SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Another New Newbie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/135961-another-new-newbie.html)

Shiloh07 11-02-2007 06:25 AM

Another New Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for awhile now and feel the need to share my story and be a part of this group.

I am 51 yrs old and have spent and starting drinking at the age of 15. Alcohol made me feel like it gave me the confidence to feel like I fit in and I have hidden behind it all these years. I am also a co-dependent, as in always getting the fixer uppers and every relationship I ever had has ended. It is a vicious pattern and it is almost like I am addicted to the pain of it all.

I am currently divorced for the 2nd time and ended a live in relationship last august of 2006. He was an alcoholic and and lived with me. I have read very similar stories on the message board and really wonder how we get to this point. I allowed my self to be used always thinking he would see the light. (codie) But he didn't and I did see him again for awhile this summer, but he was also seeing someone else and moved in with her 2 weeks after he told me he didn't want to see me anymore.

I had stopped drinking in September of 2005 and starting drinking in March of 2006 when I starting seeing exabf, to fit in again. Jeez!! Anyhow, after we split in Aug 2006, I quit drinking and got back into counseling and on anti-depressants. Was doing fairly well, but just couldn't accept the fact that he could move on so easily.

I starting drinking with him again this summer and after the split in August quit again and I hope for good. I am currently goint to AA Meetings, back in couseling and still on the Anti-depressants. It didn't seem and traumatic this time around, because deep down I know I so much better off on my own. I have been fortunate to hold a good job, 25 years this past August and can support my self financially.

I know alcohol covered up my low self worth and does not help a thing, but make things worse. I am hoping this 3rd go around on keeping sober and finally get on the right path to a good life is it. I think this Co-dependent behaviour is really the root of my problems and I am working on changing my patterns. It has taken sometime to set boundries again and finding myself. I am fortunate to have a great support systems withing my family and friends, but I just am having a really hard time totally letting go of exabf. People have told me to just quit thinking and worrying about what he is doing. It's not that easy. Sometimes I think I am just a total nut case.

Anyway, sorry I have rambled on here, but thanks for listening.

Shiloh

parentrecovers 11-02-2007 06:49 AM

it's nice to meet you, shiloh. it sounds like you have made a lot of positive changes! keep posting and sharing, please. blessings, k

Rowan 11-02-2007 07:12 AM

It's a pleasure to welcome a new member - keep reading and posting - there is a lot of support and wisdom to be found here. Good to meet you, Shiloh.

dave47 11-02-2007 07:47 AM

Welcome Shiloh and congrats on tackling your problems

Captain Kirk 11-02-2007 07:49 AM

Hi Shiloh!
Welcome aboard! The people on here are really great and they often have allot of good advice to share too.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck.

Anna 11-02-2007 08:47 AM

Hi Shiloh,

It sounds like you've learned a lot and are ready to move on.

I hope you keep posting.

whittenboy 11-02-2007 09:32 AM

Hello Shiloh
Realizing our destructive patterns is a major step. Then we have the ability to correct or avoid them all together.
Keep up the good work.

Rella927 11-02-2007 09:34 AM

Welcome to SR Shiloh! Glad that you found us! :hug:

It sounds that you are ready to take that step towards a better life...keep up that positive attitude! It works!

Impurrfect 11-02-2007 10:39 AM

Welcome to SR Shiloh!!

I totally understand about the codie thing - I finally realized that I had my relapse 8 months ago because I was stressed out about a situation I had no control over and I forgot to keep my recovery as my priority.

This forum is GREAT, but you may want to check out the Friends and Families forums too (if you haven't already) - I mainly go on the one for substance abuse, but you may want to check out the one for alcoholics. Not only is it helping me learn how NOT to be a codie, my insight (as an addict) helps those who are struggling with why an addict does what we do.

It's just a thought - no matter what forum you post on at SR, you will find tons of support:)

Hugs and prayers!

Amy

Hevyn 11-02-2007 01:09 PM

Hi Shiloh - I love your name! It sounds like you finally are on your way. Being older, I don't feel I have that many more chances to fix myself! Our bodies can't keep coming back time & time again from the abuse. That's really what brought me to the decision to give it up once and for all, no more playing at it. I know I may have already shortened my life by abusing myself, but at least it can stop here....Love, Joanie

CarolD 11-02-2007 02:07 PM

I'm so pleased you decided to " "de lurk" and post!
:)
I did ditch a still drinking lover when I was 55
to maintain my sobriety ...:eek:
He survived....I thrived!

Have you started doing AA Step work?
That is when the recovery joy kicked in for me.

Blessings

Budd 11-02-2007 02:17 PM

Hi Shiloh
Welcome and good luck in your sobriety. You will surely find support and friendship on this forum.

Shiloh07 11-02-2007 04:32 PM

I just want to thank all of you for your kind support. I have been reading the posts on Families and Friends of Alcoholics and it is nice to have a place to go where people really do understand the inner struggles we live with.

I have attended 3 AA meetings so far and intend to keep going. It is an all woman's meeting and I am very comfortable with it. I have been going with my friend, she has been sober for 5 years and I can't wait until I can say 5 years sober myself. It will be 1 month on Nov. 8th and I am proud now.

I seem like I am busier now doing productive things, then I have ever been in my life and it is a good thing. It is nice to be able to hold my head up and feel a little pep in my step.

Thank you all once again!

Anita

CarolD 11-02-2007 04:41 PM

:) Have you gotten a new look for the new you?

I treated myself to a spa day + hair cut
stopped wearing black and felt
snazzy and confident.

:laughing:
Ok Ok I am shallow but those actions worked
great when I started recovery!
I still wear bright colors and do the cut each month.

Good to see you have a friend to share AA wth.
:hug:

Shiloh07 11-02-2007 04:49 PM

Hey Carol,

I did the new me thing last winter but I have gained some of the weight I had lost this summer. I have all these new "smaller" clothes I had bought and now they are way to snug. I need to get back on track, but I haven't fully committed to the healthy diet just yet. Been having fun just doing things I enjoy. I have a couple of horses and have been spending a lot time riding when I can. This fall weather has been just perfect. My sister and I rode after work today and I just got on the puter awhile ago.

I am about due for a manicure and pedicure though now that you mentioned it. It is nice to pamper yourself once in awhile.

Take Care,

Anita

Missymae737 11-03-2007 06:10 AM

Hi Anita,

Welcome to SR..

Keep posting, we are glad you found us...:c043: