Notices

I am quitting today Part 2

Old 11-23-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Day 10 - doing OK but everybody in the UK seems a bit depressed by taxes and government oppression.

Monthly fixed costs for fuel, food, insurance and of course taxes are spiralling out of control and many people can't cope.

Friday night is a terrible night in the UK. Millions of people get violent drunk and the streets are not safe. There will be the sound of breaking glass, damage being done to cars and property, and shouting and screaming in the streets until the early hours of the morning.

I hate Fridays.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManchurianC View Post
Friday night is a terrible night in the UK. Millions of people get violent drunk and the streets are not safe. There will be the sound of breaking glass, damage being done to cars and property, and shouting and screaming in the streets until the early hours of the morning.
I hate Fridays.
Congratulatyions on your 10 Days! That's really good. You keep on going strong ok!

Yea I don't really like the weekends much either. Think how fortunate you are that you don't have to be drinking on the streets (on in them pretty pubs yous have over in england) tonight with all thoese trouble makers.
May I take the liberty to sugest, if you really don't like going out on fridays and/or if you think your sobriety may be at risk, to stay home tonight and watch a movie, eat some ice cream, chill out, relax.
I hope you have a nice evening.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 11 - not drinking today.

I'm still waking up feeling hungover. It goes away quicker than a real hangover, but it's weird feeling hungover when I have not been drinking.

I'm just moping about not doing much. I don't feel unhappy but I can't be bothered to do anything.

People are acting kind of surprised when we meet and chat - I used to think I was not acting drunk when I was drunk, but it seems I was, and people are surprised recently that I'm not intoxicated when we chat.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day 12 - not drinking.

Bought myself a little TV for the bedroom today (I have started waking up at 5.00am and would rather watch a bit of TV in bed than get up so early -- when I was drinking I needed a clock alarm, phone alarm and a radio alarm to get me out of my drunken slumber.

I have this feeling of inevitability that I am going to drink on Christmas day. I'll work on it to try to get rid of the idea of this appointment with failure, distress and unhappiness.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=aldo1980;1573026][QUOTE=ManchurianC;1573011]Had a bad moment in the supermarket today. The closer I got to the booze section, the more my mouth was watering and I was slavering like a dog when I had to go through it to get to the sweets.

The same happened to me a few weeks ago. I was lingering around the booze section for a good 5 to 10 mins. It needed a llot of will power to walk away.
That was probably one of the worst moments of my recovery so far.
I'm pleased to hear you're doing well and congratulations on your 8th Day, that's very good. Keep on going strong!
Have a nice evening.
That was a big part of my Thanksgiving relapse. I dropped off a prescription at the pharmacy and was told they would call me when it was ready. As I waited, I gravitated towards the beer aisle. When my prescription was called over the loudspeaker, my cart was loaded with beer.

Right back to square one, though I am now on day three. Again.:comfort
Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 13 - not drinking.

Feeling a bit tired and fed up. I think I'll try and do some 'fun' stuff tomorrow - it's boring being washed-out and melancholy all the time (I'll force myself to have some fun).
Old 11-27-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

2 weeks today.

I made the stupid mistake of thinking I could use up the calories I consumed in alcohol (about 1000 calories per day) on other stuff, like sweets and cakes and other treats for not drinking.

It's only been 2 weeks and I can barely get my pants on (big gut).

He he he - I'm not popular am I? Nobody reads this thread. Anyway, It will do as sort of diary for me.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh - some posts have gone from the thread.

Anyway - 22 days today.

Still sleeping too much but gradually feeling better.

I calculate that I have not consumed more than 25,000 calories (in booze) in my 22 day quit. I think I have lost a bit of weight but I've been eating more than normal (good food, but big portions).
Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 23 - not drinking today.

One of neighbours has died from drinking. We were not best mates but had enjoyable chats when we bumped into each other.

He was very thin and I knew he drank a lot (it takes on to know one), but he seemed in reasonable general health and was very active.

His liver just packed up, he was very ill for a few weeks, and then died. That's the problem with liver damage from booze - you are OK one minute and then you damage the organ beyond return and you're dead very quickly.

On that happy note, well done me and all the others trying to be sober.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Oh dear!

In the supermarket today and kind of drifted to the booze sections and bought 2 litre bottle of 6% alcohol cider.

