Notices

Things my mother taught me!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things my mother taught me!

I recently came across this little tid bit and it got me to thinking, yeah my mom taught me most of these traits plus a few more. Which ones am I, as a new comer to my recovery program, going to instill within my child.....what do you remember want what do you hope to instill within your children?

Things my mother taught me:

My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE - "If you're going kill each other, do it outside - I just finished cleaning!"
My mother taught me RELIGION - "You better pray that will come out of the carpet."
My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL - "If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"
My mother taught me LOGIC: "Because I said so, that's why."
My mother taught me FORESIGHT - "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."
My mother taught me IRONY - "Keep laughing and I'll *give* you something to cry about."
My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS - "Shut your mouth and eat your supper!"
My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM - "Will you *look* at the dirt on the back of your neck!"
My mother taught me about STAMINA - "You'll sit there 'til all that spinach is finished."
My mother taught me about WEATHER - "It looks as if a tornado swept through your room."
My mother taught me how to solve PHYSICS PROBLEMS - "If I yelled because I saw a meteor coming toward you; would you listen then?"
My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY - "If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - Don't Exaggerate!!!"
My mother taught me THE CIRCLE OF LIFE - "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out."
My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION - "Stop acting like your father!"
My mother taught me about ENVY - "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do!"

THANKS, MOM!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah so true I look just like mine and she means a lot to me!!!! Ok truth is I am a mommas girl..........lol Thinking it is time to see her again it has only been since Sunday!!! But momma had surgery Monday and I am a worrier!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah so true I look just like mine and she means a lot to me!!!! Ok truth is I am a mommas girl..........lol Thinking it is time to see her again it has only been since Sunday!!! But momma had surgery Monday and I am a worrier!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

With my friend Rob losing his Mother as of late I have been reflecting on my mom.....She is very special to me even though she didn't raise me, well not exculsively. I was pretty much raised by my grandmother. She Died awhile ago, I will NEVER forget her.......But me and my mom, we finally got close and this last month when we came so close to losing her I began to realize just how much I have truely learned from my mom. Recently she has started Journals for each one of us kids, she said we could read them after her will was read......I know we all are wanting to read this awsomely long letter from our mom......I love you Mom!!!!! Thanks for not giving up!

So mom and I are doing things together......this week she finally taught me something that has bothered me for years........She has finally taught me how to make her tomato sauce......when your Italian everyone wants their mothers recipie.......I finally was handed it, I was so honored........
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

My mum taught me how to stay alive

Kevin
Old 10-12-2007, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Survival of the fitest!!!!!
My mom taught me how to fight.......all of my life I have watched her do just that !!!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hopefully since my daughter is still active in her addiction, I have managed to teach her resilience. It is something that she needs. My own mother is very dear to me. She went through a lot in her life and never stops being positive. She also is resilient. Thanks for the post. It made me smile. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As the daughter of such a situation I can almost garentee she has.....you know when we are growing up it is so hard, but then when we are "grown" it is still hard and we have no choice but to take the lessons that our mothers have taught us a nd we have seen that works and put them to work! I am glad it made you smile!!!!HUGS!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CRAP!!!!! Keep it up and I'll come give you that hug in person we are practically neighbors!!!!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

My Mom taught me unconditional love,

by giving me unconditional love.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That makes you TRUELY Blessed!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Last night my Brother who has been in Iraq since pretty much day one came home, I was told to keep my mouth shut.............That is so hard to do.I explained to him that it may not be a good idea to keep this from his mother seeing as she has a bad heart.....He didn't listen, but she is fine. Well we suprised her this morning...my reward for bringing her "Baby" home was to finally teach me how to make a proper Italian Pizza Pie...............these things are God like they taste so good!!!!
So early this morning Momma taught me how to make my brothers favorite pizza pie!
ricotta pizza pie ( I love this time with momma she tells me stories of growing up. Seeing as I am a PK and Military Bratt it is wildly different to hear her life growing up with a father that worked from sun up to sun down everyday).
I asked momma for her recipie she said she didn't mind if I used it on here, she said there are many different variations, but only one of hers........lol I hope you guys enjoy it! Try making it with your momma see how close you can get to a bonding moment!

