I need some opinions

Old 11-04-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question I need some opinions

First I hope you are all doing Well!
O.K., here it goes.
I miss my BEER!
I do not! miss being drunk.
I am looking for opinions on NON-Alcoholic BEER. My wife (Whittengirl) had 6 years of sobriety until last spring. She loves her wine. She tried the NON-Alcoholic wine and said it only gave her cravings for the real thing. She told me I may be different, I have been clean from drugs for six years and have no desire to take them again. Not even aspirin. I have five days without Alcohol, and don't miss being drunk. I do miss the taste of BEER, While doing things around the house and after work.
I want to try it. If it doesn't work and I have cravings then I am for enough ahead to know that it won't work and to not do that again.
I have been drinking a lot of water and, though I loved it, have cut sodas almost completely out.
I realize I am dealing with: "You can't drink again ever syndrome".
You all have been so great! Especially my wife "Whittengirl" (She is the greatest and the love of my life)
Any opinions would be appreciated,
Thanks and best wishes to all!
Old 11-04-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just one Budd's opinion but I would stay away from it. I cannot see anything good coming from this. Good luck in your sobrity.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey my Cali brother,
I am four months sober. When I read your post it reminded me of last week when I wanted to smoke a cigarette because I miss smoking pot (I miss it real bad sometime). What I did instead was PM someone and we talked. I also responeded to other post of people who were struggling. (That helped me to get outside of my own struggle).
What I'm trying to say is, I guess cravings are 10% of what we will go through in recovery, I think the other 90% is how we respond to it
They say a smart man learns from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.
It did'nt work for my sister, Whitten girl, I'm gonna assume it wont work for ME.
Whatever you decide please keep posting.

BE BLESSED IN YOUR DAY
dshake
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank it by the keg for the first 3-4 months of my sobriety. Then I just lost interest in the stuff. Turns out that it wasn't what I had in mind and wasn't what I was wanting. I say to drink all you want. Drink it until you get tired of drinking it. If you are true to yourself and have your sobriety as your number one focus the desire will go away.
N/A beer is number one beverage chosen by People on the Fence. Don't ever forget that either.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I was a wine and beer drinker. I stay away from the non alcoholic stuff, I'm afraid that it would trigger a craving and bring me THAT much closer to the real thing. And, honestly, what's the point? I drank the stuff to get drunk.

It's up to you though..

Karen
Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I don't see much point in drinking NA beer - if I did, I know it wouldn't be much longer before I was drinking the regular stuff.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm in a nursing home where, believe it or not, they have O'Doule's "non-alcoholic" beer available during the weekly poker games. BTW...no such thing as "non-alcohoic" beer...it does actually contain an almost minute percentage. But, I thought, "I could have one. Who would know?" ME, that's who. Besides, I never really liked beer, so why bother?

IMO, you would only be playing head games, and possibly setting up the mental obsession aspect of the disease...I doubt the small percentage of alcohol would set up the physical compusion, unless you drank about 100 bottles. YUCK!

A bigger challenge for me would be the monthly bus rides to local restaurants where the "old folks" enjoy fancy cocktails before dinner. Here again, "Who would know?" I actually did have a Virgin Mary, and it tasted darned good, even without the vodka...but, I always liked tomato juice!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I'll just say that personally I DO drink NA beer, typically in situations where I would be drinking a real beer, and typically when others around me actually ARE drinking real beer. Like a day out on a boat on the lake water-skiing.

That being said, I am NOT an alcoholic, though I'm sure I've drank more than my share over the years, my drinking level went WAY down once I discovered pain pills, and I honestly haven't been drunk for over five years, though I've only been clean for five months. I'm not personally worried about that amount of alcohol triggering cravings for me, but then again ... I've never really 'craved' alcohol, except maybe one bloody mary on a morning of being really hung-over, and once I had it, I was done.

So I would say that for anyone who has legitimately craved alcohol on any consistent basis or ever had a pattern of uncontrollable drinking would be really really WISE to stay away from NA beer, because it's not really NA. Frankly, I'd be shocked if someone doesn't come along shortly with a story about how they had a relapse that seemed to have been triggered by consumption of NA beer.

But if you're going to insist on doing it, the only two that I've ever had that are worthy of even being called beer-LIKE are Kaliber and Buckler (made by Guinness and Heineken, respectively). But do be careful if you're going to do it, because for a real alcoholic - I really do think it's playing with fire. Don't underestimate this disease and it's craftiness, my friend. That seemingly innocent craving for the taste of beer (but not the alcohol) can be the disease working in it's cunning, baffling, and powerful magic on your psyche...
Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm curious, since Narcotics Anonymous also advocates "total abstinence" for being clean and sober, what their take on na beer would be. Have to ask my daughter...but, I'll bet I already can guess the answer.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Shoot, Jersey, obviously the stuff is MADE for people in Narcotics Anonymous.

C'mon, allz u gotta do is just look at the NAME of the stuff!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Good one!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bvaljalo View Post
Frankly, I'd be shocked if someone doesn't come along shortly with a story about how they had a relapse that seemed to have been triggered by consumption of NA beer.
One of our members with 20 years under his belt tried N/A beer and liked it. He decided since he could handle that with no problems, he could handle 3.2 Beer just as well. Within the course of 6 months, it was like he never quit at all.
Good news is that he was able to quit again, start hitting meetings and get his life back on track before it was too late.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been thinking about the NA beer thing too, because I am certain there will be situations where people will look at me funny in situations because everyone else wil be drinking. (Tailgates, parties, BBQs).

As I thought about this, I also told myself "But I really like beer." But I am about 90% at the point where I realize I only liked beer because it was a slow, controllable way to get wasted without anyone suspecting.

Obviously, I am much earlier in the recovery process than you (and you have been very encouraging to me). To me, that would be like a former race car driver that has been told to stop due to a neck injury. After a few months, he says he just misses the driving, not the competition, then takes a Ford Taurus out alone on the race track. He is going to feel a little better that he is simulating what he enjoys, but it is going to pale in comparison to the real thing, and only make him jones for the real thing.

I decided that I am going to drink water and maybe a coke at BBQs and tailgates. Maybe, I will rememer the second half of the football game next time.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good decision. What Others think of you not drinking should be the least of your concerns.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I tried NA beer once when i was supposed to work one night so i thought i'd have a few in the afternoon before getting some sleep.Had a couple,thought stuff this and then turned to the real stuff-and didn't go in to work.I wouldn't recommend bothering with it.