Notices

There's only one negative to this website

Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Frescacan,

My recovery involves working on myself every day - physically, mentally and spiritually. I have to have all three things each day or I start to suffer. And, I am working with others. I come here to SR almost every day and have been doing that for 4 1/2 years. I come here to get help for myself and to try to help other people, if I can.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Frescacan,

My recovery involves working on myself every day - physically, mentally and spiritually. I have to have all three things each day or I start to suffer. And, I am working with others. I come here to SR almost every day and have been doing that for 4 1/2 years. I come here to get help for myself and to try to help other people, if I can.

And she does it Quite Well I might add......
Old 12-12-2007, 12:44 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

IF YOU ARE NOT A TRUE ALCOHOLIC/ADDICT THERE ARE MANY WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN STOP DRINKING-
OK...this is some of what bugs me - these black and white statements ...

I didn't use a step programme in my (so far successful) recovery, so I must not be a 'true alcoholic' (whatever that is) ?

puh-leeze :

there is not one path - there are many.
That's not a feeling either, it's a fact

D
Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I dunno Dee. You have taken some pretty amazing steps I reckon.

An oldtimer recovered said to me last week - If you find that the only thing that keeps you from drinking is standing on your head in a field of daisies then my advice is to find a field of daisies and stand on your head.

About the recovered thing. We are never cured if we are alcoholics. We can and do recover. I use a number of ways to recover and I am just finding that I pick what works for me. SR is an important part of my recovery where I can relate to other alcoholics, help newcomers and find friendship.

When are we recovered? Is it when we know our Higher Power is working to keep us safe from drinking? It is when we don't have to drink today? When we remember why we don't drink or if we forget, our HP does the job for us. It is a feeling of peaceful serenity in the safety we get by doing what works. When we can live life and have feelings without having to take a drink and being well enough to make the decision every morning that we don't want to drink today. When we are grateful for the help that is available and that when things are really hard, we can still find something to be grateful for.

Hi Satit!! Ro! Stone! Gyps! ((Anna)) ((Carol)). SR helped to save my life. No one will ever be able to convince me that the people here who helped me live the life I am living now are anything but angels.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frescacan View Post
I'm confused...in your estimation, how much longer will it be until you finally recover? Thanks.
Keep coming back and your confusion may pass.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:16 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

hey, there was recovery way long before any program, or internet...

three simple things...

a belief in something...

real honesty...

and freely giving...

bottom line!

happy recovering!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Recovering Vs recovered, who cares?

The AA big book says 'recovered' although most people in AA (that I know) say 'recovering'.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Recovering Vs recovered, who cares?

The AA big book says 'recovered' although most people in AA (that I know) say 'recovering'.
It matters because the message is inaccurate. Recovering people think that you can't recover and the big book says you can.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So what?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm confused...I thought that working with others was what mattered. How does YOUR road to recovery work?
I'm confused...in your estimation, how much longer will it be until you finally recover? Thanks.
It matters because the message is inaccurate. Recovering people think that you can't recover and the big book says you can.

I forgot to welcome you frescacan... so welcome !

Now, are you confused or do you have an agenda ?
Old 12-12-2007, 05:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know I can only share my experience in what worked for me, I am an alcoholic of the hopeless variety, I found my recovery in AA after many years (10) of trying to recover my way. It only took me 30 years of drinking before I figured out I may need to slow down a bit and 10 years after that to begin recovery, today thanks to AA I am recovered.

I will fully support any program or methed that leads another alcoholic to recovery, I will not knock it, heck it may have worked for me but if I have no experience in it then all I can do is say congrats on your time sober!

What ever path to recovery some one finds is good with me, if it works for you go for it and please share it with others here, the more paths to sobriety the better!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey Laura, I know what you are talking about. I was letting it bother me a great deal. I have come to realize most people do it with the best of intentions. I also decided that I can not let small irritations affect my sobriety. I learn and receive so much positive influence by coming to this site, it has helped me significantly. I encourage you to use the site for what it has to offer. This site is full of people that truly want to help you and me stay sober. Reguardless of what method, a lasting sobriety is the result everyone here is working towards.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

I have chosen my own path, fingers crossed it's going well.

I still need support which I'm able to get from around me and also this forum is a great source of encouragement and advice.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

seriously, of course we get well or at least I hope so .

It takes as long as it takes. I don't belive anyone can
truely give advice for another...especially here on line
on a message board.

