/7 meeting)...in that we take what we can use, and leave the rest.

I am a proponent of AA...because it's the only program of recovery that I know through personal experience...and, it's served me well during 28 years of continuous sobriety. I've never researched any other suggested programs of recovery...simply because I know what worked for me.
Actually, I've never been aware of anyone pushing any program of recovery...AA or otherwise.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
I did as you suggested, and see what you mean. However, I guess I'm just a stubborn old alcoholic...I've been "in recovery" since 1979...I'm "still recovering", and hopefully will be until they toss the last shovel of dirt over me.

Here's an excerpt from the Big Book Bunch (a group that studies the Big Book):
The book instructs us to introduce ourselves as one who has recovered. Calling ourselves recovering is, perhaps, false humility. Page 85 tells us that the problem has been REMOVED. It DOES NOT EXIST. Isn't that a better message to carry to new people than just repeating AA meeting rhetoric to them?

If I get shot in the leg and go the hospital, the doctor will remove the bullet and close the hole. If I take certain steps - clean and redress the wound, take my antibiotics, and stay in bed for a number of days, I will recover. Does that mean that my body is now bulletproof? Heck no! I can get shot again. But if I continue to take steps to not get shot again, like staying away from guns, I will remain recovered.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pleased to see you're no longer confused, Frescacan....

to me...I would never say I was recovered. That'd be dangerous.

and - again to me - if you're doing it right - recovery is a constantly renewing process...
it's not just about being alcoholic - the process of bettering ourselves never ends...

so make mine recovering, thanks.....

D
Old 12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Pleased to see you're no longer confused, Frescacan....

to me...I would never say I was recovered. That'd be dangerous.

and - again to me - if you're doing it right - recovery is a constantly renewing process...
it's not just about being alcoholic - the process of bettering ourselves never ends...

so make mine recovering, thanks.....

D

You're right. Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob were idiots for introducing themselves as recovered alcoholics. Give them some slack, though. They did it without the benefit of your opinion.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Thankful for every sober day!

Because I know that I can never again drink - and alcohol will always be poison to me - I am addicted to alcohol. Period. The addiction will always be lurking waiting to pounce on me in a weak moment.

But there is no shame in that.

I'm an alcoholic, BUT I AM NOW SOBER. That's where the victory is for me. That's the hope I bring and share with others.

I have received help from many recovery avenues - websites, AA, Sober Recovery, RationalRecovery, SMARTRecovery. I take what works from all these resources and leave the rest.

There is much to be said from all the many various ways to find sobriety. Use what works for you and support others in what works for them.

We're all in the same battle together.

Let's always remember to treat one another as comrades-in-arms.

Love, Elizabeth
  # 72 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's when others are carrying guns that throws a monkey wrench
into system...Obviouley they don't give a sheit and mix in with the
crowld.

If you defind me by my writing skills on the net ...good luck !!!
  # 73 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by frescacan View Post
You're right. Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob were idiots for introducing themselves as recovered alcoholics. Give them some slack, though. They did it without the benefit of your opinion.
They did it without the benefit of your opinion as well.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hey...I have 200 years clean and sober:rof
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Oops- i should have said real alcoholic not "true"- on p. 21 it goes to explain what a real alcoholic is and what other types are , the hard drinker might even have to get medical attention; actually they spend all the way up to p.43 explaining the difference between a real alcoholic and a non-alcoholic so you can figure that out.
IF THAT BE THE CASE(you are an alcoholic not a hard drinker THAN YOU MAY BE SUFFERING FROM AN ILLNESS(alcoholism) WHICH ONLY A SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE CAN CONQUER(the steps) (P.44)

I am passionate about it cause- the fact is for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution, we have a way which we can absolutely agree (all that have done the work from the book) and i spent a lot of time in AA, NA, support sites, rehab, detox, you name it,etc... to get sober but i heard so many mixed messages that i did not know the difference in what i heard..(being told I just don't drink and go to meetings which i could never do so i must be different or i have not hit my bottom yet, and hoped that the next bad thing that happened would allow me to get sober or think the drink through so i would not drink- again tried and failed)
THE TRUTH is those loveing people have a different reaction to alcohol than i do since that worked for them and there is A LOT of those ideas everywhere which makes it hard to figure out a real solution is if you are dying!
I would be dead today ( no joke) if someone had not introduced themselves as recovered and scooped me up and helped me to recover

Recover vs. recovering- all points have been made but to a newcomer would you want someone who has a solution or is in the problem- to be of maximum service

I am sorry if i offend anyone; i just always try to give a clear message that is backed by the big book , my goal is to help everyone better understand the alcoholic If drinking is a problem for you and you stopped GOOD,BUT IF you can not stop for good and all & if you have any questions please ask- there are many recovered alcoholics on S.R. ! GOD BLESS YOU ALL
Old 12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

They did it without the benefit of your opinion.
yeah well they could've asked....

but seriously...one the the things I have learned is when to walk away....I'll respect your way if you respect mine, y'know ?

forgot to mention before too...the other thing that keeps me in recovery is all the good folk here

support is everything.
D
Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Calling ourselves recovering is, perhaps, false humility.
OK...now your "Big Book Thumping" is even getting to me, and I resent your implication of "false humility"!

Page 85 tells us that the problem has been REMOVED. It DOES NOT EXIST (for us). Isn't that a better message to carry to new people than just repeating AA meeting rhetoric to them?
Read on to the next paragraph:

We are not cured of alcoholism. What we have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.
Now, isn't that a better (more complete and accurate) message to carry to the newcomer? And, there's not a darned thing wrong with "AA meeting rhetoric".
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by gypsy tears View Post
There are many paths to recovery.
Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Yeah, well I just wanna say that THERE IS ONLY ONE PATH to recovery, and I know what it is and I'm gonna tell you whether any of you wanna hear it or not ...

And damn it I know I am right!

Here it is:

Don't Pick Up!

I'm sorry if that's a controversial sentiment, but I just feel like I had to go on the record with it ...
I stand corrected.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by LauraSFO View Post
People who think their way of recovery is the only way and tell you so in no uncertain terms. It's annoying and off-putting. I'm sure it turns a lot of people off. I know there are some people who have found life-changing effects of their recovery method of choice, and it's wonderful to share that. But to tell people it's the ONLY way just isn't true.

Sorry, just my humble opinion. I came to this website two years ago when I tried to quit then and that aspect of it really pi$$ed me off to where I almost didn't come back this time. I'm glad I did, but I would encourage everyone to show tolerance and keep an open mind to all programs.

Sermon over, thanks for reading.
As I read through the replies here I'm reminded how this thread started.

Do you remember?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I was gonna mention that too PD.
too funny.

D