Notices

New here

Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Well I don't really know what to say here. My life is in bad shape. I am confused and depressed. I love my family but am going to lose them if I can't get control of this demon alcohol. I have scheduled myself for counseling sessions to try to help along and am hopeful that I can get some support from here as well. What else do I say here? I just don't know.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR. You are in the right place! We have alot of people here who have the same or similar experience as you. You don't have to face this by yourself, you can find sobriety with the help of friends here and a good program of recovery.
It's nice to meet you.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Welcome...this is a good place to start. Hopefully, your counsellor will be very experienced in dealing with alcoholics/alcoholism and will recommend a program of recovery through AA. I know there are other alternatives, but the only one with which I have any first-hand knowledge is AA, and I do know it works.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome . Counselling is a great start... as is using this forum for support. Say as much as you like... or just read. There's tons of info here.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi- you're in the right place. As others have said, there are various programs to help you. Find the one that's right for you, and don't let anyone tell you that you must use their way. One size does not fit all. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first suggestion would be to find an AA meeting and a Big Book. Start at the begining where it says Alcoholics Anonymous in bold print. Read the first 43 pages and if that sounds like you then it's time to get a sponsor and work the steps. I would suggest you find someone who is serious about it and doesn't allow you to take your time. If you want it bad enough to do what it takes it'll work. If you need anything my email is in my profile. Feel free to email me.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
believer

Just want to welcome you and tell you this place is a good support for sobriety and life in general...

stay strong, you deserve the best life you can get!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here

Welcome!
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!
Congrats on recognizing you have a problem. It may feel horrible but denial is much worse. Sobriety is possible and it does get better (with lots of work mind you :-) ) Look forward to seeing your posts.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

a very warm welcome Hlpdrinks

your not alone here, its wonderful youve made the first step in recognising you have a problem

thats why all of us are here, to support one another

i hope you stay around and shout when you need help

Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

The 1st step to recovery is to admit that you are powerless.
It would be a shame to lose your family. it would be awesome if you got your self into a recovery program today.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR you've come to the right place, I hope you make yourself comfortable and keep on posting we're here for each other.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
06f.gif (28.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-12-2007, 03:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Hlpdrinks,
I went to counselling too when I couldn't take the drinking life anymore. It didn't work for me, but only because I wasn't listening. I thought I was smarter than them.- Or maybe I was listening - he suggested AA, but I had some drinking to do, so I didn't go. Four months, three cracked ribs, a broken knee, two lost teeth, a broken finger, and about 10,000 dollars later (conservative estimate), I staggered into AA ready to listen. That was 11 1/2 years ago.. I haven't had a drink since. Whatever it takes. Good luck and keep posting.
Mike in Boston