Notices

I need to know...............

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to know...............

That I am not alone. I want to stop drinking so bad.But it is so hard. As I type this I have a 12 pack in me.. I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror.I saw my dad looking back at me. I do not want to be that person I grew up watching.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi spidey -

you're not alone. we're here. I work night shift, too. I'm usually here except for Sunday, Monday, Tues. it kinda rotates - but ... that's the safest bet.

I sent you a mail on the accout with my email addy. I mean mmy OTHER addy.

welcome! congratulations on your decision to become sober! others will be along shortly to welcome you.

hang in - we're here!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Spidey,

There will be lots of people here on the weekend, me included, to offer you support and help you get through it.

I removed the email address you posted because it is dangerous to do that.

When you reach 5 posts, you will be able to send and receive PMs from other members. That's the best way to share your email address.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

no spidey, your not alone, there is a world of people that are, and have, felt just like you!

welcome to the recovery board...

all good wishes spidey

xxoo, rz
Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR, glad you're looking for help you will find it here, along with love and support.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Spidey,

You are not alone...

Keep posting, so glad you found us...:ghug2
Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spidey2 View Post
That I am not alone. I want to stop drinking so bad.But it is so hard. As I type this I have a 12 pack in me.. I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror.I saw my dad looking back at me. I do not want to be that person I grew up watching.
You're not alone...

I'm only one week sober today, had my last drink last Thursday and it was tough to stop I needed to get pills...

I know what you are going through, we are here if you need to talk and get encouragement - it's one brave step you're taking, but that what heroes do...

Keep posting spidey, you have allies on this forum...
Old 10-26-2007, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Spidey,

You are not alone...

Please keep reaching out...

Many of us know the utter despair you are struggling with right now.

The good news is there is hope...Sobriety can be a part of your life just be reaching out for help...

Keep posting...Thinking of you...:ghug i
Old 10-26-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you have a plan?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I sent this email to you:
Hi Spidey, my name is Martin and I am an alcoholic.

I will gladly share my condensed story with you to where you can relate to me.

I drank for 40 years, in the beginning it was mainly binge drinking on weekends, not every weekend, but whenever an opportunity arose. As time went by and I got a bit older I progressed to what some call a maintenance drinker, the longer I drank the more it took for me to get a buzz on and even more to get drunk.

After about 30 years alcohol was no longer my friend, I would try and quit, sometimes I would not drink for a couple of weeks, all I would do then is think about drinking, when I was not drinking I was miserable and every one around me was too!!! Well I would decide I deserved a 6 pack, which of course I drank and really got nothing from it except it took the edge off, that 6 pack led to more the next day I would buy a 12 pack, then the next day I would be right back drinking as much if not more then I was drinking before.

I repeated the above quit & try to stop pattern for about 5 years, then I had crossed the invisible line in alcoholism, I could no longer stop, I had to drink EVERY DAY just to feel normal!

The last year or two I drank things started to really get crazy, one day I would drink 6-8 and start slurring my speech and stumbling around and then the very next day I could drink one right after another all day long and never even feel it!!!!

I did not know it at the time, but I had entered the early final stage of alcoholism where my tolerance went hay wire, my body could no longer handle the abuse I had heaped on it all those years.

Long story short, I had a moment of clarity where I was able to see my future if I kept drinking, my future was I would lose everything I owned and would no longer have my family, all that would be left would be the booze and a long slow painful death from alcoholism.

Well being a chicken crap I did not want to die a long slow painful lonely death, but I had no idea what to do, so I went to a doctor who specialized in alcoholism and drug addiction and told him the total truth about how much I drank, how long I had drank, and how it was affecting me. I thought I was smart because I had a list of medicines that helped with cravings. The doctor told me he would prescribe me what ever I wished, but he told me flat out that it would be wasting my time and his, he told me I needed to go through medical detox because if I tried to detox myself it could kill me.

In a nutshell:

Saw doctor who told me detox

Detox told me if I wanted a chance at staying sober to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

I went to over 90 AA meetings in 90 days and got a sponsor.

In AA they told me if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to work the steps with my sponsor.

I worked the steps with my sponsor and he told me if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to live the steps the best I could and work at helping other alcoholics get and stay sober.

Spidey I know that sounds like a lot of stuff, but if you are an alcoholic of our variety you have to be willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober. In reality doing all of the above did not take as much time as it sounds, but the freedom and happiness I have gained have made the effort more then worth it.

I pray that if you are an alcoholic that you have not progressed in oyur disease as far as I did, the sooner one decides to quit the easier it is, but trust me when I say it is possible, there are folks who were far worse then me that have recovered from their alcoholism.

There is a solution I found for my alcoholism, millions of others have found the same solution I did in AA.

Keep in mind always that you are not alone, one crucial thing in recovering from alcoholism is to end the isolationism and to keep on trying, there are millions of people throughout the world in AA that would be more then happy to help you.

Remember that AA is not the only solution for alcoholism, there are other recovery programs out there, the secret is to keep trying them until you find one that works for you. Just keep in mind that none of them will work if you do not work them.

Thanks,

Martin
Old 10-26-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep reaching out, spidey. recovery is possible. blessings, k
Old 10-26-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Getting ready to leave for work but I just had to take a moment to thank everyone for the support. It's really crazy I work the next 3 days and I will not think about drinking at all. My wife and I took a 2 week vacation to Hawaii in Sept and I did not drink at all. I did not even think about it. Soon as I get a day off from work I stop and get beer on the way home. To those who shared thier stories with me I do appreciate it. I am glad I found this forum.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Spidey, welcome to SR! Many of us have been there and done that, you're definitely not alone. Glad you're here and I hope you keep posting.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hey spidey - welcome! you are most certainly not alone. this place has helped me a great deal...especially on weekends. keep us posted
Old 10-26-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Not alone.....
Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

if you desire to quit drinking....
Next time on your way home from work
stop in at an AA meeting

You will find a room full of people
with the same desire....and never again
will you have to feel alone.

Welcome!
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spidey2 View Post
Spidey,....You are not alone. I remember sitting in my apartment shaking to pieces because I had no money and needed alcohol or I was going into DT's and seizures. I remember the feeling of overwelming, absolute hopelessness. I knew I HAD to quit but couldnt picture a life without drinking. You are the only one who can end this. Take my advice. Do not try and quit on your own. Get help. AA or rehab. Dont sit with this problem kept all to yourself. TELL SOMEONE. Telling someone close to you about your alcoholism is the first step into commitment. Its out there then. Knowing that someone knows gives you all the more reason to succeed in sobriety. It makes you accountable.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Spidey
As stated several times already YOU are not alone on this forum. The people here have helped me a lot with support and advice. If you continue to post I am sure you will get the same help and support.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hey spidey -

you can do this!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Spidey, I'm going through something similar right now. I've tried for three years to get help, and within three days of joining this community I'm going to attend my first AA meeting. I think the first step is just talking to people who know your situation--which you've just done. So bravo for that.

Good luck. I believe in you. If you ever want to talk with someone in the same stage of recovery, my AIM sn is endlessdelirivm.