Notices

Struggling.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Struggling.

Hi again folks.
Hope you are all ok. Unfortunately i am not at the minute. I've done my step one, and doing my step two tommorow, got a lovely sponsor and a good support from family- however i still crave booze. On and off. I've ben sober 7 weeks on monday, so still early days i know, however i am feeling v rocky at the minute- the desire to go out and drink has been frequent these past few days. Also im really worried about being down in my home twn for crimbo with all my old pals. Im scared ill drink. Im also scared about how left out im going to feel. When i speak to them on the phone (esp) at weekends i find it makes me wanna drink even more- cos it reminds me of my drinking days and also i feel left out too. I do have faith this will pass- but when!!!!!!! I want the obsession to go....now!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi,

I know how hard it is when we are craving a drink. You're coming up on 7 weeks which is fantastic! How often are you talking to your sponsor? Does she know about your cravings? Please talk to her and share how you are feeling.
Is it necessary for you to spend time with your old pals? It sounds like you need to keep yourself safe at all costs, and spending time with drinking pals is not safe!
If you can, ask your HP to remove the obsession to drink from you - keep praying, keep asking for guidance, and trust that you can get through this. I've been there and I DO remember how difficult it was, but if I could do it, you can do it.
Keep posting and let us know how you are doing - talking it out helps.

Row
Old 11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found the first 3 months of sobriety to be hell. I finally yelled at the addiction and told it to leave me in the name of the Lord Jesus! When ever those little thoughts of drinking would jump into my head, I would literally shake it off and say NO! and then make a point of thinking about something else (even singing a song if need be). You have come so far! Congratulations. Stick to your guns and remember one day at a time. I make a point of thinking about all the good things in sobriety. Waking up with peace (no hang over and a bad foul mood), having more energy to get things done, looking better, having more money etc.

Im at step 12 and I have found that every now and then I work back through the steps to keep my sobriety in check. I have pretty much isolated myself from all my past friends and the familiar places. yes it gets a bit lonely, but I have to protect my sobriety first and foremost.

Crimbo??? not too sure what that is, but if your already getting the temptations in your head and you KNOW that it will be hard, do you think you should risk it? Im over 6 months sober now and I have not put myself in any positions where the temptation will arise. I even left a house when they pulled out the beers.

I hope your friends are supportive of your sobriety. If any of them tell you that one drink is fine, you have to really put them straight. A good friend will support you.

best of luck
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congrats on your 7 weeks. Try not to think to much about it..
it's all in your head..it's the mental obsession thing.
so just don't pick up no matter what. (react)

well..that's how I came to belive...lol
I got sick and tire of the mental cravings. The fears and worries
pretty much gave insomity. I ask a loving HP to remove the
complusion and obsession from me. No one was going to work
the steps for me and it seem no human can releive me that obessions.

It seem corny at first, But yaa know, I know i couldn't drinking anymore
or didn't want to drink anymore becuase it was going to be the death
of me and alot of wreackage and suffering before i get to death.

F-it...(short form serenity prayer)...I took a leap faith.
beat's the hell out of me if there's a god...one way to
find out and lets put this 12steps theary to the test.
I work it, and it works. I still don't understand god, so
I wouldn't expect you to undertand my understanding of
what I don't understand.lol
I do grasp the conception of a HP. Anywho..I ask and I recieved.
5 minutes at a time, or when ever the insanity hits me.
I ask a loving HP to remove the cravings from me.

it' more than just the craving from the alcohol..for me.
I had those wierd feelings of wanting to go out and F-up
my life or self-sabatage for some stupid reasons.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mandi,

You're doing great!

What worked for me, was changing daily patterns and routines. It really helped the mental obsession to drink. I know it's hard, but if you find that talking to your friends on the weekends really makes you want to drink, don't talk to them at that time. Plan to do something else. Go shopping or to a movie or go for a walk. Just do something different to change your routine.

You can get through this!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it'll be hard for your old friends to understand your new way of thinking. can you screen their calls for awhile and phone folks on your aa phone list instead?

hang in there, mandi. and keep posting! hugs, k
Old 11-09-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mandi

you're doing good - and as I keep telling my kiddies -

XMAS IS A LONG TIME AWAY YET!

So we'll just keep doing the next right thing!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi MissLisa,

Welcome to Sober Recovery. This is where you can find experience, strength, and hope from all of the members. Seven weeks is so wonderful...one more week will be two months.

I sobered up with the AA Program and didn't know about these Forums then. I needed AA every day for a year...then was able to continue on with my sobriety with fewer or more meetings depending on what was going on in my life.

I will look for more posts from you. I know I had to change routines like Anna did and also friends. I had a very dear lady friend that I drank with. I couldn't go see her anymore when I first sobered up. Then to my surprise she sobered up a year after I did so we were visiting each other again. :comfort

Hang in there. I was one of the lucky ones...I didn't crave the alcohol when I quit drinking and I most always drank at home so wasn't tempted to go out to the clubs.

kelsh
Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Keep moving forwrd...
the best is yet to come..
Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Keep on keepin' on! Sounds like you are doing better than what you realize. After all, you are working with your sponsor & are talking to us here at SR (instead of picking up "that first drink.") Keep moving in the right direction!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found a lot of my obsession left when I did steps 4 and 5. Maybe you could ask your sponsor if you could move right along with doing those steps??
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Mandi and congratulations on your 7 weeks! My first couple of months were pretty bad for me and I can't remember having too many cravings, but as my sobriety progressed they started to get stronger and stronger. I believe is part of the effort this desease dose to lure you back! I remember I took up exercise and It really helped me! I did make a conciouse effort to stay away from freinds and places that reminded me of my drinking. It was pretty hard because drinking pretty much dominated my social life the last couple of years before quiting. Slowly, I started to return to my social circles without the alcohol. It was strange at times because it felt weird to be in social settings without a drink in my hand or to deal with certain situations that in the past would immediately lead me to drink.

I don't have much sober (7 months) and I still stay away from certain enviroments that jeopardize my sobriety, however, I've notice that slowly I'm able to handle things better. I still get cravings and I'm by no means immune to the possiblity of drinking but I'm slowly adjusting to this better sober lifestyle.

Good luck and keep it up!!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink

Hello Mandi,

Great job on your sobriety...The one thing I found in sobriety is with each passing craving, they become less in numbers and build strength for the next craving...

You can do this...:morning