Notices

Day 5 - woke up cranky

Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ready for help

Day 5 - woke up cranky

Hi all. It's the beginning of day 5 for me. I feel very irritable today, not really wanting to drink, but worked long hours this weekend. And then looked at the house I am grateful to have, and boy is it a mess. It's my only day off, so at least I have something to keep me busy all day.

We had a lot of death in the ER this weekend, lots of people drunk and then overdosed. I think it actually helps me to see/treat/try to treat these unfortunate people, because I don't want to end up there. The families are devastated, and can't understand why their loved one would do such a thing. But I know it all too well, having overdosed on pills when I drank. Thank God I lived.

I will not drink today. I have lots of "excuses" to drink, but none are good enough. Besides, gotta work the next 2 days, 12 hours. Better get busy on cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.

I will post tonite before bed, after I have NOT had a drink.

Hugs,
Shari :atv
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey shari, one minute hour day at a time.

get some chores done and then do something nice for you - a walk, a bubblebath, some time with a good book, somethin'.

hugs, k
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Working in ER with alcohol/drug related injuries...

Hi Sheri,

I worked many years in hospitals and ER's with the same issues. I saw people die from drug overdose or alcohol abuse. It did not keep me from heading right into that invisible line of alcoholism. The old saying: "That won't happen to me." was my denial.

After I was sober a year, I went back to college to get my BA Degree. I then got a job at the local mental health and now I had to face my illness of alcoholism and depression right in the face. This was in 1988 and I am still sober and taking meds for my depression. Life is so good sober, as I am sure you know by now.

I am retired and so is my husband. A lot of water has gone under the bridge but I work my Program of AA and continue to use the tools that I have gathered over the years from the AA Program and counseling I received for both the alcoholism and depression. :comfort

Continue the good job with your work. It is a good reminder of what can happen to us when we see all the people coming through the hospitals and ERs.