Notices

Alcohol is going to cause my death.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am an atheist, the term atheist means "without god" I have been physically dependent on alcohol for 15 years, my alcohol consumption has increased so much that it would kill "normal" people. I have telephoned the Samaritans, I have telephoned Alcoholics Anonymous. But according to AA when you are without God, there is no hope.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi anon,

There is ALWAYS hope!

I'm not an AA person, but if you believe AA will help you, then by all means go. I believe that if you have a desire to stop drinking, then AA will welcome you. Don't let anything get in your way. Do what you need to do to stop drinking and safe yourself.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not necissarily about God. It's about believing that there is a greater force in the universe than ourselves that we can turn to.

Having a higher power, I believe is more about not thinking we are our own higher power than believing in God.

Read the chapter to the agnostic in the big book I think it will shed some light for you

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I go to AA. I know many who have no God. They have found Good Orderly Direction, if you will, or Group of Drunks.

You, and anyone else who has a desire to quit drinking, is welcome to attend AA.

You don't have to drink yourself to death.

I hope you keep posting.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

for me, booze was my power...

it wasnt til it nearly killed me, that i searched for a power other then the booze...

all good wishes anon...

xxoo, rz
Old 09-24-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Originally Posted by anon2007 View Post
I am an atheist, the term atheist means "without god" I have been physically dependent on alcohol for 15 years, my alcohol consumption has increased so much that it would kill "normal" people. I have telephoned the Samaritans, I have telephoned Alcoholics Anonymous. But according to AA when you are without God, there is no hope.

I agree, that sometimes God does seem to play a very large part of AA, however, (I can only speak for myself here) I have found that by simply asking another person in recovery for help to stop drinking....that is all...just help to stop drinking, I have taken the first steps to recovery. It is so important to get just a few days sober as the start to a foundation of sober living, that concentrating any farther (at least for me in the beginning) was just to much and I would drink myself into oblivion...yet again. After the first few days, you should start to feel a little better...for me, it took a full week before I wasn't sweating through my clothes at night!!! After that, I only concentrated on that day...just don't use!!! Believe me when I say, I quit too many times to count, before it actually sunk in...if I don't take that first drink, I will never be drunk again!!! There are all sorts of AA meetings out there...yes, there are Bible thumping meetings, and some are not so "in-you-face" with God. Believe it or not, there are meetings for atheists too, you might need to look for them, but they are there. If you can't find one close, (this is just a suggestion) try going to a meeting and only taking from it what you need. If you want people to accept you as an atheist, then try accepting them(me) as a Christian. This fellowship is so open and willing to help...all you need to do is ask...won't you let us help you?

Cathy

Oh...one more thing, Alcohol isn't going to cause your death......you drinking might though!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi fellow Atheist and welcome to SR. I hope you use SoberRecovery as one of your supports.

There are as many paths to recovery as there are addicts. There are options. You can go to F2F meetings, like AA or SmartRecovery. You can seek individual therapy. You can attend an outpatient treatment center. Or if you think you need more help, you can go to inpatient treatment. And if you suddenly become religious, you might want to try religious council (w/addiction experience).

There are also medicines that can help you detox. I'm not allowed to give medical advice, but I would suggest making an appt. with an appropriate doctor if this appeals to you.

Self-education is important too, and SR is a great source of info. Additionally, feel free to post anytime, especially when you have cravings. You'd be surprised how a virtual meeting of addicts can help you stay abstinent.

Best,
Dave
Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is hope! If you want to beat this addiction, it can be done. Other atheists and agnostics that have quit. I've even seen them post on SR, wish I could remember who they are... Maybe someone else knows.

I quit at home two weeks ago and have not gone to a meeting yet. I plan to when I get stronger.

You may need medical help quitting. Please see a doctor. And keep posting so we can encourage you and you can encourage us.

Jane
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

See, Afraidtosucceed, is an atheist. And he is right about all of the options he mentioned. SMARTrecovery has a forum and online meetings too. It's based on a type of cognitive behavioral therapy called REBT, I believe.

Keep posting!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

.... But according to AA when you are without God, there is no hope.

Being an alcoholic that stopped my drinking back when I was some what of an Atheist... I say you just talked with the wrong person when you called AA. If you are looking for hope for other things in life ...Well that is where I would say without God you are without hope but as for finding answers to stopping the madness we go through with alcohol... AA does work and it works for those who are without God as well.

God as "you" understand (concept of something bigger then you) is what AA uses and how AA has worked for many over the years. As a matter of fact...I stopped my drinking many years before becoming a Christian.

AA works. Go to a meeting with a desire to get help and stop drinking then talk with others, rather then that person who told you you have no hope.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There is always hope.I promise you.You don't have to believe in God-you just need to want to stop drinking.There are recovery programmes for people who don't believe.I hope you find some help.You don't have to die.

We're here and we do care very much.Keep posting and reaching out.

Love, Julesxox
Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You got the wrong person on the phone when you called AA. You do not come to AA to find God, you come to find a higher power. We just choose to call him God sometimes. I know you have a higher power. You've been under the influence of one for 15 years, so they do exist. Now all you have to do is find a different one.
You may have a hard time believing in God right now, but God believes in you.(if that helps any) A lot of Alcoholics have a hard time believing in God. How could a God that supposedly loves them allow this to happen to them? The answer is there if you know where to look. Somewhere, somehow, someday, something will happen that will remove all doubt. All you have to do is let your guard down a little. As soon as you do God will throw you a sucker punch with the likes you have never seen. I'm sure other former "Non-Believers will back me up on this one too.
Anyways, I'm starting to preach so I better quit for now.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

there are many atheists in AA, and many other programmes to get sober besides AA -don't let the HP thing be an excuse.

I drank for 15 years too. I'm coming up 6 months sober and, if it matters, I don't do AA - SR is my main recovery tool.

There is always hope

D
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

God or no God is not the point.

Alcoholism is a medical condition
not a moral issue.

Please have an honest talk with your doctor
so you may start to regain your health.

Long time drinkers need a medical de tox
Quitting abruptly is not wise.

Keep us informed please and
Welcome to SR!...
Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome!

Hi and Welcome Anon!!!

easy does it!! I think what they meant to say at AA was that spirituality was importnat - NOT GOD per se - however!! You're thinking too far ahead...just get sober first...look up a meeting in your area and go...you will find many people like you and you WILL recover if you follow what is suggested...I suggest that you read 'we agnostics' from the big book - go online and google, but get to a meeting , you can beat this! and sobriety is wonderful! You are almost there!!!!!!!!!

Cathy31
x

Old 09-25-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

There are plenty of atheists and agnostics in AA. Share honestly and respectfully about your views at the meetings and you should find loving acceptance. As others have already mentioned, there are secular resources available like SMART. They just don't have the reach that AA does.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, anon. you can recover. hugs, k
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome,

There is a friend that I know at AA who doesn't holds anyones hand when reciting the Lord's prayer. He does not recite the prayer because he doesn't believe in God. I haven't found that this upset anyone...

Keep posting, glad you found us.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I read once that only alcoholics that don't want to die actually die from the disease. The rest of us are just faced with another 10-15 years of living hell.

I too was physically dependant. If I went more than 3-4 hours without a drink, I'd start withdrawing.

As far as God, all you have to believe in is a power greater than yourself. Some people use the fellowhip of AA. After all, here's millions who have gotten sober, as a group they are greater than oneself.