Notices

introduction & my story

Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi Friends!
Day 10 for me today
Nothing significant to report on. Yesterday I was feeling so good I didn't even feel the need to post on here (nevertheless I did come on and read other peoples post and reply to some of them. I kind of feal that in a way others on here depend on me as I depend on them).
Today was the last day I had left to do something about my gas bill because they would have come to disconect it tomorrow.
I was actually expecting my mom to step in with a solution at the 11th hour, as yesterday she'd even asked me how much I owed the gas people. But she didn't.:rotfxko
Luckily a while ago I had lent some money to a friend (I say it was lucky because had I not of lent that money to a friend I probably would have drank it by now). I got $500 of it back today. So I made a partial payment to the gas people and sent them a fax to say I'd pay the outstanding $300 by the end of next week (I also should pay this months rent too. But my landlord's a nice lady and she often hasn't complained even when I've been 2 or 3 months late, so maybe I can postpone that untill I find a job). I hope that will keep them happy because I only just realized yesterday that not only will I have no heating or hot water if they were to disconect it, but I wouldn't be able to cook either.
A girl I kinda know wanted to go into the city with me today, but I wasn't feeling like it. I don't like being lonly but in a way I like being alone, if that makes sense.
Last week I put in 3 or 4 job applications on line. Not one of them have gotten back to me
I havn't been sleeping to good during the past 10 days. Some nights I sleep just 4 or 5 hours. Other nights I sleep even as much as 10, but I still don't feel refreshed in the morning when I wake up.
I've been eating so much too. I just can't stop! Lots of foods with allot of carbohydrates and sugars; chocolate; ice cream; Coca-Cola. I've never had such an appitite in my whole life!
Funny thing is, when I went off benzo's a few months ago I couldn't eat anything for weeks. In fact I lost about 20lbs/10kg. I since put that back on and if I continue eating like this I'll probably gain just as much again! I've gotta stop piging out.
My cigarette consumption has also increased during the past 10 days. Before I was on about 12 - 15 a day if I didn't drink (and about 30 to 50 if I did drink). Now I'm on about 20 - 25 a day, which really isn't good. I oughta do something about that.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Aldo,

I am sorry you are having so many problems; I have none of these but STILL can't stop the drinking. You are WAY ahead of me.

really hope you have a better day,
Alyce
Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alyce14 View Post
Aldo,

I am sorry you are having so many problems; I have none of these but STILL can't stop the drinking. You are WAY ahead of me.

really hope you have a better day,
Alyce

It really isn't too bad. I think of how good things are going to get in 3 or 6 months or a years time from now.
To be honest, things are already certainly better just because I'm not drinking and I'm facing these situations which drinking has gotten me into.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi aldo. Just wanted to say hi. I wouldn't worry about the cigarettes yet. I smoke myself. Quitting drinking or drugs is hard enough by themselves. I'm not even gonna try to quit smoking until i have some good sobriety under my belt.

Barb
Old 10-03-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredykat View Post
Quitting drinking or drugs is hard enough by themselves.
Cigarettes are a drug!!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
Cigarettes are a drug!!
LOL I know that. I'm just telling you what i was told by my friends in AA. No big changes in your first year.

Barb
Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Aldo,

I'm glad that you've taken steps with the gas company. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are happy bout that..

As for the eating, don't sweat it. I have a big ole sweet tooth now since I'm not drinking..I've cut back on the ice cream (junk in the trunk getting a tad bit too big)but I keep M&M's on hand!

I also smoke and I picked a quit date: 2/21/08 which will be my sober anniversary. I figure one thing at a time, right?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by merlotmamma View Post
I picked a quit date: 2/21/08 which will be my sober anniversary. I figure one thing at a time, right?
That's a good idea! I'll think about that too nearer the time.
Thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Way to go!
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 12 for me today (I think. I've actually lost count!).
I'm doing fine. I realized last night that I'm not thinking much, if at all, about the alcohol. What I am thinking allot about is alcoholism. In fact every time I come on the net my first port of call is here! It's just adjusting to life without alcohol is a bit difficult sometimes. I feel kind of lost in regards of what to do with all my free time (last night I watched a movie, alone. Today I played guitar for a while (with a broken finger! lol), alone. I think I might watch another movie tonight.
I havn't even thought about having a drink for quite some days now. In fact yesterday I was watching somebody drinking a bear and just thinking about it made me feal a bit nauseaous.
So it's the weekend again. I hate the weekends, with or without alcohol.
I'm still not sleeping well, but all summed up I'm feeling ok in all aspects.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yup your day 12 Aldo because I'm a day ahead of ya. Today is day 13 for me.

