Notices

Things my mother taught me!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
My Mum taught me how to drink like a lady.
I guess I missed that lesson...don't think any "lady" ever drank the way I did. But, I must have always wanted to, because I used to play that song over, and over, and over again on the jukebox: "Three Times A Lady", as I sat on the barstool getting sloshed.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My mom taught me resilience, God rest her soul. I love the list though will forward that one onto sis.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was HONORED to be in Rome during the celebration of this Patron Saint....People crowd the streets feasting on calzones, zeppoles and sausages of every size and shape!!!! There was SO MUCH FOOD!!!!! I want to go back to ROME!!!!
I miss the stalls and food vendors

ahhhhhhhhhhh the joys.............lol Thanks For my world trip momma and dad I will never forget it or you!!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My mom taught me to drink like a MAN! And my therapist taught me to stop many years later.

Off topic, maybe, but FWIW my dad taught me to cuss like a sailor. My dad's a good guy, not abusive or anything, but kind of a pottie mouth. I got in trouble in first grade for asking my teacher, a Catholic nun,"What the hell is this s**t?" when I received a bad grade I didn't think I deserved. Good times. Fortunately I was starting school right about the same time corporal punishment was going out of style. A few years earlier and she'd have kicked my a$$, but I just ended up being derided in front of my peers and my parents got a phone call.

Anyway, Katz, I got the pie in the oven about 10min ago. The filling filled it up a little more than I thought it would so I had a little trouble sealing the top layer of dough without the filling leaking out. But I think I got it sealed OK. Also, when I slit the top layer, were the slits supposed to go all the way through? Like, should I have been able to see filling in the slits or do I just want to see lines in the dough? Cause either my knife was too dull or the dough was too tough or too thick cause when I tried to slit it I did it just like when I score a loaf of bread and the slits didn't really go all the way through the dough? Is this thing gonna explode in my oven? I guess I bake like a man, too.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

OK, I guess the slits were probably supposed to go all the way through. Half the top popped up around the edges. The filling's not leaking, though, so it's all good. It's browning nicely and I'm just gonna give it another minute or two before I get it out. I don't know if my house have ever smelled this good.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

LOL
I am so sorry I have to ask...................ARE you a man???
LOL
yes always slive through the top layer of anything which has the edges sealed, it is like a pressure cooker once that crust is punctured it can explode with steam.....I got burned really bad once with an apple pie that way.....I really do hope that you enjoy it!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm a man. I do a lot of cooking, but baking isn't really my thing. At least not yet. I'm more into kettle-cooking; jambalaya, stew, soup, chilly, that sort of thing. This was my first pie. I've made plenty of pizzas, but never anything with a crust on top. In case you couldn't tell.

Anyway, it turned out really good. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tons of recipies.............. I have been working on a cook book for over 11 years now.....I have dual degrees in Culinary arts..........so I know how to cook just a little.......lol give me an idea what you like to eat and I will see what I can come up with for ya...........lol This dude here is my favorite chef though!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Momma wanted to know if you loved seafood?????LOL She sees you as a project scar...........lol
Old 10-14-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I love seafood but can't afford the good, fresh stuff on a regular basis. What I'd really love is a good clam chowder recipe. I've tried 5 or 6 different recipes over the last couple years and a couple of them were good but I haven't been able to match restaurant quality yet. Problem could be that I use canned clams instead of fresh. But there's definitely a lot of variation in recipes for this. Some recipes call for milk, some say cream, some have bacon and others don't, etc. So if you've got a good one let me have it. And I'm talking about the New England kind. I've had the Manhatton stuff and don't like it much.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Classic Clam Chowder
INGREDIENTS
6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into small dice
3 large onion, cut into medium dice
1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
6 bay leaves
4-1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
6 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
12 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams (clams and juice separated)
3 cups water
27 new potatoes, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS
In a large soup kettle, fry bacon over medium heat until bacon crisps, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon; set aside.
Keep 2 tablespoons bacon fat in pan. (If necessary, add oil to yield 2 tablespoons.) Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and bay leaves; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
Whisk in mashed potatoes, clam juice (bottled and what you've drained from the clams) and 1 cup of water. Add new potatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat; continue to simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in clams, cream and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
Heat through and serve, garnishing each bowl with reserved bacon.

momma also said to wash your clams really well!!! They have loads of sand in them!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

One of the joys and benefits of sobriety...I spent my 62nd birthday in The Vatican as part of a Seven Capitols travel tour...spent my 65th touring Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales.

My Mom (now a 95-year-old Alzheimer's victim) has always been a survivor...my sister and I learned this valuable lesson from her. However, we had to learn to cook on our own, even though Mom was an excellent cook of just about anything you could name. She could eat something in a restaurant, tell you the ingredients, and go home to duplicate it...amazing lady.

Whenever I wanted to make something new, I could always go to the foodnetwork site...the recipes range from easy to medium to difficult. One of the things I miss most being in the nursing home is COOKING!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Fascinating. I've never seen a chowder recipe that called for mashed potatoes as an ingredient. I notice you're not using any roux, so I guess the mashed taters are the thickening agent.

Now about the 27 new potatoes. Is that a typo? Cause that's a lot of potatoes. For soups and mashed I usually use the big Russets or Idahos. If you really want me to use 27 are you talking about the smaller ones, like red potatoes?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

LOL
ROLLLLLLLIN
momma said that is enough just about because it feeds about 25 to 30 people...........lol I have 11 brothers and 8 sisters she only knows large cooking.....New potatoes ARE baby potpoes, you can use red ones but uses the smaller ones! Mashed potatoes along with the new potatoes are starchy that is where your roux comes from!!!! Do you know the holy trinity yet?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Jersy I am blessed to have a mother with the same gift, I love to cook but not like momma!!!!!!!!!!!!
My mom saved since the day I was born to send me around the world....would of made it but went into labor in Ireland and all I wanted was my mom............lol
Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yeah, when I saw how much onion, clam and clam juice was going into this I figured it'd be about twice as much as the last time I cooked it.

I've made plenty of gumbo and jambalaya so I'm pretty familiar with The Trinity. That's onion, celery and green peppers. If you use carrots instead of green peppers it's a French word I don't know how to spell that sounds like MIR-A-POY. I think it's miripoix.

EDIT- OK, I googled it and I did spell it right. MIRIPOIX.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ROLLIN damn your good!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I didn't learn about Mirapoix for a few years into my schooling...........lol
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)