Notices

Powerless???

Old 10-10-2007, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Powerless???

I'd like to start this by saying how impressed I am with how helpful everyone is. You all seem to really care. I hope expressing these feelings doesn't alienate me from you all. Although I am familiar with the 12 steps I have never attended an AA meeting because I do not believe in God or a Higher Power. I also feel that the belief that one is powerless only sets you up for failure. I agree that alcoholism is a disease, but I feel that it's the individual's responsibilty to overcome it. I do not feel there is an omnipotent being pulling all the strings. It seems like alot of your recoveries are based on faith in God and I don't want to have any negative effects due to my lack thereof. I wanted to put this out there because I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ryan,

Of course you are welcome to express your feelings. I am not an AA person either. It just wasn't right for me, but it works for many. I have found though, that recovery has helped me to find a spiritual side of my life that I had been lacking. I am very grateful for that. For me, having faith in something that is bigger that I am, is very important. I agree that each one of us has to take responsibility for our addiction, but I do know, when I was drinking, there was a point when I was powerless over alcohol. I believe that I had help from my HP to find my way to recovery. And, for me, recovery means physical, emotional and spiritual work every day. There is no judgement here on this board because we have all struggled and found our way, often with great difficulty. However you find recovery is great, whatever works for you.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi Ryan, welcome!! You don't have to conform to be welcome here...part of wanting to be accepted for who we are, is accepting others for who they are!!! Recovery is a very personal thing.....what works for me, my not be best for you...it doesn't mean we can't recover together!!!

Cathy
Old 10-10-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi ...
There is a sticky post here with info on secular recovery programs

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/

And...
I think SMART .org has an interesting approach

Just in case you are curious...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hey Ryan,

That used to baffle me as well.

To me, the powerlessness doesn't mean that a person's will isn't involved, yes of course it is. It takes a lot of willpower to not drink/use!! It means that once I admitted that after all my best efforts and my best intentions, I could not stop drinking. Until the point that I said to myself "I WANT to stop drinking and I just can't" and "I give up" and "I'm ready to get help with this.."

That's what powerless means to me. I just couldn't do it alone.

As for the HP thing, well I started with doing it for others: my kids, my family, my GF. And slowly but surely, by working the steps my HP is becoming clear to me.

Hope this helped! Keep going..

Karen
Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting Restored To Sanity

Just wanted to make you aware there is chapter in the Big Book called "We Agnostics". You might find this chapter helpful if you are intersted in exploring AA. If you do a little searching, you will find the Big Book online. Anyway, I wish you all the best on your road to recovery.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

LOL..If it was all go with the flow here..I would have been gone a loooong time ago.
Trust me..I am ..use to be a big oddball here.
But they still let me stay..
Awww.
Thanks guys. And glad you are here ...Keep posting.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How we get sober is individual to each of us, the path is irrelevent if we reach our goal. I welcome you and hope that you'll keep posting.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR Ryan. We've got a great mix of people here using many different types of recovery. For me it's a great diverse group of people. Check out the link that Carol posted. You'll feel comfy there.

I'm not an AAer or a very spiritual person and I feel very comfortable around here. I'm very open minded and feel I'm surrounded by others with the same open-mindedness. Give respect. Get respect.

I'm glad you're here!
Old 10-11-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here, too, Ryan.

I go to AA, and spirituality is something I hope to strengthen, but I understand that we all have different experiences/wants/needs. Recovery is what we are all about here, and however anyone achieves or pursues it, is their decision.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

So glad you found us, keep posting...
Old 10-11-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I agree that alcoholism is a disease, but I feel that it's the individual's responsibilty to overcome it. I do not feel there is an omnipotent being pulling all the strings. It seems like alot of your recoveries are based on faith in God and I don't want to have any negative effects due to my lack thereof. I wanted to put this out there because I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not.
Alcoholism is an equal opportunity disease, Ryan...it embraces every race, gender, and creed with no regard for social status, religious beliefs, or lack thereof. So, too, does AA welcome anyone with just a desire to quit drinking. You qualify, my friend!

Don't place so much emphasis on the belief in a Higher Power (God of our understanding) aspect of the program of AA, Ryan. The 12 Steps, 12 Traditions, and 12 Promises of AA are a wonderful way of living...I think everyone could benefit from them...I believe it would be a much better, peaceful world.

Although there is some mention of God/Higher Power, contrary to the belief of some, AA/NA are not religious programs, but spiritual ones, and we maintain that alcoholism is a disease that affects us mentally, spiritually and physically. Perhaps you would be comfortable using the people at the meetings as your Higher Power, in that we can do together what we are unable to do alone. It's worth giving it a try...you have nothing to lose, and much to gain.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome Ryan! Powerlessness for me is what happens once I put alcohol INTO my body - I am powerless...it's a physiological thing I am going to drink and drink until I pass out. I am powerless over the substance. That's why I need to stay away from alcohol...and I use AA and the steps to learn to live again cause I realised all those years drunk I wasn't really developing and I don't actually have a clue as to how to consistently live a good life and do the next right thing - but I'm learning and it's so so great.

Welcome again!
Cathy31
x
Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Great share Ryon, I know many people in the program who do not beleive in God and they continue to stay sober. In Manhattan there are even atheist AA meetings. Personally, I do have a higher power who works through other people in my life and by getting honest while doing the steps allowed me to be useful to other people who are also trying to be honest and stay sober. The chain continues to pay it forward...
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan, Welcome.

This is a great forum. It doesn't matter how you get or stay sober. Whatever works for you.

I go to AA, but i still love hearing suggestions from others that isn't in AA. I might read something i really need at that moment.

Keep reading and posting.

Barb
Old 10-11-2007, 04:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it dosn't say i'm powerless over everything.
obviously, it takes a bit of willpower to drag one's butt to a meeting.
That's what is call taking personal reponsiblities and taking proper actions.
anyhow...I didn't go to AA to save my face or my soul.
I go to AA to save my ass.

yes, most people don't wait up or made plans in their lives
to attend AA or planed to be an alki.

anyway, IMO it's just a suger coated or a cilivlized version of saying
"I admmited I got my ass kicked by alcohol."

anyhow, i ponder about it for a while.
I didn't have any hang ups when it comes to destroying my life..
then I'm going to have a hang up on some words or a conception.
Something that's suppost to help me live a better life...something
wasn't totally right with my thinking when you keep it simple.

AA already knows it dosn't have the conner of the market to
recovery or god.

AA dosn't really perticular care one way or the other.
I think it say, religion or lack of religion.

However..it takes one to know one and you can't BS s BSer
so a group of ex-drunks is probably my best bet.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cathy nailed it.

I don't know about you, but when I drink, and get a good buzz going, it's ON!!! . I continue to drink until I run out of booze , or pass out or both. That's the "allergy of the body" AA speaks of.

If I do manage to quit, I obsess over drinking. When, where, how. "Maybe I'm not an alcoholic, just one little drink wont' hurt......." That's the "Obsession of the mind" that AA talks about.

The two combined are what the first step refers to when it says "Powerless over alcohol...

As far as God/Higher Power. Well, that's step 2, I'd suggest understanding and embracing step 1 first . That said, Step 2 says "Came to believe" NOT "Had a perfect understanding of and complete trust in a power greater than ourselves....."
Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Am I powerless?

Heck NO!

Am I powerless over alcohol?

Heck YES!
Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Your responses to Ryan....

...further proof of what an amazingly open-minded, non-judgmental & non self-righteous group you all are. I can't believe I could have been helped here long ago and never knew about this place. You all mean so much to me, and thank you again for helping me stay off the stuff for almost 9 wks.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcpome SR and to today.

Kevin