SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Benefits of abstinent lifestyle (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/134031-benefits-abstinent-lifestyle.html)

kfoll 10-04-2007 01:23 PM

Benefits of abstinent lifestyle

In an effort to keep my mind off the idea of "not drinking this weekend," I have decided to write down a comprehensive list of all the immediate benefits I will enjoy if I do NOT stop off at the liquor store and buy a fifth of whatever. Usually, the benefits of giving something up or self-discipline in general are long-term, and in the absence of the instant gratification that whatever you're giving up usually offers, it's hard to see what's in it for you right now, if you know what I mean. So I thought this might be something helpful... post your own and add to my list!

>I will have a whole Friday evening of uninterrupted work on my project, without feeling like I have to sink into bed and fall into a stupor.

>I'll feel more like working and if I don't work, I'll enjoy a movie without falling asleep during it.

>I will be more coherent in my work.

>I will actually have a good night's sleep, without waking up with my neck crooked and my mouth dry.

>I will wake up in the morning feeling rested.

>I will NOT HAVE A HANGOVER!!!! YAYYYY FOR ME!!!!!!!!

>I won't oversleep and miss out on hanging with some friends on Saturday.

>I'll be able to remember everything I did the night before.

>I won't feel embarrassed by anything I did the night before.

>I'll have the energy to do things all day without feeling as if I constantly have to chug energy drinks. (Although I'll probably still drink a Rockstar -- those things own!)

>I won't have spent the $$ on the booze, so I'll have more for other stuff!

Now, add yours! It's fun.:c005:

MyGraySkies 10-04-2007 01:32 PM

I won't have to wake up after 4 or 5 hours of sleep with my body screaming for alcohol to stop the pain and the shakes.

I won't have to check my cell phone in the morning to see who I talked to the night before and wonder what stupid things I said THIS time.

Snopup 10-04-2007 01:34 PM

I can echo those exact benefits.
I'll add this these:
> I don't have to worry about being pulled over by the cops!
> I have a good chance of getting lucky with my wife, rather than pissing her off.
> I'll wake up before the Kids get up and make them breakfast.
> I'll be able to talk to the kids in the morning rather than yelling at them in the afternoon.

blue_Icecream 10-04-2007 01:55 PM

- I'll be able to get up tomorrow morning to take some pictures to be developed to send to my mum, go to a museum with some friends, AND make it to uni in the afternoon! The first two wouldn't even be on the cards if I was drinking and the last would be a real ordeal.

- I'll be able to walk the 10 minutes home from the subway instead of sitting in the bus stop with my head in my hands waiting for a bus to take me three blocks.

- I'll be able to get up early on Saturday morning to go to the train station and buy a ticket for the day to any one of the lovely cities within an hour or so of here.

- Like someone else said I won't have to check my cellphone! LOL

- My clothes won't be covered in alcohol and junk food.

- I'll remember getting into bed the night before.

Astro 10-04-2007 02:01 PM

There isn't a single thing in my life that a drink would improve. Now that's a novel concept!

Hevyn 10-04-2007 02:19 PM

A great idea, as the weekend approaches....

I've been abusing longer, so my list is a little more dramatic! 1)Won't be facing jail for my THIRD DUI should I get pulled over, 2) Won't add to my liver damage or wake up with a pounding heart, 3)Won't wonder where the weekend went, or why my husband's acting all hurt & disgusted 4)Won't have to pretend I remember conversations & stuff I promised to do, when I have no clue (God, I hated that!) 5)Will actually see what 8:00 am looks like & want breakfast - coffee & bacon smells won't turn my stomach! 6)Won't have to pray for it to be time for a "hair of the dog" (therefore wishing away all of the daytime hours of Sat. & Sun.) 7)Won't have to wish I'd wake up DEAD on Monday.

In the end it turned out to be so not fun - wonder why we stayed at it so long....

kfoll 10-04-2007 02:27 PM

Heh, I can relate to the cell phone thing... I've often read some of my outgoing text messages and wondered what the HELL I was thinking... but I reckon I really wasn't! The fact that the recipient of said messages was probably drunker than I was doesn't help at all. He can always read his inbox the next day when he's sobered up.

Another few items on my list:

>I will have something to show for an evening of work, real progress.

>No morning shakes, unless I stop by McDonalds. :)

rloomer 10-04-2007 02:42 PM

How about things we've already lost that we can once again have.

>I might get my fiance back
>I will be able to afford my bills
>I will have real friends and maybe get back the ones I've lost

Steve58 10-04-2007 02:48 PM

All of the above, for sure!

