Notices

I am quitting today Part 2

Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Not drinking today - day 11.

Feeling a bit fed up. I think I get that S.A.D. thing at bit (seasonal affected disorder) at this time of year. Apparently, sunlight triggers the production of serotonin, and lack of it leads to a serotonin deficiency in many. It causes mild depression and tiredness. I'm using a bright lights on my desk to try to stimulate serotonin production (bright lights are supposed to ease S.A.D. symptoms).

Not really tempted to drink (that might be because I'm just loafing about and not going out boozing or partying).

Oh well - I think I'll dig out a few favourite movies on DVD.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Not drinking today - day 12.

Cold cold cold - grim weather round here. In 2 days it will be the shortest day of the year in the northern hemisphere (least length of daylight) and then it starts getting lighter - hooray!

Just a few days to go and then it's time for full-time loafing for a week. I think I need more chocolates.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whittenboy View Post
Wow aldo,
Nothing seems to have changed in the neighbor situation

yes it has! check out my last post on this thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1609336
Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManchurianC View Post
That's the problem with liver damage from booze - you are OK one minute and then you damage the organ beyond return and you're dead very quickly.
i wouldn't say very quickly. in fact allot of people say dying from alcoholism is a very slow and very painful way to die.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:11 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

He he he - I'm not popular am I? Nobody reads this thread. Anyway, It will do as sort of diary for me.
aaawwww!!!!!!! :ghug3
Old 12-21-2007, 08:24 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hello Aldo - nice to see you back ("step away from the chocolates".)

Not drinking today - day 13.

Had a terrible urge to drink today so have ducked out of a gathering this evening. I know if I go out I will start boozing and that it will probably last into 2008 before I stop, and by then I will be in a right state. So it's a bit of self-enforced enforced loneliness on the Friday before Christmas to make sure I stay sober.

I'm not too unhappy about 'the party' - seeing people (desperately) drunk and raucous disgusts me now, and is not my idea of fun. I'm going to cook a decent meal (from scratch), play a multi-player Internet game (with ciber pals) for a bit, and maybe play a few blues licks on my old guitar (Westone Thunder IA).

The weather people say it's going to get a lot warmer in Britain over the weekend - so I'm looking forward to getting on my bike for a long ride in the country.

Stay well
Old 12-22-2007, 12:49 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hello Aldo - nice to see you back ("step away from the chocolates".)

Not drinking today - day 13.

Had a terrible urge to drink today so have ducked out of a gathering this evening. I know if I go out I will start boozing and that it will probably last into 2008 before I stop, and by then I will be in a right state. So it's a bit of self-enforced enforced loneliness on the Friday before Christmas to make sure I stay sober.

I'm not too unhappy about 'the party' - seeing people (desperately) drunk and raucous disgusts me now, and is not my idea of fun. I'm going to cook a decent meal (from scratch), play a multi-player Internet game (with ciber pals) for a bit, and maybe play a few blues licks on my old guitar (Westone Thunder IA).

The weather people say it's going to get a lot warmer in Britain over the weekend - so I'm looking forward to getting on my bike for a long ride in the country.

Stay well
Hi!
Yea, don't worry I'm keeping away from the alcoholic chocolates. I'm limiting myself to Twix's (Twixs? Twixes? ) at the moment.
I can't say I'm looking forward to xmas and the new year much. The next couple of weeks are going to be more lonley then usual for me. But that's ok. I don't mind being alone. The only thing that gets to me about staying at home alone so much is i tend to worry about what my neighbours will think of me.
So, even though I don't really know how to play, I also intend to play allot of guitar (Fender Telecaster) over the next few weeks.
In fact you mentioned you play blues. I came up with a very basic blues riff today. I'll tab it for you:

-----------------------------
-------------------------3-4-
--2-2-4--2-2-4--2-2-4-2-----

i've just been repeating that. it's ok but i need to elaboarte it as it's just a very basic riff.
Well done on your 13 Days. That's very good. Don't give in to temptation.
Have a nice evening.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm back after a grim relapse.

6 days of drinking ....... anyway I'm back to trying to quit, which is a step up from being drunk.

It is so bloody hard. I start feeling normal-happy after a week of sober, so I'm not in despair, but I do feel disgusted with myself.

hello Aldo.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It is so bloody hard.
And then some!

I have had many false starts, and I am finding from this site that I have a lot to learn.

Congratulations on this start! I wish you the best
Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 2 - not drinking today.

Feeling better - that's the good thing about quitting, your self-respect and sense of 'hope' improves as soon as you stop drinking.

Thanks for encouragement awake.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

This is it. This is the day. I quit!

Thank you all at SR! Your example and experiences do help.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Day 2 - not drinking today.

Feeling better - that's the good thing about quitting, your self-respect and sense of 'hope' improves as soon as you stop drinking.

Thanks for encouragement awake.
Glad to hear it!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevin 311 View Post

Congratulations!!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

That is fantastic. Great news Kevin. There is a link to some quotes from "Under the Influence" in the alcoholism forum, you may find the book useful to you right now. It does have some good nutritional suggestions. Keep us posted.

Do you have a plan yet on how you are going to quit?
Have you considered a program of recovery? If so there is also a link to information on several recovery programs, I believe that is under the alcoholism section also.

:ghug
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Here are links to the two areas I spoke of in my last post.

Under the Influence excerpts:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Recovery programs:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

thanks, awake and nandm!

I have already quit, and I do have a plan for how to maintain and cultivate sobriety. There are some AA meetings here that I enjoy attending. I'm already a daily meditator. I also have several recovery-related books including both Under and Beyond the Influence. I've been a reader of spiritual literature since I was a teenager (I'm 48 now). Thanks for the recommendations and links, nandm!

Of course now I'll have to watch out for internet addiction
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Day 3 - not drinking.

Slept for 12 hours and feeling quite happy.

Tomorrow is a big day. New-years-eve is the years most must drink day in the UK, and I am going to do my utmost not to drink. I've got the ingredients in to cook an exotic lamb dish, and I've made some cake. I don't want to be around drinkers, so I'll be on my own (new-years parties are always desperately bad, so I'm not missing anything).

Anyway, happy new year and best wishes to all my fellow addicts.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

thanks, awake and nandm!

I have already quit, and I do have a plan for how to maintain and cultivate sobriety. There are some AA meetings here that I enjoy attending. I'm already a daily meditator. I also have several recovery-related books including both Under and Beyond the Influence. I've been a reader of spiritual literature since I was a teenager (I'm 48 now). Thanks for the recommendations and links, nandm!

Of course now I'll have to watch out for internet addiction
It's great to hear you have tools ready to help. I wish you the best
Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 3 - not drinking.

Slept for 12 hours and feeling quite happy.

Tomorrow is a big day. New-years-eve is the years most must drink day in the UK, and I am going to do my utmost not to drink. I've got the ingredients in to cook an exotic lamb dish, and I've made some cake. I don't want to be around drinkers, so I'll be on my own (new-years parties are always desperately bad, so I'm not missing anything).

Anyway, happy new year and best wishes to all my fellow addicts.

Sounds like you have made some good plans to get through a rough day. It is so awesome when you wake up on the other side
Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Day 19

Feeling a bit miserable. Fed up with winter and being exhausted. I suppose it takes a while to get comfortable with not drinking. Anyway, the urges to drink are tailing off, so each day gets just a little bit better.