Notices

hi

Old 09-19-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Lelp.

Welcome to SR and to recovery. Thanks for letting us know how you got on. I am really pleased it went well for you.

I didn't expect to grow up to be an alcoholic either. It wasn't on my list of desired achievements if you know what I mean. AA makes the difference for me. I have met the most wonderful people. Now I just have to grow up. Hehe.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
let it grow!

way to go on getting to that meeting!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you went to a meeting, and found it to be such a positive experience. I love AA - it saved my life.
I hope you continue going to meetings, and that you keep us updated on your progress.

Rowan
Old 09-20-2007, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

I haven't been to my first meeting yet, glad you got on ok Lelping - this thread has given me more confidence to actually go to my first one. It will be on Sunday I think as that is when they meet here.

Didn't say anything about open meetings or anything so can I just appear? Also, I find it hard to communicate with people sometimes (don't know why, I never used to be like that) when not drunk, so I also hope they don't expect me to stand up and tell them all about myself etc?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lelping glad to hear your meeting went well, keep in mind that not all meetings are the same, they are like people, some are very serious, others are pretty laid back. Keep checking out meetings until you find a good mix of people & meetings to get the support you need.

RK if you want to stop drinking you can go to any AA meeting you want to unless it is a ladies only meeting. You can sit anywhere you want and not say a word if you do not want to. If someone asks if you would like to share, just say "No thanks, I am just listening."

Keep in mind that every sober alcohlic in AA had to go to a "First Meeting!".

I have heard it said in the rooms that we are only late to one meeting no matter how many we go to. We are always late getting to our first meeting!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Lelping glad to hear your meeting went well, keep in mind that not all meetings are the same, they are like people, some are very serious, others are pretty laid back. Keep checking out meetings until you find a good mix of people & meetings to get the support you need.

RK if you want to stop drinking you can go to any AA meeting you want to unless it is a ladies only meeting. You can sit anywhere you want and not say a word if you do not want to. If someone asks if you would like to share, just say "No thanks, I am just listening."

Keep in mind that every sober alcohlic in AA had to go to a "First Meeting!".

I have heard it said in the rooms that we are only late to one meeting no matter how many we go to. We are always late getting to our first meeting!
Thanks m8, that's very encouraging. I'll probably just sit in the background at first. Just had no idea what to expect. This site is amazing.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi RK. Go go go. I went to my second meeting tonight (a different meeting from the one on Tuesday) and I think I have been blessed because again it was a great experience. Different to the first but I definitely feel like I have found my people. I had heard some horror stories about meetings being cliquey and un-welcoming but this has not been my experience at all. No one will make you do anything you don't want to do. At the first meeting I just sat at the back and listened. In the meeting tonight it was a little different as everyone was asked to introduce themselves and state how long they had been sober. In my case having to say "I am an alcoholic, 5 weeks sober" was very very difficult but also very freeing. You will hear a lot of talk about steps and sponsors which is quite confusing at first but don't worry about all of that. Just go, listen and see if you can relate to what you are hearing. After sixteen years of binge drinking I felt like there was no one in the world who was the same as me or who could possibly understand what I was going through and it has been such a relief to find out that I am not alone. Good luck on Sunday; I hope that you have the same experience as me.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm sooo happy for you Lelping!!!! I LOVEEEEEEE meetings. And way to go on 5 weeks!! OWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congrats on hitting up your first two meetings. I went to my first last Thursday and yesterday was the only day I did not attend since. I can't wait to go tonight. I need it.