Notices

How do you deal with people crapping on you?

Old 09-29-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm just about ready to say "To Hell with it."
And, wouldn't that just prove the point...that you can't stay sober!?! Pray for this person, and, "Don't get mad, get even." The best way you can do that is by staying sober and proving your "friend" wrong!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Originally Posted by TenPacks View Post
When someone who you THOUGHT was a friend dumps all over you, calls you names, mocks your attempt to stay sober, calls you a "toxic mess", accuses you of drinking when you're in fact having Insomnia, threatens to go behind your back to wreck your life, and all kinds of things?

This is a "friend"??? Someone who makes you think it's just too damn hard, and you might as well crawl back in the bottle and screw the cap on behind you?

I'm just about ready to say "To Hell with it."
holy crap i can so indentify with this. i posted several times on here about having to cut toxic people out from my life. one kid (a chronic relapser) began stalking me! he would literally call me everyday, personally attacking and calling me names. he's been in and out of jail and has lived in a halfway house basically since he's been 20 (he's 27 now). he showed up at a my home group last wed (it was my final day chairing it) announcing he was in the first 30 days of sobriety. i didnt talk to him. he's toxic, he'll chastice me for distancing myself from him and then make amends for it later (even though he doesnt have a sponsor) only to chastice once again.

we have to stay away from toxic people. it rubs off on us. also if people refuse to work a program, they will get us drunk before we get them sober! its not easy but ridding ourselves of negative people is in our best interests.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Ten,

I have only been in recovery for a month and haven't had this kind of experience (yet) with friends as I currently live in a different country to the friends I had while drinking and have made some more positive relationships here. Someone mentioned that maybe they are scared that they also may have a problem and I think there's truth in that.

For example, last night I met up with an old drinking buddy that I hadn't seen for a while and I told him that I wasn't drinking anymore. He didn't hassle me or anything but said "make sure it doesn't last too long, I miss our good times". This guy is a great person, but last week he woke up in the afternoon the day after a "good time" in the back of a work truck in a place he didn't know, with no idea how he got there. While he didn't actively criticise me for not drinking, I wonder if maybe the changes I'm making in my life will seperate our friendship a bit, because my idea of a "good time" has changed a bit since the last month. When people move on and change people who knew the old person may not find themselves feeling comfortable with the new person.

Like others have said, it's best to distance yourself from toxic people and keep doing what you need to do for yourself. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Stop all communications with this person. You can't control what he does... but can control how you react. I say let go.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by best View Post
As nasty as said friend was... he just may be a better friend then either of you think he is. A friend gives us what we need, not what we want.

I wouldn't call him a friend but for the fact that he may have given you (without his knowing) just what you need in the moment.
He pissed you off and has you thinking. Your thinking just may save your life as it helps you make the better choices. Maybe not a friend but he sure was a help I would say.
Use that strength that comes from your anger and put it to use for the day.
Just for today, I will not pick up and... I will show him I can do this.
best is so wise. 31 years ago I quit cos I was dying and was surrounded by people telling me I could not do it. Well I did and I used the anger to get into Uni become a Games programmer write 11 books and much more , yeah I relasped using Alcohol after 20 years clean as I had no program and no support so my dis ease was running wild in between my ears. These days I have NA and I grow from each encounter with life and anger is simply another emotion that comes and goes as do all the other emotions. I stay and live life to the best of my ability.

Kevin
Old 10-02-2007, 12:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by best View Post
He pissed you off and has you thinking.
Best, I won't dispute what you say, but how far is it from "He pissed you off and has you thinking" to "He pissed you off and has you drinking" ? ? ?

YES, I know that's MY end of Life to deal with, and there will be other challenges... but there's also a "catch" here. There is a "someone" in my Life that I KNOW can help me make it to the Other Side, and he knows who that is. If I am to believe what I have heard in tid-bits, he has or will try to "torpedo me" with that "someone" - it may have even happened today.

WHY he would want to, I don't know.... he has done nowhere NEAR the things I have tried to do for that person, but then I have also put that person through a lot of grief, too - partly because of alcohol and "who" I have become. BUT I RECOGNIZE THE HARM I DID... it will take time, but "time" is all I ask for!

(ps - I know that sounds typically insecure or paranoid - I bet a few of us have "Bid Dere-DunDat", too)

Never mind, folks - just been a bad few days - even had some crappy dental work today... so damn tired, but aching more than sleep will allow.

One at a time, right? Just one....
Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicago View Post
holy crap i can so indentify with this. i posted several times on here about having to cut toxic people out from my life. one kid (a chronic relapser) began stalking me! he would literally call me everyday, personally attacking and calling me names. he's been in and out of jail and has lived in a halfway house basically since he's been 20 (he's 27 now). he showed up at a my home group last wed (it was my final day chairing it) announcing he was in the first 30 days of sobriety. i didnt talk to him. he's toxic, he'll chastice me for distancing myself from him and then make amends for it later (even though he doesnt have a sponsor) only to chastice once again.
Holy cow - I recognize that scenario... someone who has had drug problems and I have talked to him a few times. He IS trying, and I know he IS a good person inside - but he has had things go wrong (some avoidable, some probably not) that you wouldnt believe... he is NOW trying to start over and rebuild (and that's how strong a word that describes it) a house that HE OWNS, but was absolutely TRASHED by his ex and "friends"... I hand one thing to him - he is young and strong enough inside (I think!) to make it - at my age, it would be tempting to just throw up your hands and say, "There's not enough years left in my life to get this back".

He still worries me some, but time will tell....
Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post

And, wouldn't that just prove the point...that you can't stay sober!?! Pray for this person, and, "Don't get mad, get even." The best way you can do that is by staying sober and proving your "friend" wrong!

