Notices

Enjoying sobriety

Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enjoying sobriety

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hello. I've been sober since 8/3/07 and I have to say that it is the best decision I have ever made. Partially because good decisions come few and far between with me, but who cares. It's amazing how much better I feel without alcohol in my life. I am truly dumbfounded when I think about how I kept putting myself through that awful cycle over and over again. I have never posted any threads or anything in my life, so if I do or say something wrong just let me know. It's nice to know that there are other people out there struggling with the same stuff I am.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

Hey Ryan...Congratulations on your sobriety date!..It's indeed something to be proud of..

this is a wonderful board with amazing people..Keep posting and reading..there's a lot of info and many people who struggle with very similar issues..

take care!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great Ryan!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hi Ryan

Welcome! It's so wonderful to hear someone so excited and appreciative about the new life they have choosen! My Sobriety date is 7/25/05 and I can honestly tell you something, my worst day in Recovery is so much better than my best day using. In other words, I am so grateful for this life that I am living that no matter what is thrown my way, I never, ever want to go back to how I was before. My Journey hasn't been all peaches and cream, naturally, some things have happened that haven't been so wonderful, but with working a solid Program,using my Sponsor and a conscious contact with my Higher Power, (whom I choose to call God) I have managed to maintain my Sobriety. You mentioned being dumbfounded at what you put yourself through, never forget that. When I was early in Recovery, I wanted to forget all about my past. But then I realized, I need to remember just how horrible I felt -hating myself, being ashamed, frightened,unsure, disgusted and embarrassed . . . .not to mention the way I felt in the mornings. And what did I do? I did it again that very night. But that was then and this was now! It is wonderful being able to share your feelings on here and read what others are thinking and going through too. I just found this site a little over a week ago and I wish it was here for me early in my Recovery. But I found it now and that's what matters. I don't think there is anything that you can "say or do wrong" on here as long as you're expressing your thoughts and feelings.Continue to enjoy this Blessing that you have been given and never, ever forget how truly wonderful you are feeling right now! By the way, if you think you're happy now, it only gets better! Congratulations on your Sobriety and keep up the good work and give yourself the pat on the back that you so deserve! Keep us posted! Love to hear from you daily to share in your Journey!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello Ryan!!

It is crazy what we put ourselves through, Ryan, 'til we finally see the light. In my case it took decades - so sad. Welcome to your new life - the best part of SR is, you can feel free to whine and say when you are having problems or even a relapse. This is the place that saved me in August - no one judges, everyone "gets it" and has a sense of humor. (I love Long Island! You're in a beautiful place.) Sending love up there to you...
Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome ryan, and to a world of recovery, and a way better life...

congrats on your decision...

ryan, perhaps print your introduction, and tape it on the refrigerator...

you might come to hear about the built in forgetter... lol

all good wishes to you ryan...

xxoo, & blessings...

rust
Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. I wish I had known about this sooner.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sober time...

Looking forward to hearing more from you....
Old 10-10-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety date. I am the same way. It took me along time to realize that I was destroying myself with alcohol. The best desicion I made was to quit. My mind has become clearer and I feel great. Keep posting and we are here for you to help.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Ryan..Glad you are here. Your first day to a better life started on my birthday.
How cool is that?
Keep up the good work. Hope to see more of you.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Ryan,congrats on knocking it on the head.I didn't know what to expect coming on here,but there are so many people here to help and offer support,best wishes.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Hey, Ryan, you still out there? Just checking to see how it's going!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Ryan - welcome & great job -loved your post, hope to hear more from you