Notices

Not sure what to do next.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by Macphisto View Post
WOW, you seem to have all the answers right? And obviously someone that doesn't have a certain amount of time or done it the way you have has no right to give advice correct?

On the contrary...I'm still teachable, and still learning...daily. But, I do believe experience is a major criteria for offering advice.

It's obvious from your posts that you have one mindset and that is that if it's not done the AA way it's no good

I'm aware that other people claim to have stayed sober through other programs, I simply don't know them personally, nor do I have any personal knowledge of those other programs. However, I do know that AA works.

I would suggest to to anyone that maybe you shouldn't give up power and feel defeated, maybe you should think for yourselves instead of having this group "pack" mentality that tells you that if you don't think like the rest of them your comments or suggestions aren't welcome.

I would suggest that "there is strength in numbers", so that anyone who has the experience, strength, and hope of other AA's should feel empowered in their efforts to maintain sobriety.

I also don't believe that it's about the amount of sober time that gives you the ability to help others. How can you compare someone who has stuggled for years and has been sober but fighting every day to someone that just feels great in their sobriety no matter how long they've been sober?

I'm afraid you lost me a bit here. We are all here to help each other, regardless of the amount of sober time; but, there's a difference between helping and interfering. Just because one is sober and experiencing some times of serenity, doesn't guarantee that life will be struggle-free, no matter how long one remains sober.

And how do you gage success? Do you know me and can tell me I'm not successful in my sobriety because I don't have enough time under my belt? It's exactly this thinking that prevents me from attending AA.

No, I don't know you, nor am I in a position to judge the quality of your sobriety; and, of course, it is quality rather than number of years that really matters. However, I fail to see how my being a staunch supporter of the program of AA should deter anyone from attending AA meetings. It just doesn't compute.

Not knocking AA because it obviously helps allot of people but please don't say it's the only way, it's just not true.. and I know this from other people who are perfectly fine without AA

I have never disputed the fact that you know people who claim they are "perfectly fine without AA"; so, please allow me the same courtesy when I say I don't personally know anyone who has remained sober for any length of time without benefit of AA, although I've known hundreds who have.

Also, please re-read my above post and you'll see I'm not discouraging anyone, I'm simply stating an alternative viewpoint but maybe that's just not welcomed here
I didn't need to re-read your post to remember that you were expressing your own negative views to odaat, who had already chosen a path to recovery, and was simply seeking advice on how to proceed with AA meetings and sponsorship.

All viewpoints are welcomed here, even those that are philosophically opposed. That's what makes the world go 'round, and what keeps life from becoming terribly boring.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by odaat View Post
Thanks for the advice Macphisto. I appreciate you offering the alternative point of view, but I'm quite keen to stick with AA. I did 9 months alone, and I wasn't getting any better. I'm not just in AA to avoid drinking, I'm in it to try and improve myself, find happiness and all that unlikely stuff.

Last year I was sober for 17 weeks. I felt fantastic. I was on a real high, didn't go to any meetings, just got on with doing it myself as it was so easy. Only problem was when a downer came - and I could not cope with it and I drank. I know that bad times are going to come again, and I want to give it my best shot, so I'm going to stick with the method that I've seen working.
Congratulations on your decision to "stick with AA"...as one with 27+ years of sobriety through AA, I am entirely confident that you'll not regret it. And, how wise you are to already understand there is more to being sober than simply putting down the drink.

I'm sure the questions you have regarding sponsors/sponsorship will be satisfactorily resolved in due time. You're on the right path...enjoy the journey.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What to do next ?

Work the Steps !

And, it is suggested that you have a sponsor take you through them.

Good Luck on your journey. Trust me, it's well worth it ! If you could see some of the hardships I see in the rooms (non-alcohol related) and how these people face them, head on, with peace, serenity and acceptance......And then go on to help others.

It's a womderful thing.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

[b]Well said, GP.[b]
Old 09-29-2007, 10:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
"Grateful to be Sober."

Thumbs up

Hi ther odaat.
Wow your situation is so similar to mine! I know u mentioned we're the same age and stuff, but readin your post over i can relate alot to what u say. Although i've only been sober 5 days! well done on staying sober so long by yourself- thats fab! I could never do that! But about meetins n stuff, im the same, i try to hang around and hav loads of numbers bt never really dare to use them. Like you i have anxiety issues. Esspecially in meetings! I cant stop shaking, visibly to my absaloute horror! But hey, i keep on going and keep on keeping on as they say! And more importantly i do have a strong faith that it'll get easier. I'm sure it will for u too. But thanks for posting so honestly, it's made me feel better as i know i'm not the only 1 at meetings with these feelings. I'm after a sponser too, but don't really know how to go about getting one. Hope things work out for you though- i'm sure they will do
Old 09-29-2007, 05:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by jinxblu View Post
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear"
but .... God will move mountains, however be sure to take a shovel.

and yes work the program the best you can and stay close to members.

Kevin
Old 09-30-2007, 01:31 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Mandi - congratulations on your five days!

odaat -

There's a gigantic difference between 'not drinking' ... and 'sobriety'.

Hang in there hon!!!