I know what you mean about the weekends. After drinking all these years on the weekends especially its work trying to get use to not drinking. I try to keep busy like definitely not missing my meetings on Fri and Sat. Those are the hardest days. I also come on here or do other things on the computer. Puzzles is another thing i like to do. The Sudoku puzzle is my favorite. I also like reading fun stuff when I'm not reading my recovery books. Right now I'm reading the 2nd book from the "Harry Potter" series.

Barb
Old 10-05-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredykat View Post
Yup your day 12 Aldo because I'm a day ahead of ya.
That's rite Barb. You keep on staying a day ahead of me because you're a great example to follow!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi friends!
Day 15 today for me, and I'm doing fine. I'm not thinking about drinking at all. In fact the thought of a drink makes me feal sick almost.
This seems to have become so easy now that I'm almost worried I might have a relapse. So I'll have to be very careful.
I think I've been sleeping a little bit better during the past couple of nights. However I'm now smoking about 20 a day, and I'm eating a liter of ice cream a day!!
I've got to put the breaks on the eating thing because I'm scared of getting fat.
I'd just like to say that the past couple of weeks on here have been really great. It's been really nice listining to your problems and sharing my problems with you. I've meet some really nice people here.
I still havn't found a job yet
I probably won't be on much during the next 10 days because my mom will be in town and I want to hang out with her a bit, and I guess she wants to check up on how I'm doing/what I'm doing. So don't be allarmed if I'm not on much for a few days.
Take care.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hello my friends!
I'm sorry I havn't been on much for the past week or so. My Mom was in town so I've been hanging out allot with her.
Barb, what day am I on?! I've lost count! Anyway I know next Monday will be 4 weeks for me.
I've really got to say that I'm doing fine. My broken finger's a bit better, although it still doesn't feel right. I don't have much strgenth in it and it's also a bit numb still. I saw the doc about it last week and he said that's normal for a few days, but I don't know. If it doesn't get any better then this I'll go see him next week.
It's been at least a couple of weeks now since I've even thought about having a drink. As I've said before when I think of drinking I tend to think more about alcoholism rather then actual drinking.
I'm not craving or missing the booze at all. I'm just trying to put my life back together a little bit at a time, which isn't easy but it's certainly easier like this rather then it would be if I were drinking.
I still havn't found a job but, with my families help, my financial situation is slowly improving a bit. I'm now up to date with my bills and rent. I've got my old little car running again, although I'll soon have to pay the insurance on it and fit a set of new tyers. I've even got 2 vacations booked which I'll be taking during the next few months and I've also got too day trips planned to go to two Bruce Springsteen concerts next month when the tour hits Europe. So I guess I can't really complain at how things are going.
All I need now is a job and a girl
I was talking to a friend a couple of days ago. She said that when I drink I'm arrogant and pompous. I didn't realize I was like that. I'm usually a rather quiet, discreat and humble person. I really don't want to be arrogant.
Oh, yesterday I was in the supermarket doing my domestic shopping and I had wandered into the wine section. I guess for a moment I'd forgotten I'm on the wagon and so in my moment of distraction I was choosing a bottel of wine! Then I realized what I was doing so I walked away. It took *allot* of determination to just walk away, but I did it.
Anyway, I'll leave it at this asI don't want to bore you. I hope you're all doing ok.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:20 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

You sound good Aldo..glad that you checked in!

xo

Karen
Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good for you Aldo for not buying that bottle of wine. If you really want to know today is day 24 for you. I'm on Day 25. Hang in there. We're both coming up on a month.

