Notices

Thinking of drinking

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

thank you for the honest post. it really made me think. i've had my moments in sobriety where i questioned whether or not i was alcoholic myself. i never liked to get drunk, but you dont have to get drunk to be alcoholic. you just have to have an allergic reaction that triggers a phenonemon of craving (which i do for drugs). so i am, without a doubt, alcoholic.

coming up on 22 months and i the thought of drinking stillcrosses my mind. like someone else stated, the obsession has been lifted a long time ago. but the split second thought still happens now and again.

anyways i have alot going on my personal life....new girlfriend....new sponsee....and i dont know what direction im headed in. love is a scary thing for me. im afraid of getting hurt. so i need to stick close to AA right now more than ever.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saxony View Post
Well I am not going to drink today.
Good decision.

I don't think I do want to drink, not really
Either you want to drink or you don't want to drink. Either the desire is there or it isn't. There is nothing to think about.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried the moderation thing also and I found myself having to force myself to drink less and I could do it when I had to but I didnt like it and I found myself obssessing over alcohol on a daily basis and I also was doing the same w/xanax which I was addicted to and now dont or let me say afraid to take xanax again cause I was so strung out I had to take 2mg every 5 hours just to feel normal and had to drink about 3 beers every 3-4 hours to feel normal cause if I didnt I would start shaking which is what made me decide to check myself into detox about 4 months ago. If you think you are an alcoholic and trying to use moderation and you have had legal, family, job-related or relationship problems you are an alcoholic.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your responses it really does mean a lot to me. I am not going to try moderation, like so many of you have said it will only lead me back to where I was or worse. I know that really, it's kind of obvious to me today. If I could drink normally I wouldn't have had to quit in the first place. I think my addict was looking for a way in and it almost found it.

If I wasn't an alcoholic I wouldn't have sat there yesterday trying to work out what and how much to buy so I wouldn't be to hungover. These are not the thoughts of a "normal" drinker, especially when the minimum I know I would have drank is a bottle of wine. I don't even like wine! I just know that I can function the next day after a bottle, I also know that if I only drank one bottle the craving would be there, what I don't know is whether I would have got more after the first one. Besides that, I am pretty sure "normal" drinkers don't drink the whole bottle lol. I can see all that today, but for some reason it eluded me yesterday.

Anyway I am so grateful for your advive and the fact I did not pick up yesterday, my toddler is teething and was awake alot of the night and one of my other daughters woke up at 6.30 with an upset tummy, so I have only had about 4 hours sleep, yet I feel good, I don't think I would be saying that if I had tried moderation

Sax
Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This is right out of the 4th edition Pg419
When I focus on the bad, I have a bad day. When I focus on the good, I have a good day. If I focus on a problem, the problem increases. When I focus on an answer, the answer increases.

I don't know if you got anything out of that, or if it helps with your desire to drink. I read it a lot and it usually helps me come up with an answer of some sort.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you, Sax. Your children have a sober mommy today to nurture them, and that's wonderful.
Have a for working so hard.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your responses it really does mean a lot to me. I am not going to try moderation, like so many of you have said it will only lead me back to where I was or worse. I know that really, it's kind of obvious to me today. If I could drink normally I wouldn't have had to quit in the first place. I think my addict was looking for a way in and it almost found it.

If I wasn't an alcoholic I wouldn't have sat there yesterday trying to work out what and how much to buy so I wouldn't be to hungover. These are not the thoughts of a "normal" drinker, especially when the minimum I know I would have drank is a bottle of wine. I don't even like wine! I just know that I can function the next day after a bottle, I also know that if I only drank one bottle the craving would be there, what I don't know is whether I would have got more after the first one. Besides that, I am pretty sure "normal" drinkers don't drink the whole bottle lol. I can see all that today, but for some reason it eluded me yesterday.

Anyway I am so grateful for your advice and the fact I did not pick up yesterday, my toddler is teething and was awake alot of the night and one of my other daughters woke up at 6.30 with an upset tummy, so I have only had about 4 hours sleep, yet I feel good, I don't think I would be saying that if I had tried moderation

Sax

You said it all, right there Sax. Well done.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good for you Sax. It's so much better being sober. Even on our bad days. That's something i always have to remind myself.

Barb
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I am so proud of you for not giving in Saxony .
Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Good for you. Very happy for you.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Paused

:comfort See this is the wonderful thing about SR everyone helping each other. You are all great

Sax, you are on the right track and that is excellent, good for you.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Goodonya Sax , one day at a time is the way to go

Well done

HUGX
Leigh