Notices

Newcomer/Question re: a geographic

Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer/Question re: a geographic

Hi,

I'm new to here and new to being sober. Today is my eighth day of sobriety and I can't even remember the last time that was the case. Probably 10 years ago. It's been very rough and yesterday I was in such a depression at work that all I wanted to do was to use...and then I found this place, which gave me hope. Thanks to you all for sharing here.

Anyway, I heard in a meeting that you shouldn't pull a geographic move in your first few months of recovery. Why is that?

Thanks all...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think the comment about geographic moves is if you think you might be 'running away' from the problem. In other words, if you move and start over again life will be different. But, unless you deal with the addiction, things won't change.

I actually did make a long-distance move at the time I was stopping drinking and for me it worked out great. I had a chance to get involved in volunteer work. The people there didn't know about my addiction and the work and the people really helped me to begin to believe in myself.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here and I LOVED MY MOVE!!!! No one knows me no one knows my past they take me for me it is up to me if I want my old life back involved in this new life it is really up to the person and how stable they feel in their recovery is how I look at it!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

OK...I think it depends on your motivation/reasons for making the move. If you think by taking yourself out of your familiar surroundings, it will somehow cause you to get sober...WRONG! No matter where you go, you'll be taking you with you. Unless you change, from the inside out, you'll be doing and feeling "the same old, same old", only in a different place.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Geographic moves typically relate to people who are still using and think that a change of scenary will help them. A geographic move in sobriery may actually be beneficial if it removes someone from a dysfunctional environment (based on my own experience).
Old 09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am planning on moving to Portland in the next few months (if everything goes well) and when I heard that, since I'm newly sober, I got worried. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR.
Geographic move is not the way to go if you're just trying to escape who you are. But do what is right for you. There are people though who don't move to get away from it. If that's the case, Best of luck, I certainly wish I could get back to Washington state.

Last edited by rloomer; 09-20-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished
Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Anyway, I heard in a meeting that you shouldn't pull a geographic move in your first few months of recovery. Why is that?

Thanks all...
One good thing is you've already started going to meetings! Remember, there are AA meetings all over the world. Check out the listings for Portland even before you move. That way, you'll already have a plan in place.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I like your avatar, nice and scary!

Welcome to SR.

Moving can be anxiety-provoking or stressful, too. As we all know, stress can precipitate a relapse. As long as you have a plan and way to cope, you should be fine.