Got home, drunk it (could not stop), and it gave me no pleasure at all - just feel a bit sick and have like a premature hangover.

I wouldn't mind being addicted to something that gave me pleasure and made me feel better - but booze is just addiction with not up-side.

Weak, weak, weak - I'm sort of glad I failed as I now know drinking is all pain and no gain.

Back to day 0 - bugger!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Done over a day - not drinking today.

I think the trick is get back on the horse as quickly as possible, as it were, after a relapse

Regarding my relapse (previous post), I looked at the label on the cider and it was 5.5% alcohol - so 2 litres = 11 units of alcohol consumed. Not much, but I hadn't drunk for 24 days and had hardly drunk in the month prior to that (I was detoxing).

I was really surprised. I got no pleasure at all from drinking the cider, seemed to be drunk for ages, slept badly and woke up feeling dog-rough.

Anyway, back on track and I'm not beating myself up
Old 12-08-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Goos to see you back on track MC...yep after a period of abstinence you find it bites harder...

next time leave the cider on the shelf hey?

D
Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Not drinking today.

The weather is grim in the UK and people are knocking each other about in the shops buying anything that is plastic and shiny.

Shortest day in 10 days and then it starts getting lighter -hooray!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Not drinking today.

Stressed out - the price of things has gone crazy in the UK. I can manage but I'm finding it hard to save, and the thought of being poor frightens me.

I met an old friend today (who as always been a heavy drinker) and boy was I shocked. He was emaciated and his face was as red as a lobster. His wife looked at me sort of embarrassed and desperate.

There was nothing I could do. He looked at me with that "I'm in the final stages and drinking myself to death as quickly as possible" way (seen it a few times before - there was no mistake).

Oh well -roll on summer.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Not drinking today.

If I pull my guts in a bit I can make my stomach look flat. Another little incentive to not drink.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

He he he - I'm not popular am I? Nobody reads this thread. Anyway, It will do as sort of diary for me.
had to giggle at you talking to yourself

hey manchurian, i can appreciate your weather im just of the water in northern ireland, and also the prices in the stores,

ive had to buy for 5 kids this year............eek

anyways was reading your posts......stay away from the drink my friend..and dont worry about the gut:ghug3
Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hello caitlin666

Not drinking today (and not going to any parties either [Billy-no-mates])

I can feel my subconscious coming to terms with the fact that alcohol is deadly poison for me and I simply must not drink. -There is no safe level for me now -- I have broken all the taboos (drinking in the morning, not eating to get a bigger hit etc.) and social drinking is not possible.

I need to come up with a really nice pleasure drink. I don't want any fake wines or beers because: 1) they contain some alcohol; 2) they are expensive; 3) they are triggers to drink 'real' booze; and 4) they taste rotten - like chemical toxic waste.

I'll experiment and post the results if I come up with something good.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Not drinking today

I started quitting in early October - so it's about 10 weeks since I was in a constant stupor. I've only done 9 days clean (after my cider relapse) but feeling like being a drunk is a thing of the past.

Man! It's cold in the UK, and the weather is not expected to get any warmer until 2008.

Oh well - chin up!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Hey man, I've been reading your 'journal' - thanks for letting us into what it's like. It's good to know that you got nothing out of drinking the cider - I am only on day 3, and while I don't want to drink at the moment while I'm detoxing, I know it's going to get harder.

I have been doing lots of cleaning, and watching movies and reading books, I have found I need to be doing something now that I'm not wasting half my day drinking. It's kind of nice getting some things done, but I feel kind of crappy, so I know what you mean haha

I'm sorry to read about all the people you know dying from alcoholism. I guess it's a constant incentive, right? I gave up heroin shortly after 3 of my friends died in the space of a month. Actually, I gave it up the first time then, it took me a few goes but I got over it in the end, know what I mean?

Good luck over xmas
Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

hello nodrinkingzone

Day 3 - I've had a few day 3s I know what you mean about time. A single day seems to last for ages when you don't drink, and it's a shock when you realise how empty life was as a drunk.

Anyway, back to me. It's still horrible weather in the UK (subzero) and no prospect of change for weeks. I'm doing final Christmas shopping tomorrow and I'll go after a big meal (less tempted to buy booze after eating).

Not drinking today - day 10 and I'm hitting the bad part where I start believing I'm not an alky, and drinking is fun. It really has to be a one-day-at-time thing, trying to stay sober.

Oh well