Notices

New Guy in Secrecy

Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Mania Man!
Welcome to SR. By the sounds of it you really need to quit. You've come to the right place. You'll find some really great people on here who will have good and wise advice to share.
Good luck!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManiaMan View Post
The thing about my drinking is, it is purely for the good time. I don't run around my apartment going "I need a drink!".
In my experience its just a matter of semantics as they both end in the same result. When I drink its because I feel that the evening would be more fun if I were tipsy. I feel as though I will get more enjoyment out of whatever I'm doing if I am drinking. I wouldn't classify that as "needing" to drink as I don't feel like I could not function without the alcohol.

But in the end its 6 in one, half dozen in the other. Whether I needed it or not it was another non-sober night. It doesn't matter what the reason is to start drinking, the problem is that for whatever reason you do drink.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Hiya main man, i'm 20 and just started my first yr in uni. I live with 11 other people, all who drink- many a lot. I can understand your situation. I'm not saying u will, but i am finding it very hard to stay sober with so much alcohol in the house, however A.A. keeps me sane! Up 2 u what help u choose and wether u want it, but if u do, it's always there and i'd strongly recommend it to anyone. Hope your situation gets sorted
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mania, Taz & everyone else are SO right!

When I went into detox because I thought it would help me in court with my DUI, I tried to stop drinking on my own. My knees shook, couldn't pick up a pencil, couldn't hold a cup of coffee, couldn't get a fork up to my mouth. Lovely! That's why when lunch hour came, off I went to the liquor store so I could get through the day without freaking. When I went to the hospital they said I should have never tried to do it alone, my bloodpressure was sky high. They said I could've had a heart attack, stroke, or seizure. I'm sure you're not as far gone as I was, but your symptoms sound scary. I wasn't drinking hard liquor at that point in my life either - just a 30-pack of beer all by my little self, if I started in the morning. Be thankful you are realizing what it's doing to you at a young age. You can turn it all around and never have to face a future of pain, loss, regret, remorse, humiliation, the list goes on and on. Finally, I decided to try & quit because my organs can no longer handle the poison. I have one last chance to clean myself up - I'm headed to my grave if I don't do it this time. (Husband & drinking buddy already in his for 2 yrs.) SR has been the reason I haven't picked up for 6 wks. plus! I still do not trust myself at all, though. Sending love & high hopes up there to Maine!