Notices

What would you do?

Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What would you do?

Hi my friends,

Yesterday, I was faced with a situation that made me feel uncomfortable and helpless...

I have a friend I met in AA five months ago...She recently (one month ), relapsed with alcohol.

As I was walking towards the door of an AA meeting, I noticed her parked several cars away. I turned around and walked to her...I asked her how she was doing and she slurred her words saying she was doing much better on her new medication. She informed me she is taking Librium...I asked her was the med short term and she said no, that the med is prescibed for anxiety...I told her I wished her well and walked into the meeting...She did not follow and drove away somewhere...

I wanted so much to tell her about the dangers of this medication, mostly this medication has a high rate of addiction...

What would you do?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you wondering if its your business type of thing? If she is a friend I would say something yes but thats my dislike of benzos for you.
Could be they are the right medication for her?

I love your sig Missy, I may steal it.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you reached out, missymae. that was really generous of you. hugs, k
Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About a year after I quit drinking, I was sick everytime I seen people buying beer at the store. I just did not want people to go through what I did.

I had to let go of worrying about other people.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well - I learned something new today - because I didn't know that Librium was a benzo. I was behaving the same way your friend was when I wasn't taking them as prescribed - slurred speech, and 'out of it'. I remember (vaguely) friends asking me if I was alright, and I thought I was. I had no business driving a car, going to work, etc in that condition. This girl could, legally, be impaired by drugs while driving a vehicle. There is no harm in talking to her, Missy, and start out by sharing your own experience with benzos - that should help.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Years ago I was given Librium and Valium at different times. I didn't misuse them but wondered what they would have to do with my depression. I thought they were a tranquilizer and I guess they were.

Doc's are almost too trusting of patients and I know of some doc's that prescribe Benzo's like they were candy. Some people with chronic depression or other mental illnesses have learned how to describe their symptoms so another doc will give them what they want or need.

I remember going to new docs when I moved and would tell them about my history with depression and anxiety and they would take my word for it before my medical records had a chance to get back to them from my previous doc.

Not many docs knew of my alcoholism either. I'm sure some suspected and then when I did sober up it seemed like some of the docs I saw...referred to for my arthritis...actually were afraid of my being so honest with them.

I had one doc...the first one after I asked for help...see me go through detox, get into recovery...go back to college...and get a good job at the County Mental Health Program. He told me he would never forget me as a patient of his. He later moved on to a bigger city to practice.

The next doc took over from there and the strangest thing happened. My records came from the first docs office and did not include my detox and alcoholism records.
I was amazed! My second doc knew all about it though and he also was very supportive and compassionate towards me.

I guess I am some off topic here now. I start typing and thinking and before I know it I am remembering a part of my past.

kelsh
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My friend lives a block and a half away from me...In the past I have visited her...

Let me say that I do not miss alcohol...I DO have days that I miss opiates, and benzos...This is the truth and I believe I will always miss them...

I cannot be around my friend because, may I say temptation?

If I don't say anything I will somehow feel guilty...She was clearly in trouble when I saw her...She didn't look good, slurred speech, and she didn't make much sense...

I plan to call her this evening...

Thanks for your input...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What did your sponsor suggest?

You are wise to avoid temptation
IMO Good for you!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think you are handling this well...
A phone call to her is good. That way you are reaching out to her without putting yourself in a situation of temptation by actually being in the physical setting.
You have such a caring heart.
Proud of you!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
What did your sponsor suggest?

You are wise to avoid temptation
IMO Good for you!
My sponsor said to be careful. My friend is a chronic relapser...She agrees with a phone call...However, visiting her is not a good option...

I tried to call her last night but she didn't answer her phone...

At my home group, I pass out chips...I see some people come to meetings all the time who are struggling... These are the chronic relapsers...Although I am glad they keep coming back, I feel at the same time sad...

Hopefully I will hear from my friend soon...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I think you've gotten good advice here and from your sponsor. I also think reaching out to warn her is something I would do if it was my situation. I wouldn't feel right with myself if I didn't.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

All good advice, throw some prayer in and you should be good to go imho.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missymae737 View Post
Hi my friends,

Yesterday, I was faced with a situation that made me feel uncomfortable and helpless...

I have a friend I met in AA five months ago...She recently (one month ), relapsed with alcohol.

As I was walking towards the door of an AA meeting, I noticed her parked several cars away. I turned around and walked to her...I asked her how she was doing and she slurred her words saying she was doing much better on her new medication. She informed me she is taking Librium...I asked her was the med short term and she said no, that the med is prescibed for anxiety...I told her I wished her well and walked into the meeting...She did not follow and drove away somewhere...

I wanted so much to tell her about the dangers of this medication, mostly this medication has a high rate of addiction...

What would you do?

Thanks
Hi Missy:

What concerns me the most is her getting behind the wheel of a car when she is no shape to drive. You need to talk to her about that, and if she doesn't listen, you need to find a way to stop her from driving.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ccrider,

It also concerns me...Like, what was she doing at the meeting parked, and then didn't stay?

I have been in her situation and I didn't think anything was wrong with me...

Imagine my horror when I called to speak to my ex-husband, (a detective), and it was said to him that I had slurred speech..I also bumped into walls easily...I also drove which is the greatest regret!! Again, I didn't thnk anything was wrong...

So yes, I do plan on telling her about her behavior when I speak to her...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Update...

Hello everyone,

Well I spoke to my friend on the phone last night...I shared my experience with her about my addiction to benzos...

She immediately jumped in and said her problem was alcohol, not medication...

I expressed my concern over her appearance and slurred speech. She said she has been on this medication for ten days. She told me in another week she will be fine as THESE side effects would diminish...

She thanked me for my concern...

I feel she is in major denial...

I did what was best, I let her know I care...

Denial has such an ugly face...
Old 11-17-2007, 05:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I think you did well