Notices

Taking Advice

Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Taking Advice

Alright here it goes.

Two weeks ago I spent 300.00 in 2 days. every penny I had. without thought of what I was going to do for the next 2 weeks. I don't have my own washer and dryer so I have to walk down to the laundry mat 3 blocks down. Did I think of that? No.

I had NO food in my fridge and no Cigarettes. I didn't think about anything. I managed to make the laundry thing work by wearing my winter clothes since it's getting a little cooler out I don't get too many weird looks or anything.

My sponsor picked me up from work on Thurs. and brought me 3 big bags of food and gave me 20.00. I don't have a checking account as a result of too many bridges being burned. So I just gotta go cash my check at our companies bank and then I have all that cash on me.

Friday is payday and I get paid bi-weekly so it's 2 weeks worth of pay. I'll go down to the bank on Friday morning and cash it then go to work. I'll be home at like 10:30pm and I know to at least pay my rent which is 600.00 per month, but then I'm going to be left with about 500.00 in cash. Now I don't know about anybody else, but that kind of money in my pocket is probably my biggest trigger.

I have no family within 1,500 miles of me and have probably lost all of my friends. So I'm left with just sitting here wondering what I'm going to do. There is no way, this early in my recovery I'm going to be able to hold on to that kind of money and not feel the urge to , well, you know.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I know I need to think about it now before Monday I'm regretting what I've done.

I need help for sure.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yep, herd this before...

options...

let sponser hold
boss
close non addicted or booze'n friend
family member
heavy safe, and take what you need, put rest in safe... flush key or combination down toilet... worry about opening the safe when rent is due...

just a few...

or hold on to it, and try not to let it be a trigger... its doable...

all good wishes loom

xxoo, zip
Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey rloomer I hear you Im like that :0( I was so desperate that I would give my husband the eftpos card and any spare money but when I had the urges I just went into the bank and since they knew me I didnt have to have i.d to get money out. I even P***ed my holdiay pay money up against the wall on bloody booze and I was saving something up for me so that hacked me off. I dont know if I can offer advice is there a budgeting place around that could hold on to your money??? do you have trust in a co worker that could help ? I take it you dont have a bank account? have you asked your sponsor what you should do? he may of come accross this problem before? As you know tho when you get those urges theres always a way to get money for booze. I hope something sorts out
take care Ang
Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The only thing I can suggest is asking your sponsor to hold the money for you.

But, maybe this is meant as a chance for you to learn to deal with this issue and get through it. It'll be the same issue again in another two weeks and, maybe this is meant to be.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sponsor! sponsor! sponsor!

this is definitely something to take to your sponsor!! why havent u already, thats what they are there for!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am just not too sure that after what I pulled 2 weeks ago if holding it is wise.

I can ask my sponsor, I mean I truly trust him, (compared to the other people in my life who said they'd help. but they're not exactly trustworthy) I mean I don't have too many choices
Old 09-25-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi rloomer,

Would it be possible to open a savings account at your bank and deposit the the extra money? If so, you could opt out of getting a bank card. That way, you wouldn't be able to withdraw money during non-banking hours. Good luck this weekend.

R
Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never thought of that. If you owe the bank money though can you still open a savings account?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It couldn't hurt to ask I bet it wouldn't be a big deal at all.

R.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clyde's Bonnie

Ok

One Thing I Know Much About- However Not Proud Of Is Owing $$$ To Banks. Yes You Can Open A Savings Even If U Are On Check Systems Aka- Bad Check Writer Aka Owe Banks Money. U Want To However Try To Open It At A Different Bank Than U Owe Money To. Some Banks Will Allow You To Some Won't. It May Take A Couple Tries To Find A Bank That Will Let U Open A Savings Only, But It Is Possible. 1st- Call Ur Sponser Asap. He Will Have Advice, Answers And Maybe He Can Hold Your Money- But It Is True- Twice A Month This Will Occur- So U Need To Find A Better Option Because Your Sponsor Can't Be With You Forever. Best Wishes.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...as a sponsor I don't do romance or finance.

As a friend...I have held cash shrt term .
I will only do that if we fix a written contract
as to the ammount and agree on when it's to be returned.
Signed by both and dated.

A savings account with a new bank seems wise.
You will need cash for buses...food...laundry...cigarettes.
Don't forget to pay back your sponsor and plan to
add to the meeting basket.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you're making this a thread Rob.

If you don't want to be 'a burden' on anyone, whether sponsor or friend, open a savings account (I've never heard of a bank refusing to take anyone's money) and just don't take a card.

But I really think you need to not stress over this. It's not a crisis.

You're an adult, you're in AA, you got numbers to call - and you've got free will.

Pretty soon you're gonna have to give yourself the responsibility for running your own life, you know ?

after all, even banks are open 8 hours a day....

D
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Good suggestions here Rob . Hopefully something pans out for you. Crossing fingers!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
But, maybe this is meant as a chance for you to learn to deal with this issue and get through it. It'll be the same issue again in another two weeks and, maybe this is meant to be.
You know my thoughts on this Rob, but Anna has a great point here. There's a lesson in everything.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your input on this issue.

I guess I am just scared to have money. You know the ol' saying fear of success? Well we'll just call this fear of financial stability. I make more than enough money to support myself, and I Just have a hard time doing that. I've never had to manage my own money before. Like I said before, I've always had someone there to help in that aspect..

I did look into it and decided to just open a savings account and not get a card. I'm not sure if they will charge me for the account or not but, even if they do, it's better than putting the burdon of my finances on someone else. I mean hey, if I don't even want to have my money, who else will. ( besides Gypsy Tears )?
Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck for the weekend mate,think how good you'll feel Monday.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reubena View Post
Hi rloomer,

Would it be possible to open a savings account at your bank and deposit the the extra money? If so, you could opt out of getting a bank card. That way, you wouldn't be able to withdraw money during non-banking hours. Good luck this weekend.

R
Honey I did this I opened a checking account with ( yes I am telling you the name because it answers your next question after this post) Chase bank. I was given a debit card, not anything else, to a checking account, then I asked for a spending limit to be put on it, I can take out only 40 bucks at an ATM and only up to 100 from an ATM per day...... 40 k in under 11 days, yeppers it does get that bad!

If not consider wiring some of it to your parents or one other thing I got was a prepaid visa, took them almost a month to send me the card......lol
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So are you saying I should go to Chase and open an account with daily limits?

Or are you saying not to?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thats exactly what I did!! I have a problem with excesses, I tend to drink excessively, I tend to do drugs excessively, I tend to spend money.............like there isn't any tomarrow, Seriously I have spent over 73,000 this year alone of money that really wasn't mine to spend ( ie was for rent, bills, my vehicles,school ect....) I don't have much to show for it and I blew it within 11 days of having it on both times.....it isn't a fun situation to be in but as I told the lady at the bank neaither is setting in jail for something you have no control over as well.....I also got into budgeting classes, they have a support group there as well..........thank god for that I call them my investment in me advisors!