For the crust
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 eggs, beaten and mixed with 6 tablespoons water

For the filling
5 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated pecorino
1 pound ricotta, excess liquid drained
1 cup salami, such as sopressata, sliced or cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup shredded mozzarella (or mild cheddar or Gouda)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley

1. Preheat oven to 400°F.

2. Place the flour, salt, and olive oil in a large bowl and work it with your hands until the oil is incorporated and the mixture resembles crumbs. ( momma uses a large marble bol she said it would keep the dough at room temp and taste better...she also said clean up was a breeze a little hot water and wipe it out never to use soap on it! Kind of like my t fal cookware!)

3. Add the egg mixture and toss until the dough comes together in a dry mass. (Add another tablespoon or two of water, if needed.) Knead until just smooth.

4. Flatten the dough into a disc; set aside.

5. In a large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients except 1 tablespoon of the eggs and 1 tablespoon of the pecorino.

6. Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch-diameter pie dish with 2/3 of the dough (rolled out 1/8 inch thick), allowing for a 1-inch overhang.

7. Scrape the filling into the dish and top with the remaining 1/3 of the dough (rolled out to the same thickness). Press the edges together to seal, and cut slits in the top crust.

8. Brush with the reserved egg and sprinkle with the reserved cheese.

9. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and bake until the top has puffed out, about 1 hour more.

10. Let cool 15 minutes before removing from the dish. Serve warm or at room temperature. ( I like to dunk mine in Marinara sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Makes enough for maybe 10 to 12 people...............Mom also said to make sure to make a lot more because everyone comes running when they smell this baking............another brother and his wife and kids came over!!!! She Must be right!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recipe. Sounded so good I went right out and bought the ingredients. I was concerned I wouldn't be able to find pecorino cause I'd never heard of it, but it was right there. Turns out there are a LOT of cheeses I've never heard of.

I'll probably make it tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. And if you don't mind I think I might throw in a little ground Italian sausage, too. I'll go light on it, though, so it doesn't drown out the salami.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Please let me know I sware my favorite cheeses are provalone and havarti and people just look at me strange!!!! Let me know how it works out!!!! Momma said try Kalamatra olives as well!!!! She loves to dip hers in olive oil!
Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ah, hah! This is what my Italian relatives call Pizza Gaine...always made at Easter, if at no other during the year:

CRUST:

1 3/4 c. flour
Pinch salt
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 lb. butter
2 eggs (and enough water to equal 1/2 c.)

FILLING:

2 lbs. Ricotta
1/4 c. grated cheese
1 egg

(If it seems too thick, loosen with a little milk.)

3/4 lb. assorted sm. chunks of meat (salami, pepperoni, prosciutto or capacola.)

Place flour, salt, sugar, baking powder into a bowl and cut in the butter until crumbly. Add eggs and water mixture and stir making a soft dough. When rolling the crusts out, be generous with the flour and it won't stick.

Mix the cheeses and egg well. Add the chopped meats. Put into pie shell. Add top crust. ***** with fork. Brush center part of the crust with milk. Bake in moderate 375 degree oven for about 45 minutes until golden brown. Cover with foil if it browns too quickly.

Makes a nice full 9 inch pie.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jersey are you Italian???? Mom says that is how she makes ours almost!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My Mum taught me how to drink like a lady.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by WLDKATZ View Post
Jersey are you Italian???? Mom says that is how she makes ours almost!!!
Naw...but, my Stepfather was Italian (Falco), so my brother and sister (she married a Roma) said they were Italian. Besides, I grew up in Newark...lived most of the rest of the time in the Newark suburbs...I think every other family was Italian. I miss the great restaurants, pizzerias, bakeries...nothing like them! Oh, and the San Gennaro Feasts!
Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I pray you are speaking of Tea......HUGS

My mom tried so many times to get me to sit with my legs closed..........ankles crossed and knees to the side.........lol still can't stand it!