Notices

i failed

Old 11-17-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i failed

Well, my plans on going to an AA meeting Thusday got superceded by getting drunk instead. I was on day four. Now I'm back to day two.

I'd ask for advice about what's wrong with me, but I already know; I'm an alcoholic and drink is what alcoholics do.

Funny thing is, I have a friend who has 25 years sober. He owns the local liquor store no less.
I get a lot of inspiration from him. I think I'll ask him to take me to a meeting.

I'm just rambling, I guess. I've picked myelf up and am starting anew again.
One thing, I bought a twelve pack when I drank and drank 7 of them. The other 5 I poured down the drain. Normaly, I would have woken up and had them for breakfast.
That's a little bit of improvement.

I know a lot of you here have been in my situation, so I know I'm, not alone.

I will not drink today.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ghostlight,

Early sobriety can be most challenging...I had to fall a few times before I got it right...

Good job in being sober for today..Keep trying, you can do this...:comfort
Old 11-17-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only failure is failing to try. Doesn't sound like you're giving up at all so no you didn't fail. You slipped but you picked yourself back up.

I had a heck of a time getting started with false starts, tapering all the while going to meetings. The meetings were awesome and the stories I heard were what gave me the courage and fatih to put the drink down one and for all. That was almost 3.5 years ago. Hang in there, you can do this if you really want it. I think it would be a great idea to have someone who already goes to meetings go with you. It will make it less intimidating. But even if you go by yourself just remember they are not a room full of strangers, they are a room full of friends you just haven't met yet.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

The only failure is in not trying...if at first you don't succeed, etc.

The Oldtimers used to have some pretty "salty" sayings, like "Don't drink, if your a$$ falls off. And, if your a$$ falls off, pick it up and carry it to a meeting!"

Don't drink today, and get to a meeting as soon as you can!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ghostlight,
As you can see I sure there are few who just stopped and never looked back. I have come a long ways in these past three and a half weeks. I gone from a 12 pack+ a day to Two or three a weekend. No drinking during the week. I am working on getting through a solid weekend and I think I will finally be on my way. I consider this a great victory not a failure. As long as I continue to work at it. I will do this!
My wife whittengirl will have three weeks on Monday and she is an inspiration and a big reason I am quitting.
Good luck to all, and keep posting
Old 11-17-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm on day 4 Ghostlight.

I'm doing OK but a day seems much longer when I don't drink. Instead of wasting my life in a drunken vegetative state for about 10 hours a day - I'm going to have to find something constructive to do.

Anyway, well done on getting back on track after a fall. It helps me to know how hard other people fight.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

7 beers isn't too bad in terms of withdrawals. I guess at the worst it could have degenerated into as you said, waking up and drinking for breakfast, and maybe continuing to drink throughout the day, and then repeating.

well anyway, they say each time you "relapse" that you learn a little bit more..good luck
Old 11-17-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Ghostlight, as long as you are trying you are not failing. Sending prayers your way. GH
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm pleased to hear you're not drinking today. One moment at a time, remember.
I guess you've got to make a plan of action and figuer out why you feel off the wagon last time. What could you have done diffrently; what didn't you do; what can you do to avoid that from happening again in the future.
Let us know how you're getting on.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It took me a few kicks at the cat before I was willing to get sober, myself. I'm glad you're not giving up, and hope you call your friend and get him to take you to that meeting. You can do this.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

All we can really do is not use for today.
Great job on pouring the rest down the drain.
That takes alot of strength.
Never give up...EVER!!!!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The hardest part for me has been: what do I do with all of my time?

Everything I used to do was scheduled around drinking. "Let's watch the big game today...BEER! Let's go hit on girls....MARTINIS! I'm going to stay home tonight and watch a movie....12 PACK! I'm done with work for the day.....HAPPY HOUR!

I haven't done the meetings yet (not sure if I am going to or need to), but what has helped me is being responsible for my progress to trusted friends. My best friend (1000 miles away) checks on me almost daily. My two best friends in town call or email every day just to ask how I am doing. One of them said "Any time you want to go do something, anything booze-free, I'm down."

I can't stress enough the nutrional needs in the days after stopping drinking. If you concentrate on diet, nutrition, supplements, etc., it will help with your mentality. If you are doing good things for your body, it may help prevent you from doing things that hurt it.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

'morning Ghost

You have not failed !

and yes, pouring out the booze left is a step forward
I have heard it said in the rooms of AA that AA will spoil your drinking, and it seems it is true
That is a very good idea to ask your friend to take you to a meeting, he will be so pleased to do it , and that is what the fellowship of AA is about, mutual support

Congrats on your day 2, "One day at a time" you can do this

HUGX
Leigh
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You can do this. I kept myself drunk for 20 years because of that same thought.

That is what alcoholics do is drink. And you do not have to do that because there is a lot of alcoholics that don't drink.

I wish you the best.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughts, hope and encouragement. It means a lot to me.
I went and talked to my AA friend. I want what he has. Freedom, happiness and a good sober life.

You all here are doing it, or trying like me. No drink today.

Thank you all again.

Ghost
Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Board.

I have to say it's always a pleasure to see someone arrive with some real determination, coupled with humility and willingness to take advice and try new approaches.

IMHO, one of the biggest keys to getting this thing right is to listen to the people that have been there and made the mistakes already so you don't have to. I know that's what I did, and what I still try to do.

Congratulations on day one, and you done good on dumping the beers. You got the right mentality, my friend, DON'T GIVE UP. You *can* do this thing, you just have to want it bad enough and be willing to WORK for the results.

I hope you enjoy your meeting with your friend, and try to remember to focus on the similiarities you hear to your story rather than the differences. Focusing on differences is how our addictive mind tries to trick us into thinking that maybe we don't have the disease. The differences you hear are probably just the things that haven't happened to you ... yet.

Keep posting, we're here to help