Barb
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

[IMG]smiliie face[/IMG]
Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
Hi Friends! As this is my first post I'd better introduce myself: So hello, my name's Aldous, male, 26 years old, and I am defiantly an alcoholic.
I don't know if this is the correct area in which to post, but I'd like to share the short version of story of my rollercoaster ride with you. I could tell the full version but the details are irrelevant. I’m sure not many of us are not strangers to the effects of alcohol, and the crazy things one ends up doing under the influence!
I started drinking - and by drinking I don't mean just a glass or two at meals - about 12 years ago, when I was about 15. in fact, to be honest, I had my first drinking session when I was about 13, but after that for a few years the opportunity to drink didn't arise again. After my first experimentations I believed I'd never felt better.
I'm a shy and reserved person by nature, but when I drink I become very talkative and I think I become friendly too, but no doubt others would probably disagree with the latter statement.
I continued drinking until I was 20. I don't think a single day passed that I wasn't intoxicated.
By then I knew I had a problem. I was getting drunk 3 times a day; I was loosing massive amounts of money gambling; and I lost my few friends too. The only people who'd hang around me were either the vampires I'd play cards with or my drinking "buddies", who were most likely just hanging around waiting for free drinks or a free meal.
I then stopped for 6 and half years. They were very good years. I made new friends. I started studying again for a while (I didn't succeed). I bought my dream car. I got a serious girlfriend. I learnt to play guitar. I lost allot of weight. I rented an apartment and went to live alone. I'd even stopped smoking. All summed up I was happy and satisfied with life.
A few years ago I befriended a pharmacist in order to get more benzodiazipines, which I'd originally been prescribed for my anxiety. Needless to say I soon become addicted to them and within no time I was on about 15 to 20 times the prescribed dose. I don't in any way favour medication abuse, but I have to say it was ok for a while. Until I became like a zombie.
7 months ago I broke up with my girl friend, after a few years we'd been together. I was very upset. Soon I resumed drinking again and subsequently I went on a major benzo+alcohol binge for a few months.
Looking back it's been grotesquely amazing what I managed to destroy such a relatively short period of time: I lost all my friends; I totalled my car; I spent all my money; I inflicted deliberate physical harm upon myself; I ended up in the E.R. room (or whatever it's called nowadays) two times within 3 months; I started smoking again; I threw a few guitars (I'm kind of into Rock. the guitar thing was something I figured somebody like Ozzy might do so I somehow thought it would be kool, even at the expense of destroying a guitar I couldn't afford to replace) and various objects out my window; I wasted an enormous amount of money; one night I even O.D. on benzos as I'd been taking them with alcohol. The list goes on, but I wouldn't want to bore you.
In the meantime, I somehow managed to quit my benzo addiction. I saw a shrink for a few sessions too. and in the relatively rare hours when I was sober I even made a connection with God (as I understand him in my own way).
At one point things even looked like they were going to get better: I got a job in another country so I wouldn't have to associate with my old friends and hang out in my drinking haunts. Although I must admit I quit that job after just 3 weeks and came home.
I then didn't drink for a further 2 weeks or so (total approx 5 weeks) but it continued to be ok for a while. I got a new girlfriend, but it quickly didn't work out. However she's a good supportive friend to me now, even though on a few occasions I'd called her at like 4am yelling at her and telling her obscenities.
Eventually my old girlfriend came back. We hadn't seen each other in almost 6 months, but we used to talk almost every day. When she came back it felt as if we'd never been apart (intended in a positive way that is). Nevertheless she only hung around for a few days before packing her bags again. However let me say that for the few days during which we had our reprise I kept sober. I didn't want to drink at all. In fact we were even trying to quit smoking together.
I sincerely believe it wasn't because of the alcohol that she left again, I’d always kept my word to her that for any duration of time that our relationship was going I’d not have had a drop (In fact I have to give her the credit she deserves, as many a times while our relationship was on I’d been on the edge but she’d always somehow managed to convince me to hang on). She went back to her other guy. The bloke she'd left me for and then in turn left him again to return to me, only to ultimately return to him yet again. Maybe it's because he has a regular steddy job. I haven’t seen or even heard from her since and I don’t know how to contact her.
It was only a matter of hours after she'd disappeared through the door, baggage in hand, before I ended up in one of my drinking joints. For the next month I was in a perpetual state of alcohol influenced oblivion, until 3 nights ago.
I'd had a bad day. I'd realized I was at rock bottom: no friends; no job; no nice car; no money. so I took to the bottle - for the last time. That night after having crashed my old jalopy car into a wall and having returned home in one piece, to continue drinking, I eventually ended up in the E.R. room, yet again. I'd had a fall (had I have fallen 2 feet before I would have almost certainly broke my neck!) and had broken a finger. it hurt so bad I seem to remember sobering up very quickly, even though the order of events of that night still aren't too clear, there are many fragments all mixed up. However I take it that the doctors and nurses don't sympathise with drunks. They certainly weren't very nice to me.
I woke up the following morning somehow realizing that things were way out of control. Not that I hadn't noticed before, of course!
In fact many times during the past 6 or 7 months I'd tried to not drink. I'd even been emailed a link to this forum among others, from a friend. I didn't really even take a proper look at it, let alone sign up.
After 6 and a half years of being on the wagon I thought maybe I could just drink "socially", like the vast majority of people do. Plus I guess that as I didn't think I was causing anybody any harm it would be ok to do so, which needless to say was a big denial of the problem.
Today, after just having a "final warning" from my landlord that the next time one of my neighbours complains about the broken empty bottels or guitars in the compound beneath my windows or if anybody complains of any disturbances I'll be kicked out, zero tollerance this time. She's a nice lady, never had I seen her as mad as she was today. I felt so bad. I didn't even have any memories of throwing any bottels out my window the other night. No do I recall having made a racket because of the pain from my busted finger.
So I thought it was time to check out this forum.
And so here I am now: no friends (I live in a tiny town, where by now everybody knows what antics I get up to, and where even at the best of times it's near impossible to make meaningful friendships no matter how hard you try); no money; absolutely no car; no girl; no job; yet again a ruined reputation; and a broken finger.
Today will be my 3rd sober day (I have to admit that after having been used to telling people "I don't drink at all. it's been 6 and a half years now" saying "I'm on day 3" doesn't feel like a big deal) There aren't any Al-Anon/Narc-Anon meetings held anywhere near me, so I've always dealt with my problems alone.
This time I know it won't work alone, so I hope that possibly with your help and support we can get me fixed.

