Notices

CBT?? Anyone tried it?

Old 11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

CBT?? Anyone tried it?

I am 12 days sober. I saw my new psychiatrist this week. I told her I cant sleep much and have been on Ambein, but was abusing it. She asked me what I got out of abusing Ambein. I told it that it did for me exactly what booze does for me. Calms me, numbs me, takes away the racing thoughts etc.

Well, I didn't realize how out of control my anxiety really was. I have precipitory anxiety, social anxiety and general anxiety, plus depression. So she told me about a good Dr who Does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I never heard of it before. I started reading online about it and it sounds like it could really help me.

I want to work on my fear of authority figures, my anxiety about sex (after 21 years of marriage), and my social and precipitory anxiety. THESE are the major reasons I was drinking for years!! And I had been having mini panic attacks during the night when I was about 9 to 12 years old!! We always thought they were asthma attacks..but when I was in detox 3 years ago...I had several panic attacks and then realized that all those episodes when I was young were actually panic attacks and not asthma attacks.

I was wondering...has anyone else out there tried this kind of therapy and how did it work out?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've never tried it, but I know some folks who it worked well for. Like so many other things, it works well for some, and not so well for some others. Give it a try, it'll either help you, or leave you as you are. It won't make anything worse.

And congrat's on the 12 days!
Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your sober time!

No...I have not nor do I have your history.
However...
I certainly would give every option a chance.

Google for SMART recovery and see their approach.

Have you heard of PAWS?
Here is a link for you to check out

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Please do keep us up to date...
Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Iv'e heard it works really well for some people.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by discoveringme View Post
I am 12 days sober. I saw my new psychiatrist this week. I told her I cant sleep much and have been on Ambein, but was abusing it. She asked me what I got out of abusing Ambein. I told it that it did for me exactly what booze does for me. Calms me, numbs me, takes away the racing thoughts etc.

Well, I didn't realize how out of control my anxiety really was. I have precipitory anxiety, social anxiety and general anxiety, plus depression. So she told me about a good Dr who Does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I never heard of it before. I started reading online about it and it sounds like it could really help me.

I want to work on my fear of authority figures, my anxiety about sex (after 21 years of marriage), and my social and precipitory anxiety. THESE are the major reasons I was drinking for years!! And I had been having mini panic attacks during the night when I was about 9 to 12 years old!! We always thought they were asthma attacks..but when I was in detox 3 years ago...I had several panic attacks and then realized that all those episodes when I was young were actually panic attacks and not asthma attacks.

I was wondering...has anyone else out there tried this kind of therapy and how did it work out?
I really like it! It is hard but for people like me, it was key, it was exactly what I needed. It is something that I needed to be in for awhile for to get the benefits out of, and if I could go back I would.

:ghug