Notices

Feeling very tearful after 2nd meeting?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Please don't be hard on yourself. I identify with your fear, I was the same way and to tell the truth am still quite introverted at meetings. The point is to go as often as you can. I know for me I always get something positive out of a meeting even if I felt uncomfortable in the beginning. Stand tall in your sobriety and fight a good fight...you are strong!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks everyone. I really want to work this program, so I'll try and be a bit more talkative at the next meeting. I'll get there a little earlier too. Who is the best person to introduce myself to? What exactly do I say?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

<HUGS> keep on keepin on!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I try to talk to people, but I end up crying instead. Great way to make a first impression!
Well, at least they'll remember you! It isn't unusual for the emotions to be pretty raw in early sobriety...people will understand, so don't be self-conscious. Better to shed a few tears at a meeting than to have a crying jag at a bar! Nothing so sad or uncomfortable as to see someone crying in their beer.

If you get there even 1/2 hour early, you can get to know people by helping to set up...it doesn't get done by itself, you know. By the same token, you can maybe stay after the meeting to help break down. Some of the best meetings (and a great way to get to know the members) are held in the kitchen, before and after the regular meeting.

A great ice-breaker would be, "Hi! My name is______. Is there anything I can do to help?" There is always something that needs to be done.