Notices

Depression and alcohol

Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and alcohol

Hi new I'm new seeing a counselor. Having a hard time quitting. Just a drunk lady who sits on the couch and drinks and thinks. no exciting story here just feeling of despair. And might I say depression and alcohol S#ck together. what a spiral.
Thanks for listening.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi again,

I'm glad you came over to Newcomers. Others will be along to welcome you shortly.
And yes - alcohol and depression do NOT go well together. Taken in small amounts alcohol acts as a stimulant, but in larger doses, as a depressant. Makes sense.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

I am praying you find the strength to come out of the darkness of depression and alcohol.

You are not alone...

Keep posting...:ghug2
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, they sure do.

You might find that your depression will lift after you stop drinking for awhile. Or, if your depression came first and alcohol is to self-medicate, you might want to talk to your dr about antidepressants.

Either way, there are lots of people here who understand what you are going through.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the depression came first and I am on antidepressants but I don't think they are good to mix.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're right - not good to mix them.
I quit taking my anti d's in sobriety, but found that the depression was there, just as ugly as before. Back on my meds, sober, I feel way better.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did any of you ever go through the why me syndrome. I come from a pretty big family some drink some don't. Did you ever go through the why was I one of the chosen with this crap.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not really. I think we all have to go through certain things in our lives. There are difficulties in everybody's life and I think we are here on earth, at this moment, in order to learn something specific. For me, this is it - recovery. It has been an amazingly wonderful experience.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LegalLady View Post
Did any of you ever go through the why me syndrome. I come from a pretty big family some drink some don't. Did you ever go through the why was I one of the chosen with this crap.
Yes, that was me but mostly I felt angry...

Maybe we were chosen to struggle with addiction and finally come to a place of serenity...:
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Early on in sobriety, I felt sorry for myself and asked 'why me', yes. But today I feel gratitude for being given this gift. I know that sounds insane, but it really does get better.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was the same way. Even contemplated suicide a few times (married w/4 teenagers--that would have been really stupid). Finally, was so disgusted with myself, I told my husband (he was clueless) and I began the journey of recovery.

I never want to return to those dark, dark days.

Make an appointment w/your doctor (don't give a crap about what other people think) and take your life back. (I ended up on Lexapro, an antidepressant--should have been on it years ago.)

Take your life back. You only go around once.

Good luck!

jane
Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think those of us that have known the depths of hell will know joy more than others do.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi LegalLady, Welcome to SR. You sound just like me when i joined this forum last year. That's all i did too was just sit on the couch and drink. I called it my own personal prison. For the longest time i just drank and read the posts on here, and sometimes i would talk. One day, the miracle happened. I wanted to be sober like these people so bad because i seen how happy they were. I am now 33 days sober. I haven't been sober this long in years.

Keep reading and posting. I hope the miracle happens for you too.

Barb