Notices

back to square one..

Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Carl you have the most important ingrediant in getting and staying sober...... HONESTY!!!!!!

Being honest first with ourself and then with others is the only way to even begin recovery!

Do not beat your self up..... Why? It is not going to change a darn thing, what is done is done, all any of us have is today, just decide to not drink today.

One big suggestion which will make it easier for you to ask for a sponsor, ask someone to be your "Temporary" sponsor, this does 2 things:

1. It gets you a sponsor (Most important)
2. It gives both you and the sponsor an easy out in case either of you have made a mistake.

Once you have a temporay sponsor then you can take your time deciding if you want to keep the person or chosing someone else.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

thats a good idea tazman..re: the twmp sponsor..thank you...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

carl all I am doing is sharing what worked for me, that is part of how it works, one day you will be passing that on.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

well my father was here this weekend and I have never felt so drained in my life...first time in 15 years we have spoken or seen each other, .....it was, a mental trial.... I am back to the prgm…and am recommitting to sobriety…. I have too….I feel this slip was, well, pre-ordained to a point…..
Old 09-24-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'd hazard a guess that we ALL have here at SR, save a few extremely lucky folks who really 'got it' the first time they entered 'the rooms'. They are a rare bird, trust me. And those few that did were almost certainly at a 'lower bottom' than you now are ... which does make it a little more likely the program will work the first time.
I heard an oldtimer describe alcoholics as being "from Park Avenue to park bench" and all stops in between. Don't make the mistake I did in the beginning of comparing myself to the low-bottom drunk, and thinking, "I'm not that bad...maybe I'm not really an alcoholic." Just a relapse waiting to happen, after four months of selective listening in AA meetings.

It was when I started to identify with the similarities, especially with those who stopped and didn't relapse, that I began to get it...RELAPSE IS NOT A PREREQUISITE TO RECOVERY. You don't have to relapse...but, once you do, get right back into working the program...more diligently than ever...stick with the winners...do everything you neglected to do the first, second, whatever time around.

The program doesn't fail to work...we fail to work the program...as simple as that.