Notices

Second AA meeting today!

Old 09-06-2007, 09:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Awesome, Jomey! Be sure to check out some different meetings. I had to try I few before I finally decided that the first group I went to was the best for me, but at the time I was the one who didn't want to fit in. Looking back on it, it's like my family had been waiting for me to arrive;-)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

bad news is that this group seemed kinda gloomy
Could they all have been PMS'ing at the same time!?! That's scarey! Are you sure it wasn't a meeting of The Stepford Wives of AA?

You sound like such an up-beat person...I sure hope you find a group that fits your personality. My home group used to have a placard on the podium that read, "Sober, Not Somber". Maybe some folks are just "down", drinking or not.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Just went to my first, Jomey. Going to go again tomorrow and am curious to see if the same or different people show up. The one I went to was men and women and they looked like they were from all walks of life, which was encouraging. There were about 30 people there -- all spread out around the room -- which helped me see that there are REALLY more people like me out there -- not just a few like I've always imagined.

I figure time will tell as to how I'll fit in.

Good luck and congratulations, girl!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

way to go, Jomey !!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

but they were not following it up with positive stories of sobriety...that's would I would like to hear some more of...
Jomey there is nothing wrong with bringing up a topic like "How it is now" and explaining that as a newcomer you want and need to hear the "What happened" & the "How it is now"

When I attend a speakers meeting I alway enjoy them when the speaker spends more then half thier talk on thier recovery and how they are now. Jomey trust me when I say now that if you work the program and keep going back you to can become happy joyous and free. Do not get me wrong you will on occasion find the "Gloom & Doom" meeting, but they are few and far between.

BTW newleaf congrats on making that meeting, I think from what you have described of the meeting over time you will see there is a core group of people that attend a meeting daily and others that attend it on the same day/days of the week.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Taz, thanks for the words of encouragement...I will keep going. I hope I didn't sound like I was writing off AA or anything. I thought I would try a couple different meetings and see if I really feel at home with one group of people more than another. I will work on your suggestion of bringing up the "how is it now" topic. I have yet to say much at a meeting, and I know I have to work on that.

The last couple of days have been very stressful due to a problem with one of my children, and it is pointing out just how much I am going to need AA to stay sober. I haven't been actually tempted to drink, but...I think we may have a long road ahead with this issue, and I would have never dreamed of facing it sober....so, you betcha, Taz, I am gonna be working the program HARD!!!

Thanks for sharing,
Old 09-10-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hang in there Jomey, it only gets better, don't leave before the miracle happens!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No chance of leaving....and I'll take all the encouragement I can get. Thanks Astro!!!