We can try to support one another.

hopefully there's commonsense in there somewhere.

it's as simple as this...check under your own hood.

nobody knows me or can get to really know me
accept me. I'm the best person that can evauate myself best.
My thought, my emotions, my perception of the world.

Of course there's not going to be one particular way to recovery.

it's as simple as i wouldn't take my Chevy into a Ford dealer
to have repair...Yes, both automobiles in general.
But chevy is not built the same as a ford.
Simply...the spark plug fire sequence on a chevy is backwards
from a ford.

it's as simple as no one can breath for me...recovery is like so.
Yes..life is unfair but i don't have to use over it.

so if I tell you it takes 1 year as a time line....then you have to do my way.
But you're not going to like doing it my way...something about size of shoes
don't fit all and not knowing what it's like until you walk in someone else's shoes...rather, rahter.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
let it grow!

great thread! so thanks. and i'm confused. as always...

Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

But tehres a stduy proevn taht you suhold be albe to
cmoprhoned waht i witre if i ptu olny the frist and
lsat ltetres of a wrod croretlcy
Uh, Oh! Now, I'm really concerned...in that, I'm not only not confused, but I just understood every word, SaTiT!!!

Well, this over-the-hill alcoholic maintains that I am "recovering"...I'm still a work in progress...so, sadly (according to many of you), I'll never be "recovered"; but, I can live with the semantics...just as long as I don't drink!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
Uh, Oh! Now, I'm really concerned...in that, I'm not only not confused, but I just understood every word, SaTiT!!!

Well, this over-the-hill alcoholic maintains that I am "recovering"...I'm still a work in progress...so, sadly (according to many of you), I'll never be "recovered"; but, I can live with the semantics...just as long as I don't drink!
Grab your big book and read the title page and the top of page 85. It will help you come back to this side of the hill.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I consider myself recovering because 1) I will always be "working" on myself in one way or another. 2) My dad is a recovering alcoholic and I remember as a kid he told us kids about it and he talked about how it was called "recovering" because "once you're an alcoholic you're always an alcoholic". It made sense to me and still does. By the way, my dad is an AAer, follows the steps and has been sober for 40ish years. I trust him. Besides, don't dad's know everything?

I use MY CHOICE of RECOVERY and it works for ME. I've been sober for 2 years and 9 days. It's worked for me so far.

I've been around here for quite some time and I know that those who have chosen a different path to recovery are glad that I'm here and sober.....no matter how I got here.

We might all travel on a different path but we're all trying to get to the same place and I know that none of us are here to be judged on trying to better ourselves. We're just here because we need to work on ourselves. We're looking for support and understanding and compassion and tolerance. Simple as that.

I don't care how you get sober, if that's what you need in order to be happy, stay alive, and live a productive life, then just get there how ever you need to.

-------
Laura: I understand your frustration but I do believe SR is a very diverse and tolerant place. Just remember, we're all people and we all have flaws. I'm not an AAer myself but do enjoy reading about it and others experiences with it. I've not had anyone attack or bother me about my chosen path. If that did happen, I'd ignore it because after all my recovery is about ME not anyone else.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Now who's pushing a certain method?

Jersey doesn't need preaching to and we can't grow younger.

You bug me.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I did as you suggested, and see what you mean. However, I guess I'm just a stubborn old alcoholic...I've been "in recovery" since 1979...I'm "still recovering", and hopefully will be until they toss the last shovel of dirt over me.

Here's an excerpt from the Big Book Bunch (a group that studies the Big Book):

How often have you been asked by a well-meaning A.A. friend, "Are you recovering or are you recovered"? This little chip of a document may throw some light upon your grasp of the question and its answer.

COUNT OF WORDS CONTAINING
RECOVER recovery
... 34
recover ... 24
recovered ... 17

recoveries ..... 3

recovers ..... 2

recovering ..... 2

total ... 82
We have searched our Big Book (Alcoholics Anonymous) for the root recover. We found it 82 times.

Within the context of Alcoholics Anonymous, the synonyms restored or healed are usually an appropriate definition of the recover root.

For those who seek a cure, the root cure occurs only 4 times in the Big Book, and in no instance does it mean that the fundamental cause or malady is completely taken away—sorry. Nor does the Big Book allow us to sneak the impression that we are normal folk again, and that we can drink like they do. It is clear that eternal vigilance is the shield.

If you consider yourself "recovering" in order to maintain the consciousness that you must never drink, so be it. If you consider yourself "recovered" because the Big Book says that's the way we get, then so be that, too. Either way you will be a winner—you won't drink, and you will base your program of recovery on the teachings of the Big Book.