Notices

After Losing 1, I quit

Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After Losing 1, I quit

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading for a while but have decided to join and share my story. I used to be in a big party circle. People were doing everything under the sun. It all seemed so good at the time. My poisons were coke and alcohol. 1 day a week went to 2 to 3 and so on. I would look at around as we were so messed up and it really didn't matter. Sometimes we thought it was funny. Then things changed.

A close friend was addicted to pain meds. He would also do coke, E, alcohol etc. He was the life of the party. He overdosed. I woke up. It was unfortunate that this had toi happen. I left the party 6 months ago and I have not looked back. Some friends decided to keep up that lifestyle. I realized we were only friends becuase we were using together. I have a new life. A new job. I feel better. I don't feel sick every morning. I wish that I had stopped and not lost my friend.

I think it is great that there is so much info on the web regarding addiction. I feel that there are so many sites where people are getting more and more educated on this disease. We are not looked upon like we are the scum of the earth. That we should just stop. That we should have never used. I want to keep hearing stories. Meeting people and educating myself.

I will keep sharing. Have a wonderful weekend.

Take care.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that touching story and congrats on staying off the stuff for so long. I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your friend and I know it's a learning experience for others who may decide to quit as well.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great share.

Sorry about your friend.

Glad that you are here. I am looking forward to more posts from you.

Stick around and congrats on your clean time.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thelagio,

Welcome!

It's hard to not have regrets about things we did or didn't do because of our addiction. It's good to remember those things, but to keep them perspective and to move forward. I'm glad you are doing well.

And, I do think people are slowly becoming more educated about addiction and that it's a disease, but there is still a long way to go.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear you want a sober life. I love my life today, and wish I did not waste so much of my life. My first husband died under a bridge drunk in the winter and froze. His death was not in vain because the homeless shelter would let people in after drinking. :sorry
Old 11-03-2007, 12:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
simplysober

sorry about your friend
congrats on seeing everything in a new light! i was watching a movie tonight, and all the people were smoking pot and drinking- and for the first time i was grossed out by it- made NO sense to me to be that way- i guess we are seeing it all clear now!

hugs
maria
Old 11-03-2007, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

:ghug2

Welcome to SR..

Keep posting, so glad you found us...
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the messages. Looking forward to contributing