Notices

I don't know how to know you

Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know how to know you

I am unbelieveably lost. I go to meetings and I have no clue how to socialize when I'm not loaded. I am so uncomfortable in my own skin. I know that everyone is there for the same reason and my insecurities are all in my head - but I can't get out of my head. I can go to the old-timers meetings and be fine - but it's when I get around my peers - people my age - that I start to freeze & can't function. 6 months ago I could talk to anyone & everyone. Granted, it was the immense amount of cocaine and pills that did most of the talking for me - but I was comfortable, even if it was a facade.

I have 5 months and 14 days of sobriety and I still don't know how to walk up to somebody and introduce myself. I don't know how to pick up the phone and call a person who has offered their hand. I don't know how to ask someone to be my sponsor...

...I don't know how to not do this alone.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My friend,

You have taken the first step...You have found us and we are happy you have... This is a great place to come to...You will meet lots of folks and build a few friendships along the way.

Keep posting...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on your sober time! That's great!

I do understand how you feel and I am glad that you are reaching out here for help. Alcohol helped me feel more comfortable socializing too. But, alcohol nearly destroyed me. Since I stopped drinking, I don't socialize so much. It's part of learning how to say 'No' and mean it. I realized that I was doing social things that I really didn't care about. Now, I spend time with people I like a lot, or I stay home. Part of recovery for me was learning about myself and what I wanted from life. I'm not as social as I used to be and that's fine with me.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Way to go on your clean time.

have you tried going 15 minutes early to meetings?
Or staying later?
Offering to help with service work is a god ice breaker.

Glad to see you here
Old 09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WTG you should be proud of yourself and give yourself a great big hug
Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Serenetarium

Welcome!

I totally relate to you. It took me glacially long amounts of time to relax and extend myself, ANYWHERE.

In AA I have found these things helped to get known:

1. going early to meetings and talking to people

2. staying late after meetings, just long enough to say hi to at least 1 person before ducking out. Bring a pen and paper to get/give numbers

3. identifying myself by raising my hand in the very beginning of a meeting when the chairperson asks if there are any newcomers and asking for (women's, since I am a woman) phone numbers, saying that I don't yet have a sponsor or any numbers. You will be amazed at how many numbers you get

4.find a few solid meetings that you like alot, keep going to them regularly for a long time. raise your hand right away and share even if its very briefly, so you dont sit there getting all anxious wondering what to say if you get called on. Just sharing your name out loud is like an introduction and is good social practice

keep posting and reading and let us get to know you here! I love your nickname!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post

Welcome!

I totally relate to you. It took me glacially long amounts of time to relax and extend myself, ANYWHERE.

In AA I have found these things helped to get known:

1. going early to meetings and talking to people

2. staying late after meetings, just long enough to say hi to at least 1 person before ducking out. Bring a pen and paper to get/give numbers

3. identifying myself by raising my hand in the very beginning of a meeting when the chairperson asks if there are any newcomers and asking for (women's, since I am a woman) phone numbers, saying that I don't yet have a sponsor or any numbers. You will be amazed at how many numbers you get

4.find a few solid meetings that you like alot, keep going to them regularly for a long time. raise your hand right away and share even if its very briefly, so you dont sit there getting all anxious wondering what to say if you get called on. Just sharing your name out loud is like an introduction and is good social practice

keep posting and reading and let us get to know you here! I love your nickname!
This advice is soooooo good!!! MissC, you rock!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Dear Serenetarium -

I am gregarious as all heck. But when I was early sober (I know - obviously NOT a grammar teacher, huh?) I'd be sitting around the club, and talking (or listening) to people and all of a sudden - I *had* to go.
Like my arse was on fire.
I'd just stand up and say 'well gotta go' and walk out.
Same thing on the phone.
I'm the worst 'hanger upper' there is.
Ok, talk to ya later. *click*

Sometimes, it feels almost like a panic coming on ... and I *MUST* go. Right then.
*shrug*
So ... I do.

I can tell you that it's going to get smoother.
The social stuff.
One thing - I learned - I just tell people that.
"Oh my God - I don't know how to socialize any more.'
I did that once.
They laughed and before you knew it - we were all engaged in conversation.

I still have a problem to this day, though - one thing I may never figure out - I can't figure out why people talk about some of the things they choose to talk about.

COngratulations on your time sober - it gets better!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
outtahere

Welcome serenitarium, I really like your avatar.

