Notices

Lost control

Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost control

I'm sure you've heard all of this before, but by way of introduction, this is me...

I drink bourbon every night until I pass out. Like my mother, her brothers and her father, I'm an alcoholic. When I try to quit, I can't sleep, though I have quit a few times over the last 10 years for up to a month at a time.

I quit a 20+ year nicotine habit a little over a year ago and when I did that, my drinking picked up along with my weight. I've probably gained 25 pounds or more.

I'm fat. I'm tired. I feel like garbage all the time. I'm ashamed. I'm making a fool of myself in front of my kid, my friends, my family. I've injured myself by losing my balance. I missed cracking my skull open by about 6 inches last weekend because I was too frickin blasted to walk. I have no control over my consumption. I have to stop.

I've paid myself lip service for a while now. "I'll just drink on special occasions." That doesn't work. All or nothing and I have to choose nothing.

I used 'net resources to beat the nicotine. I've here, hung over, this morning, to try the same with booze.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Train...Glad you are here.
You can stop. It is possible.
Probably alot uncomfortable at first..But that will pass.
Keep posting.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome from me too never lose hope you can do it. You'll find much support and encouragement here amongst non_judgemental people.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes. Most of my drinking happened right after work, so the first test starts in a couple of hours. If I could figure out a way to beat the depression and anger it would be a cake walk.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It's good that you found us and have decided to live a sober life. Try to plan to be doing something different after work so your routine changes. That helped me a lot. You might find that the anger and depression take care of themselves once you've stopped drinking. If not, your dr can help you with the depression.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi,

You might want to check out AA. There should be plenty of meetings in your area.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. I've avoided the doctor for quite some time, but I went ahead and called today and made an appointment.

I think I will do something different. That's an excellent idea. I've got an old (non drinking) buddy who lives near my office. I believe I'll stop by for a social visit.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mike_mass View Post
Hi,

You might want to check out AA. There should be plenty of meetings in your area.
Thanks for bringing that up because I do have a question about AA. There's a meeting very close to where I work. How religious is the organization? I am an atheist and I'm not sure I would fit in.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by The-B-Train View Post
Thanks for bringing that up because I do have a question about AA. There's a meeting very close to where I work. How religious is the organization? I am an atheist and I'm not sure I would fit in.

Hello and welcome to SR,

All you need is a desire to stop drinking to be a member of AA.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome B Train,if you are off the nicotine for over a year then you've shown you do have willpower.Most of us are all or nothing people so theres plenty of support on here,best wishes.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by The-B-Train View Post
"AA is not allied with any sect, denomination......" AA is not religious in any way, shape or form. It is a spiritual program, however.

AS far as the cigs. That's great... BUT (Yeah, that's a big but) nicotine pales in comparison with alcohol. There is no comparison. Will power is useless for beating alcoholism without help.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA does mention God a lot, so I wouldn't necessarily say it's not religious...in my mind it's more of a non-denominational organization that has some aspects of religious ceremony in its practices. I do know a few atheists and agnostics that go and they have long term sobriety. Try a few meetings and see what you think.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks again to everyone. I will attend an AA meeting to see what it's all about.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad you've decided to try it out.