Notices

Lost

Old 10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Reading the top of this thread, I have a question for you veterans. The unanimous advice was to not cut back, but stop entirely. But "detoxing is dangerous" also seems to be a mantra around here. So my question is... wouldn't quitting gradually be safer? Is there something I'm not understanding?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't think that you're getting conflicting advice, just concern because we all care. Having a frank talk with your doctor will maybe help he/she will be able to give you advice on safe stopping. Keep posting we know where you're coming from, we've been there ourslves and some of us still are. We are not here to judge only to support and give you honest answers to your questions.
I wish you well on whatever path you take that suits your requirements.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I haven't hit bottom YET but that's the thing, that one word "YET"....I don't plan on hitting bottom, because I'm done drinking.
Everyone's "bottom" is different, CW...and, it doesn't have to be any dramatic, earthshaking, epiphany, but wherever you, yourself decide to get off the merry-go-round and out of the rat race. It's as simple as embracing the first step of AA, "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable." You seem to have already done that, whether you realize it or not.

I drank for 32 years and tried to quit several times. I knew how to stop, but it never lasted more than a week or two. It wasn't until I went to a medical detox (they're usually five days) that I found the help I needed...and, then AA taught me how to stay stopped. That was almost 28 years ago, and a course of action I would highly recommend.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Just an afterthought with regard to "tapering off". As long as you keep ingesting the alcohol, you continue feeding the physical compulsion. The only way to quit is to quit, preferrably with some medical help.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Mike!
Welcome aboard!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

An update for you all...

I'm not far enough along to count in days so I'll go with hours

It's been 42 hours now since I had my last drink. Yesterday wasn't that fun at all, I had minor tremors, felt nauseous and had dry heaves (I did feel better after them though hah!) and anxiety attacks off and on. Slept alright, not perfect but I wasn't just "passed out" as usual. Woke up this morning around 7, still felt tired so I popped in a movie and went back to sleep. Had a VERY intense crazy dream. I woke up for good around 11, felt a bit sick to my stomach so I baked some pretty plain chicken and drank some gatorade with a Super B mixed vitamin. I feel actually better than I have in a LONG time...no need for a Valium or anything today yet and still no want or need for a drink!

I'll keep you all posted, and good luck to everyone else.......

Oh and as a reminder I taped my medical bracelet from the hospital visit for withdrawals, to my monitor as a reminder that I'm NOT going to put myself through any BS anymore!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update Mike!

It sounds like you're doing well. I'm glad that you're feeling better.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update.

I finished my book on alcoholism, and it sounds like you are going through the pretty typical withdrawal symptoms.

The thing my book stressed is the importance of your diet. In order to heal your body cells, you need to be on a high protein, low carb diet, along with nutritional supplements. No coffee, pastries, desserts, or candies. These will make your make your blood sugar level dangerously erratic.

Make sure that a friend or family member checks on you regularly.

I am headed to the doctor tomorrow to get started with your process. good luck to you, and good luck to me. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
Reading the top of this thread, I have a question for you veterans. The unanimous advice was to not cut back, but stop entirely. But "detoxing is dangerous" also seems to be a mantra around here. So my question is... wouldn't quitting gradually be safer? Is there something I'm not understanding?
This is not because cutting back is in THEORY a bad idea. Far from it, in fact. Cutting back and then quitting is without DOUBT better in most every single way than just quitting cold turkey. The sole exception I can think of is that sometimes making the quitting rough on oneself can be better at teaching just sort of 'lesson' that many people need in order to stay strong through the inevitable temptations that are to come. But that's really just some people that it helps in that way, not really worth the risk IMHO unless one really KNOWS that they need to get their ass kicked as thoroughly as possible in order to succeed. I wouldn't recommend it for one's first ever serious attempt at sobriety, put it that way.

No, the problem isn't so much the THEORY as it is the EXECUTION thereof. The vast majority of people can't do it successfully, and sometimes those who ARE successful convince themselves that it actually MEANS something that they were able to temper their drinking for awhile, which usually (meaning: always) leads eventually right back to where the person was before they began their weaning process.

So there is your 'disconnect', if you will ...

Myself, I quit prescription narcotics by weaning down, but first I put myself physically far away from my sources of dope, and then gave my stuff to a relative who I could rely on to divvy my stash out according to a weaning schedule. Without those precautions ... lets just say it would NOT have happened according to schedule. IF one could take those same kinda steps with their booze (much more difficult due to it's ubiquitous availability), I would certainly recommend the approach...

Best of luck to all who are beginning their sobriety at this time on this thread. Trust me when I say, if I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!! Keep posting, let us all know how your feeling whenever the urge strikes. Trust me, we've felt exactly what you're going to be feeling, so don't be afraid to share.

And don't be afraid of AA/NA, either.

That is all for now
Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Another update, nothing since Sunday night and nothing bad going on.....feel normal and more energy than I've had in a while *shrug*. Still no need/urge/drive to drink. I'll probably be quiet for a while unless something comes up...I'm a pretty boring story....thankfully!