And Jersy - aren't you just as right as can be?

Thank you - we sometimes need SOME thought to cling to, some hope for the future, or some way to "GET BACK" at them, maybe? And what finer way than to make them look like the fools they are, when we get "control".... which is all we can hope for, there ain't no "cure".

Of course, there ARE some who will never cut you any slack. I pray for the day I can just FORGET this person, and what he is trying to do to my "someone".

It will come.... it WILL come.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ditch the bottle idea and dump the "friend", he/she is no friend to you and neither is booze.

hugs indigo
Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

if it's raining....
acceptence...you're powerless over the rain.
you have a chioce...stay out of the rain or go out into the rain.
if it's imperitive that you must go into the rain..you still have a chioce.
Go into the rain unprotected or put on a rain coat.
The raincoat is like having thick skin. If you get a rain coat made
of teflon.That's better too..becuase nothing will stick to it.lol
Old 10-02-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

TenPacks-
How do you deal with crapping on you?
YOU DONT! This person is not a friend but rather as others have stated a "toxic" individual. I have weeded those kind of people out of my life, the energy spent on them and not myself because of what they say and what they may do is wasted energy and theirs to waste on themselves! I allowed myself to be treated or crapped on if you will my entire life....we have choices now and I will not allow those in my life that treat me any different than I want to be or would treat them!

Work on your soberity and you! Talk to those who will support you in everyway possible like us here at SR! I'am a co-dependent not an alcoholic but it is still recovery for me too-we have set backs/relapses in recovery and I have friends in my life that say "hey what are you doing?" and help me back up again! Those are the people I need in my life and so do you! My brother is an A going through a very very bad time right now and when I find I have the strength to speak with him I do, when I do not I do not answer my phone.

Hang in there we are behind you 110%
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

SaTit... while everyone has given me things to encourage and make me think in this thread, this caught my eye and my heart:
if it's raining....
acceptence...you're powerless over the rain.
you have a chioce...stay out of the rain or go out into the rain.
if it's imperitive that you must go into the rain..you still have a chioce.
Go into the rain unprotected or put on a rain coat.
The raincoat is like having thick skin. If you get a rain coat made
of teflon.That's better too..becuase nothing will stick to it.lol
I would amend the last line or so... if I can get a rain-coat made of LOVE and SUPPORT, and yes, "TOUGH STANDARDS" that I must live up to... standards that I want to live up to - it could make all the difference in the world. I hope not too many will disagree with me in this: I KNOW the desire for change HAS TO come from within... but to have an goal to look forward to, a person that I know WILL be loving but stern at the same time, as opposed to the Enabling that defeats you sooner or later....

I made a decision the other day - one that I have vacillated about for close to a year.... I have to leave my current situation. It will be heartbreaking in many ways, but I KNOW it's for the best.
As I said the other day, "There is a "someone" in my Life that I KNOW can help me make it to the Other Side."

And I NEED HER, like the air I breathe. It will mean hard times for a while, times that are already making it tough to resist the Problem I have. But I made my decision, one I have struggled with for a long time, months not weeks.

I have to go to be with her, and let my past life go.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
TP, i wouldnt call that person a friend...

and get the hell away as fast as your little ass can move!

all good wishes TP

xxoo, rusty
ON A LIGHTER NOTE:

Rusty, it was on looking back on last weeks posts that the "little ass" thing caught my eye.... the LOVE that I have decided to be with has kidded me (more than a few times) about my "widdle butt". And your line cracked me up - been peeking in my window?
LMAO!

You gave a welcome smile on my face and a good chuckle tonight, Rusty! Thanks....
Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

this is already helping me

Just discovered this site and registered, hesitantly, hoping for a peek at the light (even if it's at the end of someone else's tunnel).

I already feel less hopeless. Thanks.

I've been crawling out of, and falling back into the exact same situation. Had 8 years of sobriety (without knowing I had a problem) a long time ago (but we called it "Born Again"), then.........well, I'm worse off now than ever in my life and have only managed to go 3 weeks without using and drinking.

I am relieved to find this space.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Tenpacks -

been wondering where you were -

octoman 90 and others ) are right - this is no friend.

And I agree that this person just sounds scandalized that you're getting better. I mean, if they can't climb with ya - they've no right to drag you back to the basement.

hang in, friend!
Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
Tenpacks -

been wondering where you were -
I spent a good part of the summer with my "Love" - without a doubt, some of the best times of my entire life! I actually got my PRIDE BACK!

She had to go away for a while and (foolishly, as it turned out) I did not accompany her. In a short time I realized that the "ugly me", that I THOUGHT I had beaten or at least put away, was coming back without her nearby. I upset her family a couple times, and in my horror that I was still capable of being the Old Me - I made a decision to go back before I caused any more damage -
a "Crisis Of Faith", I guess you could call it.

But since then, I feel like I am without my soul, and she has started showing signs of pulling away... something I couldn't live with. I KNOW I would just give up and relapse permanantly.

So I am facing the fact that, while I will go through some difficult times to do it, I have to be in her life.... she is my Salvation, if there is ever to be one.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

TP,

ya, i'm good at peek'n...

took loads of work tho! lol
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
yeah, that guy

It sounds to me like this guy is feeling theatened. If he still uses and you don't, it feels like the "good times" are fading away. You should still avoid him. At least until he gets clean.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

"How do you deal with people crapping on you?"

...I don't.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I have taken this line of thought to "Anxiety", if anyone wants to follow it - I have pretty much put this ex-friend to rest in my mind, but I am now into Panic Attacks, because my wife and I have hit the end of the road together - just the last several days.