Hey, Asto, You are SO WRONG, Why, drinking improves your chances of injuring yourself, tangling with the law, dying much younger than you should. And that's just a start!

Did anyone mention having to re-hang the pictures you attempted to hang, having to prove that "I'm fine, just had a drink or two"

Best to all!
S

Snopup 10-04-2007 03:54 PM

'couple more:
> won't be looking thru my wallet to see how much money I have left only to find an ATM reciept

> Won't be finding the second one either.

> won't be looking for my car.

> Won't be waking up with someone that I don't remember (chew my arm off type)

And the list goes on... and on...

Dr. Snow 10-04-2007 08:41 PM

And one of the greatest benefits of all: No more chronic diarrhea! Yippeeeee!! :banana:

:cheer

kfoll 10-05-2007 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Snow (Post 1512574)
And one of the greatest benefits of all: No more chronic diarrhea! Yippeeeee!! :banana:

:cheer

LOL!! :c031:

kfoll 10-05-2007 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by rloomer (Post 1512249)
How about things we've already lost that we can once again have.

>I might get my fiance back
>I will be able to afford my bills
>I will have real friends and maybe get back the ones I've lost

>Health and vitality
>Weight - well, actually, it goes the other way around, I can LOSE what I GAINED.
>Respect of my friends & family
>Money - well I can't get back what I've already spent, but I damn sure can start saving now!
>I can afford to get my car fixed soon.
>Time. (An underestimated commodity)
>Artistic focus and creativity
>Self-respect.

:bbj:

Thentram 10-05-2007 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 1512214)
4)Won't have to pretend I remember conversations & stuff I promised to do, when I have no clue (God, I hated that!)

Man, thats the worst one for me too, especially when you get called on it. I remember the feeling the first time this happened to me after a night where I didn't think I had much to drink (before this I had only blacked out after really bingeing). Really freaked me out.

My list:
> Waking up and not feeling like I've wasted the day before it even started
> Not worrying about appearing more sober than I actually am

wiscgirl30 10-05-2007 12:36 PM

- Not making out with some one I shouldn't have
- Not telling someone off
- Not waking up with bruises and not knowing where they came from.
- Not waking up with someone ELSES phone and not knowing where it came from
- Knowing where my shoes, purse, and cell phone are in the morning.
- *ditto on not having to check the text messages!

GlassPrisoner 10-05-2007 12:48 PM

How about:

I have a whole Friday evening of uninterrupted work on my project, without feeling like I have to sink into bed and fall into a stupor.

I feel more like working and if I don't work, I enjoy a movie without falling asleep during it.

I am more coherent in my work.

I actually have a good night's sleep, without waking up with my neck crooked and my mouth dry.

I wake up in the morning feeling rested.

I don't HAVE A HANGOVER!!!! YAYYYY FOR ME!!!!!!!!

I don't oversleep and miss out on hanging with some friends on Saturday.

I remember everything I did the night before.

I don't feel embarrassed by anything I did the night before.

I have the energy to do things all day without feeling as if I constantly have to chug energy drinks. (Although I still drink coffee)

I don't spend the $$ on the booze, so I have more for other stuff!

Yup, present tense. It works if you work it !

[/cliche]

Doug 10-05-2007 06:11 PM

Take some of that booze money, and put it toward doing something fun for yourself that you let get away because of drinking.

That'll take care of a few things, including the "instant gratification". ;)

Oh yeah, let us know how it turned out! :)

kfoll 10-08-2007 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1513792)
Take some of that booze money, and put it toward doing something fun for yourself that you let get away because of drinking.

That'll take care of a few things, including the "instant gratification". ;)

Oh yeah, let us know how it turned out! :)

Turned out great! I was so busy this weekend I didn't even really think about drinking. Well, I was at some friends house Saturday and they had a little wine, and I was thinking how easy it would be to pick up a glass and just sip... but I didn't. I just kept my mind on other things, which was easy because they were filming a zombie movie and I was uber-busy helping with that and acting in one of the scenes. Then yesterday I went hiking, which I wouldnt' have done had I got drunk the night before. I'd stil have been in bed with a hangover, most likely.
So add another one to the list:

> Can engage in strenuous physical activity without dying

Missymae737 10-08-2007 08:44 AM

By not drinking,

I have another day to LIVE life....

This is the greatest gift of all...

NEEDTOBESOBER 10-08-2007 09:07 AM

not having to worry about getting another DWI, have already had 3.

remembering what I did the night before

not waking up after 6 hours of sleep shaking and having to drink some alcohol and take some xanax to feel better and to make the shaking go away

saving money intead of spending it on alcohol and drugs

wasting time trying to find some xanax