Join the crowd! I think many of us had those insecurities and turned to alcohol/drugs to be able to socialize. I also think many of us have learned that we really needed to face them and now we needed to start over and face them without an alcohol/drug crutch.

You'll get better in time. I hope you stay away from the drugs/alcohol and let the real you shine through.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go. Your doing great
It may be worth while looking for a small group to work through the steps with. You can develop some trust and confidence in sharing with small groups and develop a few close friends. That is all we really need, is a few close friends. You will be fine, don't give in to your dis-ease
Old 09-20-2007, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting out of my own way!

Im about 9 months clean/sober....tomorrow it will be.....and I am just starting to deal with social issues in counseling...Im starting to reach out a little. It is very very hard for me to pick up a phone and ask for help or to hang with someone in general in a one on one situation....It will come..it is just an area that you and I will both have to work on!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Serenitariam,

How are you doing today?

Drop us a line...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,

You've gotten some solid advice - I just wanted to say hello, and to encourage you to keep posting. Congratulations on your clean time that's fantastic!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

I know where you are coming from Serenitarium, I'm exactly the same when I'm not drunk. Can barely communicate at all, I never used to be like that - it's like I feel nobody will want to talk to me and when they are talking to me I just completely lock-up.

You're not alone m8, there are people just like you out there. Post again in this thread and say hello to say how you are doing.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~ 5 ~

Truly you are not alone in the way you feel, In a social enviroment I feel like im 2 inches tall and naked, i just want to run away.
Even on here sometimes I will write a responce then reread it and delete it cause who cares what i have to say right?....
I have over a year under me and this sober socialization is definatly one of the harder roadblocks i have faced.
If i have to make a phone call i ask everyone at home "whos gonna be the caller person"......i cant even make a phone call half the time, but some days i force myself to make the call or talk to another parent at football/softball/basketball/soccer practice and in the end feel pretty good I did it.
gonna hit post now not delete
Old 09-20-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Let me just say "thank you" to everyone who has responded. I honestly didn't expect a second glance at my post.

For the most part, I have sincerely tried a lot of the suggestions you all have given me. I don't just go to meetings 15 minutes early, I go 30. And for 30 minutes I sit and stand and lean and pace and chain smoke and refuse to make eye contact because I don't want anyone to know exactly what I am thinking for fear of exposing myself.

For my first 30 days I stood at the beginning of every meeting as suggested by my sponsor at the time and by the looks of me then, I'm sure I silently screamed "justgotsoberandIhavenoideawhatIamdoingherepleaseh elpme." I collected a ton of business cards, got phone numbers and really intended on calling but my anxiety got the best of me and I couldn't stop thinking about what the f*ck I was going to say once someone answered on the other end. I have this completely irrational fear of sounding like a twit. And asking for help has never been my forte. So where does that leave me?

I keep telling myself to take commitments. But that means I actually have to commit to doing something. That means I am really here. The thought of having to be in the same place at the exact time every week terrifies me. Is that absurd? What if I let someone down?

Don't get me wrong - there are people I know from my past who got sober before me and they are always a comforting sight - but even letting them know how stark naked I feel brings about such feelings of weakness within me. And to depend on someone to introduce me to people? Are you joking?! "Bob, meet Serenitarium. Serenitarium, meet Bob." And Bob looks at me waiting for me to say something, anything, and I stand there like a deer in headlights. And then I excuse myself and go back to my corner and wish I could just disappear because that is how I already feel - utterly invisible.

I am dreading 8:00 as it is and my only solace is knowing that my boyfriend will be there with me. Who, by the way, is 8 days sober today ( ) AND has already made a handful of friends. Maybe I am over-analyzing and being over-dramatic. Frankly, I don't know how to "under" analyze or be "under" dramatic. I don't even know what I am talking about at this point. All I really know is meetings make me so uncomfortable that I am afraid I am going to use that as an excuse to stop going....
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Serenetarium - bumped this thread to see how you're doing, and if things are mellowing out for you yet?

in my prayers,
barb
Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
Serenetarium - bumped this thread to see how you're doing, and if things are mellowing out for you yet?

in my prayers,
barb
Having a rough time. My fears are getting the best of me.

Thank you for your thoughts
Old 09-22-2007, 12:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Originally Posted by serenitarium View Post
Having a rough time. My fears are getting the best of me.

Thank you for your thoughts
Hope you are doing ok Serenitarium, remember there are people out there who are routing for you and wishing you well. Don't let your fears beat you.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I too hope that you're doing better and feeling stronger we are here.