SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The last day out there (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/136009-last-day-out-there.html)

chicago 11-02-2007 07:48 PM

The last day out there

Since I'm not having a particularly good day, I figured I would post a thread about the last day out there. It's been 21+ months since I drank or drugged and sobriety has been one long strange trip. I thought I'd put my day in perspective by thinking of my last day out there. On Jan 28th, 2006 (my last day out there) I was a degenerate. I stole powerbars from walgreens to survive. I had no money, no ID's, and no insurance. Hadn't had a job in many months. Was using heroin. Every night when I went to bed I prayed for death. My very first thought every morning was suicide. All day I wondered around the city bumming cigarettes and conning/manipulating people.

Today I have a wonderful, full life. Thank God for keeping me sober today. Thanks.

discoveringme 11-02-2007 07:54 PM

WOW Chicago...what a story! It is so awesome that you have over a year sober time. I am so glad your life has changed and you seem to feel very good and blessed about things now. That is terrific! Keep up the good work!

simplysober 11-03-2007 12:27 AM

wow its been a long time for you on this sober bus! congrats on how far you have come- to look back at once was, and see how much better life is now for you must be totally cool

you rock!
hugs
maria

mimi54321 11-03-2007 01:24 AM

An inspiration. Thank you.
M x

Budd 11-03-2007 02:51 AM

Your story is amazing. Congratulations on your new life.

dave47 11-03-2007 04:08 AM

Well done on your clean time and for changing your life Chicago,and thanks for your inspirational story.

indigo 11-03-2007 04:17 AM

How inspiring thank you for your story, what a wonderful turn about you have made in your life. I applaud you.

indie

Missymae737 11-03-2007 06:02 AM

Great job on your sober time...

My last day out there felt utterly hopeless...

After my first DUI, I went on a two month bender that included Detox, mental institutions, and disappearing in harms way...For two months my family didn't know where I was. They called the police and filed a missing persons report...When I did return home I was an empty shell, with empty feelings...I drank to pass out and stayed isolated in my bedroom...:abcd:

I thought, surely death is better than this...

Then AA happened and slowly life was returning to the light...Almost four months later my life my life was changed.. I no longer have to dwell in that darkness of addiction.:ham4

Thanks for sharing your story and this is a great topic...

Anna 11-03-2007 11:46 AM

That's a great turnaround Chicago!

It reminds us that there is always hope.