Notices

Is it a grieving process?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Is it a grieving process?

So many of us have been struggling the past 2 weeks. Today after almost 7 weeks for the first time I felt hopeful and even a little joy began to stir in my heart. When I look back on these past weeks I realize I went through the 5 stages of grief at one point or another: DENIAL (I'm not an alcoholic, just a heavy drinker who needs to use more willpower) ANGER (Why do I have to have this curse? Life will never be the same if I can't drink!) BARGAINING (I'll be more careful, I'll just drink on special occasions/weekends/holidays-just don't take it away altogether!), DEPRESSION (Nothing will ever be fun anymore, I can't face life without my "friend" by my side), ACCEPTANCE (Alrighty then: Back's against the wall, nowhere to run, end of the road for me. I can't go back to LaLa Land ever again. Somehow, I have to build a new life and find out who I was destined to be before alcohol sucked the life out of me.)

We are grieving, aren't we? It is the loss of a relationship, even if it was a toxic one. We have a void to fill. No wonder some of us are wondering why we're bothering getting sober if we still feel like hell. Even though we've been warned that it takes a long time to reap the benefits of quitting, it still seems to move so slowly and we're impatient for the euphoria we expect to feel. When we truly, in our hearts, accept the loss of our companion, only then can we grow and move on. It took me about 6 of those 7 weeks to accept it, even though I knew I couldn't drink anymore.

Not as well put as I'd have liked, but wanted to put it out there.....
Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

You expressed it very well Hevyn . I agree it is a grieving process...I felt that way too. Sometimes I still do. Congratulations on the 7 weeks!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really hits the nail on the head. I fear that process. right now I'm just trying to find more resources and more friends to talk to.

I think that very well put and we should all remember what that was like

I went through it once and dread going through it again. But I know in order to feel good about me I need to face what I have. A disease. I know that when I finally look it in the eyes I will go through that process. I have to in order to get to the real me. Not just a distorted sense of who I want to be
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....but now....
your new fantastic life can be found!!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I truly agree that it is a grieving process! Yes, our doc was our best friend for a long time. Even if that friend wants to kill us.

Congratulations on 7 weeks! Isn't is great to be alive?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, it is. I honestly feel I've been face to face with the devil and won the battle...this time! The war will never be won, though. Must stay vigilant. SR has done this for me, I wasn't making it on my own.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kubler Ross would be so proud Heyvn...

Nicely said, cheers!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seven Days!!!!!!

Hi Hevyn,

That first week is so hard....just be proud of yourself and the fact that you can recognize the grieving you are going through. You have to love yourself and pat yourself on the back some of the time for the recognition you need.

I was so crazy sick when I first quit and very depressed..due to my history of clinical depression along with my alcoholism. After a year I followed through on some goals I had set and was able to accomplish them.

In the beginning I could not visualize myself not ever drinking again much less have any amount of sobriety. I had been drinking daily for four years and stayed drunk all day on the weekends. I made it to work all week but some days were horrible with hangovers.

You are on the right road being in this forum. SoberRecovery is one of the best forums I have been involved in and we make it as good as we are able to share and ask questions as they come up. Keep up the good work!!!!

kelsh
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh Yes, it is so much a grieving process for us as we go through this.

One of the best books I ever read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. It's a memoir of a young, high-functioning, high-achieving alcoholic who has a love affair with alcohol. She reached her bottom and picked herself up and moved forward. She gave me the belief that I could mourn the loss, pick myself up and have a good life.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

very well said.

Helvyn,

I wish I were as strong as you.

Alyce

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
So many of us have been struggling the past 2 weeks. Today after almost 7 weeks for the first time I felt hopeful and even a little joy began to stir in my heart. When I look back on these past weeks I realize I went through the 5 stages of grief at one point or another: DENIAL (I'm not an alcoholic, just a heavy drinker who needs to use more willpower) ANGER (Why do I have to have this curse? Life will never be the same if I can't drink!) BARGAINING (I'll be more careful, I'll just drink on special occasions/weekends/holidays-just don't take it away altogether!), DEPRESSION (Nothing will ever be fun anymore, I can't face life without my "friend" by my side), ACCEPTANCE (Alrighty then: Back's against the wall, nowhere to run, end of the road for me. I can't go back to LaLa Land ever again. Somehow, I have to build a new life and find out who I was destined to be before alcohol sucked the life out of me.)

We are grieving, aren't we? It is the loss of a relationship, even if it was a toxic one. We have a void to fill. No wonder some of us are wondering why we're bothering getting sober if we still feel like hell. Even though we've been warned that it takes a long time to reap the benefits of quitting, it still seems to move so slowly and we're impatient for the euphoria we expect to feel. When we truly, in our hearts, accept the loss of our companion, only then can we grow and move on. It took me about 6 of those 7 weeks to accept it, even though I knew I couldn't drink anymore.

Not as well put as I'd have liked, but wanted to put it out there.....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks Hevyn! That is an amazing account of the way I have felt myself over the past several months! Thanks so much for sharing it!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, friends

Alyce, so sweet of you to say it, but I don't deserve that compliment - I'm not strong, I'm a wreck. I still don't trust myself entirely! Remember, it took me over 30 YEARS to get to this point! A strong person would have gotten the job done long ago, before ruined relationships, DUI's, bankruptcy, health issues, etc. You sound as if you're far stronger than me & you've reached out for help at a far younger age, while you can still fix things.

Thanks for responding - I was afraid no one would - I'm such a paranoid, fragile soul! I must confess when I can't get on 'puter I suffer withdrawal from SR.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post! Very well said! I do agree that it is a grieving process. It is a loss of something that took up a bunch of time in our lives. Fortunately, since giving it up, it makes room for other things. Things that involve really living!

Blessings and congrats on 7 weeks!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's very interesting. You sure have figuered things out. Well done.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Addict

That all made alot of sense to me.

"we have a void to fill" so very true.

Well done!