Notices

Still unmanageable?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Still unmanageable?

72 days here, one day at a time. This is my first (and hopefully, last) attempt at sobriety. My alcoholism in the last four years took the form of sitting in my messy apartment, drinking wine or beer, smoking cigarettes, watching TV, and surfing the Internet.

Since getting sober it consists of sitting in my messy apartment, drinking Diet Coke, smoking cigarettes, watching TV, and surfing the Internet.

I go to meetings, have a sponsor, am working with him on the steps, and do not feel like drinking, yet not much has changed.

My desire to go to the gym, get out of my apartment and socialize, and do all those things I promised I would do when I stopped drinking is absolutely nill.

Anyone have thoughts? I suppose one can be sober and a lazy **** at the same time. I know these are things I'll need to deal with through the steps, but I'm still working on getting past 90 days.

Michael
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RJS

Every non-drunk I know has a laundry list of shoulda-coulda-woulda. Welcome to real life!
The solution I have found to getting into something not in my comfortable routine is painful but it works.....DO IT. Get the body there and the mind will follow.
Wish it worked the other way around, but it doesn't.
Keep coming back!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why havent you got out of your apartment? It is not easy and it takes alot of work. Just look inside yourself and you can do it. Just take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. There is a whole world out there and when you are ready you will experince. Just be true to yourself and give it up to your HP and things will change. Goodluck and keep posting.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right now you're working on the big stuff. That's staying Sober and trying to put Alcoholism behind you. Concern yourself with the details later. It's like Moving. You load up all your stuff and move. You unload the stuff into your new home and it takes a year to unpack the boxes.
Bill warns us of trying to fix everything at once. Naturally as Alcoholics we tend to bite off more than we can chew in most cases. The same can be said about fixing your life. If you try to fix everything at once you won't see the progress you expected and become depressed and discontent with your decision to sober up.
My advise for now is to grab your remote and see what happens. Have a bowl of Ice Cream too.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep working on the number one thing, staying sober, and everything else will come together as it is supposed to.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi -

I know that at 72 days - I was not well. I didn't know it then - other than the whole alcoholism thing ... but I know it now.

We only have today.

You've got to give yourself time to get 'well'.
You're workng with a sponsor - going to meetings ... not drinking in between.
That's pretty much the formula.
Life ...isn't a Hallmark movie.
Healing takes time.
It took however many years of drinking to wind up at your bottom ...
It's going to take a bit of time ... to get out of the basement.

And healing ... often doesn't LOOK like healing ... when it's happening.
An 'adventure' is almost NEVER fun ... when it's happening.

We've only got today.
SO today ... clear off the bathroom counter top.
Wipe out the sink or something.

just today.

don't think about tomorrow.
we'll think about that ... then.

You didn't drink today.

:support
Old 11-17-2007, 01:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...good to see you are still sober

Are you aware of PAWS?

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Keep in touch...
Old 11-17-2007, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was just over four months of sobriety when I decided enough is enough about being lazy...I exercise everyday and I feel so much better...

Trouble is getting started but once you do, you will want to continue...:morning
Old 11-17-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Depression?

It happens.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I don't think it's depression. My psychiatrist and I have pretty much ruled that out. Her verdict seems to be "give yourself a break and do one thing a day that you don't want to do." Thanks for the helpful replies, though.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lurker

I would have to suggest getting up, and doing something. Exercise would be a good thing. After all whatb good is sobriety if you are not going to be happy.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

first off congrats on 72 days, having a sponsor, and working with him. cut your self some slack!!! at 72 days i was still very very sick. the first year my life was totally unmanageable! hell, im at 21+ months and still unmanageable! today i went to macy's and bought a $165 lacoste hoodie that i couldnt afford. progress not perfection....cut yourself some slack.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Please get up and do something cause I have been the same and I have drank a few times cause I was bored and had some people on my street I used to drink with before I quit and I slipped back, and I am starting a job on Monday so with that and the fact I have started going to AA I am hoping that will keep me totally sober like I want to be. and without the days I drank it would be 112 days sober.

Last edited by NEEDTOBESOBER; 11-17-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: left out sentence
Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time,i think in your circumstances i wouldn't be able to continue for too long.Keep busy and be try and be positive,gradually change things around and best wishes.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Micheal, I'm on Day 54 and I'm not very socially active either. I don't have many (any?) friends to hang out with
I think it takes a while to adjust to life without alcohol.
Be paitaint (sp?)