Notices

Recovery Is Boring if you want it to be

Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Is Boring if you want it to be

I want to welcome the lurkers, those of you reading and wondering if recovery is for you. I know you are probably going through some problems right now and it brought you to this forum. Your reading, wondering, should I quit? Your mind races with fears of life without booze or drugs and its bleak and horrific, You begin to think that you don't really want to quit, you just want to get it under control and use succesfully again.

Sound about right?
Addiction is a mind f'. Those voices in your head, the chatter. it’s crazy up there and it's the worst place to be. In your head, thinkin yourself out of the latest mess. See, if your like me, one of the first things you lost was honesty. Even when you had nothing to lie about, lying just became a way of life for some of us. We have learnt, through our amazing skills of manipulation, that the more we believed our lies, the more other people bought them. We became experts at it. The downside is, the lack of honesty has taken it's toll and we barley hear that voice inside us anymore, the one that said, maybe you do have a drinking problem or this crack pipe really isn't the way to live anymore. No matter who you are, someone loves you and your killing them by killing yourself. Your hear, half reading and plotting a way to fix this issue that you made but someone else is to blame for it.
Just stop, for a moment. Is this where you want to be in your life.
How has the trip been so far and do you really think things will get better with using?
It takes one thing to get clean.
One simple little thing.
That is a desire to stop using. That one little spark is all it takes and you can turn your life around for good. You know, the path you have been on has got you this far. Consider this moment a tree branch on a cliff that you grabbed onto on your way down to the rock bottom. Look below, where using is taken you. Right now, this branch is only here for the moment and there may not be another one. Right here, you can say, I want off this cliff...and you can climb back onto stable land.

You may not see what awaits for you on stable land but I can let you know one thing about it. Unlike active addiction, you can make recovery whatever you want.
It can be as rewarding and as exciting as you choose for it to be. The one thing you are given back, that you haven’t had for so long, is a chose.

You don't have to live reacting anymore. You begin responding to life and making changes and choices that shape and change your future and the more you get into you recovery the more you get from it.

If you want it, for this moment, the choice is yours.
One tiny spark of desire to stop using is all it takes.

For me, it was the pain of using was greater then the pain of staying clean, that was my one spark that I held onto for the first year. I held on to how it feels, at the end of the binge and how hopeless I felt, how I wanted to die.
In all my days of staying clean, I have never felt as bad as I did coming down.
For me, it's worth every moment.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

my recovery has not borning....less dramatic maybe , but not boring.

holly schmolly man..first you hit the detox and roller coaster.
that wasn't borning. An old lady had to tell me " HANGON2URASS"lol

I think it's becuase i was on a marry go round for so long...
I actaully got dizzy walking a straight line.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post DH!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

DH... (wink)
Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

good post there, got me thinking about y i have quit. It's still only early days u c, so my heads all over the place- but reading that makes me c that this recovery is vital- and can be good if i want it to be. Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Big Thanks for carrying the message of hope in recovery~~~
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Boring?

Just he opposite...When I started my recovery my senses were awakened...

The simple niceties of life were there for the taking...

It is great to live LIFE again...

Great post...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Letting go of the chaos and learning to love a life filled with peace is not boring to me. It left room for me to find healthy ways of living life to the fullest and finding joy in the smallest observations that I could not see when I was blinded by codependency.

My life has never been less boring. It just took courage and the willingness to find better choices to add excitement and fun to my life.

Hugs
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Recovery to me was not boring but it was in the start kind of a raw feeling. Similiar to what Satit stated about holding on after being on the merry go round for so long- opening up my world to my choices and no one elses, stopping and actually smelling nature (the senses are amazing when we are actually healing)-relaxing and doing things at my pace and not always in a rush to get things done. I feel recovery is an exhilarating part of my being now! I know if I stop taking care of myself I stand the chance of jumping back on the merry go round!

Nope not for me! Recovery is for me!

Great post!! DH!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like boring.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great post !

If by boring, you mean "no drama", then I like boring
Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

My life is boring. But what a nice change.
Boring compared to what I am use to.
But really I am not bored. I stay busy and boy do my little cousins keep me going.
I wouldnt call it boring. Just lack of chaos.
That is just fine with me.
If I get bored I will just go hang with my cousins 4mos..3...4...and 5 years old. HEHE.
I will wish for boring after about an hour with them.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

for some it may be boring, but as my post I made late at night was suppose to get across, your recovery is anything you want to make it and for me it is anything but boring. Little things in life become a great adventure in my recovery.
Becoming responsible productive members of society is...believe it or not..fun.
I went from Robbing People to helping others, from High Speed Chases to high speed Internet. I became a part of the solution, not the problem.
I love my life. From the outsides, it really doesn't look like much in comparison to my neighbours but from where i came, to get this far is a huge success story. I try my best to avoid judging my insides to other peoples outsides and I try to keep people around me who do the same. They live life and care not about appearances and keep in mind, that the most important things in life are not things.

Happy 24

The Dopeless Hope Fiend
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Good for You
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In real early sobriety I went through a stage of thinking "is this all it is"....I was used to high highs and low lows..not much in between. But it passed, now my life is so full..I'm doing things now I'd never dreamed possible. So, recovery, definitely not boring.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

For me going from standing on the edge of a cliff dropping off into the bowels of hell and a slow death to becoming a husband & father again, saving my own life and then taking the hands of others & helping pull them back into the light is anything but boring, rewarding is the best single word I can come up with.

The journey from uselessness to useful has been rewarding.

Great thread and post DH!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I thought I would bump this one for any newcomers.

Peace
The Dopeless Hope Fiend
Old 11-13-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

and there are a few dlh...

service, with a smile!