Notices

my Day 1

Old 10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my Day 1

Hello I plan to log my daily struggles on this terrible darkness with alcohol.

I am an alcoholic and have been for many years. My drinking is out of hand and my young family are noticing it. The worst part is the late evening when the kids goto bed, thats when the rum comes out, and usually not until the bottle is done then I goto sleep.

I have struggled with this for years and have stopped from time to time, but it never works.

Somewhere on this forum I read, you need to realize that you are powerless to alcohol, well that is my situation and I do realize it.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Grotto,

Welcome and it's great you've made this decision for yourself and your family. I'm glad you decided to keep a log here and let us know how things are going each day. Many of us check in frequently and we'll be interested in the updates.

One thing that worked for me in early recovery was to change my routines and daily patterns. Can you find a different way to plan your evenings so that the rum doesn't have to come out?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes I will try and read and avoid the routine at all costs.

I also quit smoking today as well, ironically that is easier as I have quit a few times, last time I quit for 5 months.

The patch really does help.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i just bought the patch as well....hope it works!!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr...

Keep posting...

You have hit the jackpot...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi grotto,

Like Missy says, sobriety feels like a jackpot - once we are finally free of the grips of active addiction.
I've learned that alcoholism cannot be cured, but it can be treated, and all each of us has is today - a daily reprieve. So - commit to not drinking today - or for the next hour, etc. And like Anna suggested, change your routine - do something to keep busy when you would usually reach for the bottle - and you'll have gone to bed sober. Worry about tomorrow when it comes.
When I gave up alcohol, I had no idea how much I would be gaining.

I hope you stick around!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you rowan for your positive thoughts, I made supper for the family tonight and that took my mind off booze.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
simplysober

welcome to SR! there are so many great people on here- you can do this

im rooting for ya!
hugs
maria
Old 10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Rowan is absolutely right. I had no idea how much I would be gaining either. I've been where you are, and I know it can get so much better.

Kudos on making supper for the family!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

my biggest worries [i know this sounds lame and stupid]

1. How can I face my drunk friends, every one of them is if not already an alcoholic.

2. We entertain a lot and their is always booze flowing, and this scares me the most.

Any posts you can refer me to addresses these topics, obviously it is not a quick fix solution.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, grotto, I think this is where you have to make some hard choices. I know that I had to make some tough decisions when I stopped drinking. I let go of a few friends and some family members too, people who I considered to be toxic to me. I definitely could not be around alcohol early on in sobriety. It took a long time for me to be comfortable with that. So, I stayed away from people and places associated with alcohol. I had to.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well its day 2, lousy sleep last night blood sugar was out of whack, weird deep dreams. But I got through the night.

Today being day 2 I will try and keep busy goto the gym and make supper again, so as to get out of the routine of zoning out and numbing myself into a semi coma.