Notices

Hard to admit there is a problem...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard to admit there is a problem...

After reading many of the stories on this website I would also like to share mine, which is no doubt very similar to many other stories, but in a way it is my first real acknowledgement of the problems that I am experiencing....

My name is John, I am currently 29 years of age and have recently accepted that I have a problem with drinking and feel that it is only a matter of time before I die because of it unless I do something about it....

I went on a 3 day bender last weekend, it started on Friday night and continued until 1am on Monday morning.... During this time I don’t remember most of Saturday night and a good portion of Sunday afternoon and Sunday night.... This would be a concern for most, however this has become the norm for me nowadays, every weekend I go out and drink enough that I don’t remember what happened the night before, usually I forget anything from 2 or more hours, it often sees we waking up next to random women who I dont remember meeting, losing large portions of money, covered in bruises and generally feeling disgusting about myself....

After nights like this I find it very easy to ease into a beverage the next morning when I wake up and as most of you know it is very hard to just stop at one.... So this then has an impact on my work performance on Mondays and Tuesdays, often I don’t work the full day on Monday and even when I do go to work the quality of work I provide is terrible because my head is usually messed up and my psychiatrist has just diagnosed me with panic disorder, which seems to be emphasised after binge drinking, so I am often in the bathroom thinking I am going to die....

Usually by Wednesday I am back to normal and don’t actually feel compelled to drink and by Thursday and Friday I usually justify my behaviour and tell myself I don’t have a problem and that I am able to be sensible... But then come Friday night or mid afternoon Saturday I am usually into my next big drinking session....

With the exception of a month earlier this year and 2 other weekends I can remember, I have not had a weekend off drinking for the past 12 years... I have done countless stupid things when I have been intoxicated, stupid things for money, breaking the law, unprotected sex or just generally being a disappointment to those people who are closest to me, when I sit back and reflect on my life as a binge drinker, it scares me to think how little control I have had over so much of my life....

The strange thing with drinking is I don’t overly enjoy it, the idea of drinking every day has never appealed to me and I do see friends and family who do drink every day and in a way this has allowed me to justify my behaviour for so long... But I cannot just have one drink, it seems like a very black and white area I can either abstain from drinking or I need to get to the point I don’t remember....

Anyway, I have decided to stop drinking which I think will be a relief to friends and family, it is going to be hard as there is a strong drinking culture amongst my friends and family.... I have managed to give up gambling, smoking, marijuana and ecstacy in the past, but that has been by removing myself from people I do all of those things with, I don’t feel like there is anywhere to hide from alcohol....

Plus I have always had the mindset that I am a far more interesting person when I am intoxicated, so it is difficult to break out of that mentality....

It has been a huge relief being able to read all of your stories as it is comforting to know that other people are battling the same demons....

All the best everyone and thank you for reading...
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi John and welcome,

I used to think I was a much more interesting person when I was drinking. I went to a wedding soon after getting sober and the mother of the bride was giving a toast - mom was smashed on booze and pills - she was 'interesting' though, I'll say that much!

Okay, you gave up pot, ecstasy, gambling and smoking by not hanging out with the same people. You're right, it can be hard to 'hide' from the alcohol. For me, I had to stop going out for drinks after work, and I had to pass on some invites for functions where booze was gonna be in play. I also got active in AA and went out often with my new sober friends to coffee houses, pool parties, bbq's, etc.

Number one - you've identified that drinking is causing some difficulty in your life and you wish to stop. That's a good place to start.

I hope you visit this site often and continue to read and post. There is a lot of support to be found here from other members who are sober, or who are struggling to achieve sobriety.

I'm glad you found us.

Row
Old 09-25-2007, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here....Welcome to SR!

Please read this ...blackouts are discussed on #35.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I too hung out with drinkers when I drank.
Who else would have put up with my antics?

It's amazing how many new sober friends I've met in AA.
We do all sorts of activities...and now I remember them

I do hope you find your way into recovery...it's awesome.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Just thought that I would join in and welcome you
Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Looks like you have a problem and want to stop. That is a great step. Have you thought about AA?? It sure has helped me. And I even found new friends there.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi John...Glad you are here.
Keep posting
Old 09-25-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR keep on posting we are here for you.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post John,everyone sharing their experiences can only be a good thing,and on here it's good to know that you are not alone and that there are plenty of people to offer sympathy and advice.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad you found us, john - keep reaching out, k
Old 09-25-2007, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi John,

Welcome to SR...I suggest that you latch on to all the support you can whether it is AA or coming here or both...Early sobriety can be most challenging.

Glad you found us, keep posting...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome !

Reading your story, I'd say it would be hard to admit there's not a problem

have managed to give up gambling, smoking, marijuana and ecstacy in the past,
There were many things in my life that I accomplished on my own. I thought quitting drinking would just be another one to add to the list. I was wrong .

Anyway, good luck. There's lot's of support here. As long as your willing to do anything, and follow the suggestions of those who have gone before you, recovery is possible.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Mashies, if you have a problem with alcohol you are in the right place to get started on the road to recovery.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by Mashies View Post
every weekend I go out and drink enough that I don’t remember what happened the night before, usually I forget anything from 2 or more hours, it often sees we waking up next to random women who I dont remember meeting
Except for the fact that you're a guy, the pattern sounds pretty much like mine during the final stages of my drinking. It was hard not to admit there was a problem.

Glad you've come to grips with it and are taking the necessary steps to put an end to the downward spiral.