SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hei, my first post (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/134669-hei-my-first-post.html)

Stella M 10-13-2007 09:02 PM

Hei, my first post

I have been reading here for a long time. I am 50 years old. I bing drink all day and night with some days sober in between, when I get too sick to continue. I often drink alone. I dont work for the moment, and it will be hard to get or keep a job the way I drink i think I live alone. Sometimes someone ask me to come to a pub, I will then continue to drink when my companion has stopped. Often I have been denied more beers in pubs. Drinking and recovering from my periods is taking a great part of my life. I think I need to stop this. I have been to maybe four AA meetings some years ago. Like most people that apreciate a beer or two, joining AA seems a little drastic. I was sober for, 20 days one month ago. I felt much better and managed to do some things that I Should have done a long time ago. A friend called me from a pub and went on with my drinking periods. This is now day two sober again

CarolD 10-13-2007 09:07 PM

Hello and Welcome to SR!
:)
Yes..AA is drastic and that's what I needed
to stay sober. My drinking was drastic too!

Glad to see you here with us

scaredykat 10-13-2007 09:12 PM

Hi Stella.

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting. We're glad your here with us.

Barb

calfritch 10-13-2007 09:52 PM

hi stella - welcome!! keep reading and posting, joining this group has helped me more than i ever thought it would :)

Justme57 10-14-2007 12:12 AM

Hi Stella, my name is leigh and I am an Alcoholic .

I was 57 when I finally put down the booze. Like you , I drank on a daily basis, and it brought me , and those close to me, utter misery !!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your sober days, the trick for me , was/is "just dont drink 1 drink for 1 day"

I used to think it was the 7th drink that was the problem for me, but it was , of course, the 1st one ! :)
I have 4 years sober now , and I did it with AA. ( still do) It may seem drastic, but so is dying choking in your own vomit , dont you think? And I have alkie friends who have died just like that .

One day at a time , you can do this, but you cant do it alone. i found that until I was further away from my last drink, I NEEDED others to help me make the choice not to drink.

Good Luck with it

HUGX
Leigh

Pilgrim 10-14-2007 02:03 AM

Hi Stella and welcome to SR.

I didn't realise how sick I was until I spent a bit of time in AA.

I am so pleased I swallowed my pride (what was left of it) and joined in.

I am pleased you are here and asking for help and advice. That is a step in the right direction.

:hug:

Stella M 10-14-2007 03:41 AM

Thank you everyone!

I have some trouble about posting. Maybe it is because of the old iBook I am using. I am glad to join you and to understand I am not alone in my not very sucsessfull life.

CarolD 10-14-2007 03:49 AM

Hi again Stella...

There is so much ahead of you in life...
so much to enjoy and explore.

I was 53 when I found recovery
and it's been an awesome adventure.

:wink: This can be true for you as well.
Blessings

2ala2 10-14-2007 04:08 AM

Hi Stella,
AA/NA saved my life. I know it can save yours. Find a meeting near you today.
I've visited Norway twice by the way. It is too beautiful to describe, especially the North.

GrouchoTheCat 10-14-2007 04:21 AM

Hmmm,

Most people who enjoy a beer or two and then just put it down and don't give it a second thought don't need AA.

I could neve have one or two and walk away and when I was not drinking I thought about it all of the time.

I find now, that being sober and free from the obsession to drink, even with my AA meetings, I have one heckofalot more time on my hands.

I am much happier too.

Welcome to SR, I am glad you are here,

Ted

Anna 10-14-2007 04:44 AM

Hi Stella,

Two days sober is great and I am so glad that you realized, during your 20 days sober, that life can be so much better. It's such a relief to be free of the demands of alcohol and be able to do all the things that you have thought about doing. One of the really hard things about early recovery is making choices. And, sometimes that means changing friends, at least temporarily.

Rusty Zipper 10-14-2007 04:47 AM

stella, welcome to the world of recovey!

all good wishes...

xxoo, rz

indigo 10-14-2007 06:11 AM

Welcome to SR and on not drinking for 2 days, they soon add up and we are walking beside you.

Missymae737 10-14-2007 07:23 AM

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting....