Notices

What is wrong with me and why

Old 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't judge each other here and that's why it's a safe place for us to come and talk about our issues.

Guilt almost overwhelmed me when I stopped drinking. I couldn't get past it. A beautiful lady from SR suggested that I journal. I had thought about it, but really resisted because I didn't want to see the words written down in black and white. But, I was desparate, so tried it. When I felt bad, I wrote it down and was surprised to see that the feelings lifted. I continued writing and writing and it took most of a year to get it all out. At the end of that time, I burned the journal. Dealing with guilt and shame is not a one time thing, in my opinion. It takes a period of letting go bit by bit, to get through it.

I used to worry all the time what others thought about me. What I found in recovery is this - I started to like myself, just a bit at first, but began to think I was okay. The more I liked myself, the less I cared about what others thought. Now, I don't give a hoot.

Legal lady, I am glad you're here and posting about your feelings.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LegalLady View Post
And, am I the only 0ne alone. No support, no husband, kids, or stuff. seems like everyone has someone out there that gives a crap.
Your not the only one, no. I have no support, no one gives a crap if I drink or not. I am on my own, I do have 3 daughters but they are too young to know much about alcohol or alcoholism. I don't really have any friends and my family are all crap, I hardly ever see any of them.

I wanted to get sober though. Allthough I have no real life support I have this place and I use other tools I have picked up along the way. It took me a long time from first deciding to quit to get to where I am, but today I have been sober for 6 weeks. It is possible, hard but possible and it does get a little easier day by day.

Sax