Notices

new to sobriety

Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to sobriety

Hi, my name is Andy and I live in London, England. I stopped drinking on the 24th September following a routine blood test by my doctor. The results indicated that I have elevated ALT and AST liver enzymes, both of which I am told rise dramatically in acute liver damage. I have been told not to drink any alcohol for a month and to return for another test.

Despite my protestations (lies) that I don’t drink all that often, only at weekends etc. I know, and have known for some time that I am an alcoholic. In fact it has come as quite a relief to me to be told that I cannot drink. I am actually now nervous that my next set of results will come back OK and I will be given a green light to drink again.

I didn’t (and still don’t) believe AA would be right for me, I’m not religious and don’t know how I would feel about sharing my problem with strangers. However, I can see the value in sharing experiences with others in a similar predicament but for now would prefer to do so via the anonymity of an Internet forum.

So far I have taken a rather scientific and logical approach to stopping drinking, and rather than just quit using willpower alone I have been doing a lot of research into the poison itself (and yes, alcohol is a powerful and addictive poison) , and the brainwashing that our society of drinkers perpetuates regarding alcohol. I am beginning to come to some interesting conclusions which I intend to share with you all over the coming months and weeks.

I have tried not to modify my life in any other way than quitting drinking; I still go to restaurants, pubs and other social events with drinking friends and colleagues. I have done this deliberately in order to prove to myself that life can still be enjoyed without drink, and I am happy to say that so far this approach is working.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

All the best,

Andy.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Andy -

Welcome to SR!

More people will be along to greet you, but this is a terrific place for support. Read around the posts. Some people have found sobriety with AA, others without. Regardless of HOW a person obtains sobriety, you will find tons of encouragement and ESH (experience, strength & hope) here.

Amy
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hello Andy - and welcome!

You might want to go over to the 'alcoholism' forums - and read the 'Under the influence' stickies there.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Andy! Welcome!!! I respect you want to try SR / internet first...that's what I did...I have to say to you though, having travelled a lot to London for work the AA meetings in London are awesome...such a diverse group of people...and the nice thing about AA is that you do not have to talk or share anything if you don't want to! So! perhaps look up the meetings as a backup, and if you like one day just go and listen and see what you find...for me, I needed to use ALL the help I could including SR

Good luck and welcome!
Cathy31
x
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello ...glad you are here..

You might think this an interesting link
It's what Barb already suggested.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Welcome to sR!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Andy,

Welcome. I can understand why a medical diagnosis would be sufficient to get you to quit drinking. I understand your fear at getting a green light after a month. Would you consider being honest with your doc about the amount of alcohol you drink?

I hope you continue to read and post. This is a wonderful site and there is a lot of inspiration to be found.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andy and Welcome,

I hope you continue to read and post.

There is lots of support here.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Andy,

Welcome to SR...

It doesn't matter how we achieve sobriety, as long as we have a good support system...

Keep posting, so glad you found us...