Notices

The Empty Cartridge challenge: need some brave people

Old 11-19-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Empty Cartridge challenge: need some brave people

I am not a wiley veteran of SR, so I can't imagine what it is like for those that have been on the forum for a very long time.

It's frustrating to me to see so many "new here," "I need help," etc., and then never hearing from them again. With that said, I almost became that guy as well: One and Done.

I struggled with taking that first step to stop drinking. I came onto the board with the words that I wanted to quit, but it took some time for me to come up with action. I was frightened, intimidated, and to tell you the truth, I really didn't want to stop. I think I was secretely hoping that someone here would say "Eh, you don't really have a drinking problem."

Well, I don't have a drinking problem anymore. I am a recovering alcoholic that doesn't drink, and struggles with sobriety every day. You can see that digression and progression here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-problem.html

I would like to have a bunch of you new visitors, or those that are finally coming to the realization that it is a "stop or die" situation, to face their fears, face their lives and responsibilities, and join me in quitting and recovery.

I am not done with recovery. I have days, weeks, months, and years left to go. But three weeks ago, I was downing 14 beers a day, every day, fairly consistently over an 18 year period.

So come and take the EC challenge, and make a commitment to recovery....today! This is not to eliminate "New here - need advice" threads, or to demean the overall support of the SR forum...it is the best! But instead, making a team of people that are all in it together, and responsible to each other for their sobriety. I could use the support of the EC Challenge team in my recovery as well.

1. Post here of your commitment, and I will add you to the team.
2. Make an appointment with your doctor, tell them everything, and work with them on a game plan. Doctors help...they don't scold or judge or demean. If you walk in with a constitution to quit, they will help you. They will.
3. Prepare a nutritional plan to assist in the recovery process. I cannot stress this enough: if your body is not assisted in this, it will rebel.
4. Tell a trusted, supportive friend of your goal. This will help you in social situations, as well as giving you local support when you go through withdrawls or tough social situations.
5. Go to a meeting. At least one.
6. Post here of your sober date and progress/digress, and don't be ashamed of breakdowns.

If I can encourage one person to make that step and maintain their progress, I will be happy. DO IT!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The Empty Cartridge Challenge Team:

EC - Commitment date: 10/29/07.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

*bump*
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought I would give this one more bump to see if anyone really wants to quit, and have some direct support.

It's one thing to say you have a problem. It's another thing to do something about it.