Notices

First Post

Old 10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hi all. I have been lurking on this site for some time and find the information very helpful. I have been stopping drinking off and on since March and up until now have never been able to stay sober for more than about a week. I am sober 2 weeks today. I have been having trouble with depression since I stopped drinking. It has gotten to the point where I tried to go to my first AA meeting this morning and I was not able to get out of the car. I hope these feelings are just part of the healing process. I am going to make another attempt at AA tomorrow. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
George
Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi
George,

Welcome!

Early sobriety is a really tough time. If your depression started when you stopped drinking, it may pass as time goes by. Hopefully your body is just adjusting to your sober life. If not, then you might want to talk to your dr.

Please do whatever you need to do in order to stay sober. I know it's really hard, but it will be worth it.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

Have you thought about talking to your doctor about an antidepressant? So awesome you have gone 2 weeks - keep it up!!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR George, I had to go to my first AA meeting while I was in detox...... let me clarify, I had been to one about 4 years before that, but it was just to get my wife off my case about my drinking.

Detox got me sober, AA has kept me sober and continues to do so, not only am I sober today, but thanks to AA I am a far happier and better person then I have been in over 30 years.

Why not just pick up the phone and see if some one won't meet you at the meeting, I can assure you that someone will be more then happy to meet you there. If you are an alcoholic like me once you get into that room you will hear laughter and comraderieship like you never imagined and wonder if you are in the right place, once the meeting starts you will find your self feeling like "Wow these people understand me!"
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the replies and encouragement. My doctor has perscribed Celexa for depression. It has helped some. I guess it just surprised me this morning when I tried to go to my first AA meeting I was not able to get out of the car. I have had some really good days and some not so good, I suspect that comes with being newly sober.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

hang in there Budd....it can be done....
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Budd,

I just had to grit my teeth and go through the door. I lived two blocks away from the meeting site and was late. I had to walk through the door by myself and walk across the room to this table that seemed a "mile" long with a "hundred" people at it but in reality it was two tables pushed together and twenty people. A gentleman sensed my nervousness and got up and welcomed me and walked me to a seat. I still know that man and talk with him everytime I see him.

It was hard but I did it. Each time I went to a meeting there were people ready to greet me and of course since I live in a rural community....some of the same people were at the other meetings. I tried them all for a while before I picked my Home Group which was the first one I went to.

Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Here is a link that might explain your situation

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

I fled my 1st AA meeting before it was over.
I was not that bad
3 years later I returned because
Yes...now I was that bad.

There is hope and healing for you too.
Blessings
Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats to you Budd
Just getting out of the car is the hardest thing I remember I thought I was going to get sick when I drove into the driveway, my stomach was turning. I remember going in and every one pretty much continued to do there own thing and talk which made me feel comfortable. just get there and listen. My doc gave me celexa also and it took a couple of weeks to kick in but it's helps out great.
Good luck keep posting.

Tunafish
Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi George!
Welcome aboard! The people here are really great and often have good advice to share.
Congratulations on your 2 Weeks, that's really good! Keep it up because drinking "on and off" won't work.
Take care.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi george - congrats on the 2 weeks. thats exactly how i was going to my first meeting, but once you're in the door you will ask yourself why you were so scared. i hope you make it to one!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi George! Glad you are posting instead of lurking! LOL

We all have had to walk into our first AA meeting. It was not easy. It gets easier with time. Just know that your not alone in being scared to go in.

Please keep posting.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations George on two weeks sober!! Keep up the good work and get yourself through the door of one of those meetings! Also, keep coming here and keep posting. Good folks here with so much wisdom and courage to share.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

George,

Having the IDEA to go to an AA meeting is a huge decision. Now that you have done the hard part close your eyes and picture a BAR instead of an AA meeting place. Pretend that you want, NO NEED a drink!!

If that is a bar and you need a drink, do you think you can walk through that door? My friend it is all perception. DON'T EVER GO TO ANY MORE MEETINGS THAN YOU WENT TO BARS OR LIQUOR STORES!!

Keep it up; you will get it figured out. WELCOME!!

Jon
Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome!
The first meeting I went to got out of the car and puked my guts out .............before that had went to be a positive support for a g/f had a bottle of gatorade filled half way with vodka, only way I could do those meetings is with a drink....................so much better today
Old 10-23-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Why not just pick up the phone and see if some one won't meet you at the meeting, I can assure you that someone will be more then happy to meet you there. If you are an alcoholic like me once you get into that room you will hear laughter and comraderieship like you never imagined and wonder if you are in the right place, once the meeting starts you will find your self feeling like "Wow these people understand me!"
Hey, that's what I was gonna say!

Ah well, you suggested it first!

Or maybe meet someone for coffee one on one.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi George and welcome to SR. Also congrats on the 2 weeks. I hope you give AA another try. It helps having a support group.

Keep reading and posting. Glad your here.

Barb
Old 10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, George...
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How are you doing today?

Drop us a line, please...
Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and encouragement. I am now 16 days sober. I am feeling somewhat better. It seems kind of strange but I have real problems with anxiety and depression in the mornings. I feel fine in the afternoon and am not having any major craving issues. I suppose that it is different for everybody, but is this a normal pattern?

I have still not been able to get in the door of an AA meeting. I seem to just fall apart and I hate to see a grown man cry especially if it is me.

Once again thank you for all of your support. I have no intention of ever drinking again as I do not want to go through this again. One day I will be able to go to AA just not today.