Hi Aldo: welcome to SR, please try your best to make it to a meeting they are very important it's where your recovery is,and find a sponser and work the 12 steps.

Your friend

Sneakers,
Old 10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

congrats on your almost month guys! today is day 15 for me. i was having anxiety attacks today so i just stayed in bed but it helped and am feeling better!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi Friends!
Last night there was a good local band playing at one of my old drinking haunts so I went to see them.
I sat down at the bar (and ordered a Pepsi!) and two guys sitting next to me turned around and greeted me as if they knew me. I was shocked. I could have sworn I'd never set eyes on these chaps in my life! If it was only one person who had of greeted me I could have thought that maybe they'd mistaken me for somebody else, but them being two people it was clear that I must have encountered them during a drinking session and I just don't remember them.
Is that blacking out? I've always known that when I drink my memory gets a bit confused and the order of events gets mixed up. I also know quite often I couldn't remember where I'd been and stuff. But it had never happened to me before that I'd completely forgotten a person. Often I'd have a fragment of memory of talking to a person, but never had I forgotten somebody.
It really was quite embarrassing. I didn't know how to handle the situation so I went outside to smoke a ciggy.
Then some old friends arrived and I went back in with them and hung out with them for the rest of the night.
Something else then happened. My friend told me that last time he'd seen me (drunk) I'd told him I was in financial difficulties and I was up to my neck in debts. I have no memory of this event either.
This scares me a bit because it makes me wonder just what I've been doing and saying, and to whom, when I've been drinking.:wtf2
It also worries me that I could have hurt somebody or something because I used to always drive when I was drinking (And never did I get caught Just once the Sheriff called me into his office to ask what was going on with me and he knew I was drinking and driving and he asked ME what he should do! I told him I'd made a mistake and if he let me keep my license it wouldn't happen again - the following week I totaled my Porsche) and I knew that the alcohol was impairing my memory a bit because in the morning I'd often check my car just to make sure I hadn't hit anything the previous night which I didn't remember about.
It's difficult sometimes adjusting to life without any alcohol. Last night while I was with my friends, who were all drinking, I felt quite odd. I'm not like them.
Anyway, it's Day 27 (I think!) for me today and I'm doing ok. I'm just eating too much and I really can't stop eating chocolate. I've put on about 10lbs/5kg in the past month. I think I'm addicted to chocolate now as well!!
On Monday I'll either sign up at the gym or start eating less, or maybe both.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:25 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
I'm a Pickle

As someone who blacks out all the time, I would say yes, that is what has been happening to you... It is scary huh?

Congrats on your day 27!!! Thats wonderful!!!!