SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Not a good night (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/131901-not-good-night.html)

Hope 09-01-2007 05:32 PM

Not a good night

Not having a good night. Labor day weekend and I have two people who keep coming over trying to get me to go hang out and party with them. :(
I keep playing the tape through and thinking of tomorrow. I don't wanna be hungover tomorrow so I have to get through tonight.
Giving in is not
worth the long term pain of using.

GlassPrisoner 09-01-2007 05:41 PM

Giving in is not
Remember that !

Hang in there. Is there anyone you can call ?

nogard 09-01-2007 05:44 PM

Yeah take it out of the list of options and ...

remember it will pass and ...

there will be many other days and nights that are wonderful, thats the gift we get.

This is how it is for me (((Cheryl))) it gets bd and I wanna use, I grab hold of my support and tools and I don't use, it passes and I find I move along phyically, emotionally and spiritually.

We are not terminally unique, its the way our dis ease is.

Kevin

lostmdboy 09-01-2007 05:44 PM

If it where me I would lock the door, and call someone that understands what you are going through. Hang in there nothing is worth a hang over tomorrow.

Alive 09-01-2007 05:46 PM

You did something really great..You put your life first..great..!

Anna 09-01-2007 05:47 PM

Hope, you're right - giving in is not an option.

Try to distract yourself with a movie or a book or some kind of music. You'll be so grateful tomorrow.

gypsytears 09-01-2007 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hope4life (Post 1472133)
I keep playing the tape through and thinking of tomorrow. I don't wanna be hungover tomorrow so I have to get through tonight.
Giving in is not

Playing the tape through is a great tool. You can get through the night... call someone or keep posting. Just go to sleep. When you wake up tonight will be a memory.

northbelle 09-01-2007 07:24 PM

Hey Hope!!
I hear you..I keep hoping my old friends DON'T come around..
Sometimes I am just not strong enough to fight that battle..
But boy I sure don't want to ruin my weekend either!! and I know for me it would. Thank you so much for the PM..it meant so much to me and sure helped me have a way better day..so just know that you are helping others by staying sober!!
love north

Luckyv2 09-01-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hope4life (Post 1472133)
I don't wanna be hungover tomorrow so I have to get through tonight.
Giving in is not

The way to get through it is stay here on the computer, don't use, keep talking about what is going on, and telling those people, "Thanks but no thanks, I am on a different journey in my life today, would ya all like to go to a meeting with me right now?"

that will get them out quick.

stone 09-01-2007 08:10 PM

Keep strong Cheryl! :)

leeside 09-01-2007 09:39 PM

How dare they! They should know better. They aren't floatin your boat. If the boat was capsizing they would tip it over! :mad:

Hope 09-02-2007 01:38 AM

I got through it. I told them that I quit and was sober now. I was very firm. I left no room in my talk for doubt or questions. What amazed me was my willingness and strength to stand firm and unwaivering to my convictions and commitment to my recovery. I knew the outcome. I didn't need an experient to get my answer. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. No thanks.

I'm grateful that I didn't use or drink. Totally SOBER and feeling good about my decision. Amazing. ;)

Dee74 09-02-2007 01:47 AM

congratulations Hope4 !!!

D

indigo 09-02-2007 01:49 AM

Fantastic news....IMO you did the right thing and can be proud of yourself. How did those people take it?

Hope 09-02-2007 02:16 AM

They seemed shocked and all is good now. However, I can tell that I may have to reinforce my decision to them in the future should they ever pop back up ( which I hope not). I'm staying with my family since I'm not in school now so it seems like people know where to find me but the good thing is that my grandma is like a gate-keeper and she protects me. lol :) But I also stay busy and keep myself focused on my recovery and the new life I'm living. When I do that, the shadows of my old life start falling aside.

Hope 09-02-2007 02:17 AM

Also, earlier I distracted myself. I was with my sister and we watched a movie. We were trying to decide between Premonition and The Number 23 with Jim Carrey. We got online and searched reviews. We decided on The Number 23 which was cool. So my mind was occupied earlier with a cool movie.

Jhana 09-02-2007 04:40 AM

Hi Hope,

I am glad you hung in there; I "hope" I will do the same. Big party planned, and as well as I DON'T fit in (bf's son and friends) it sure would be nice to grease the wheels with something to drink.

Then there's Monday...

Jhana

Hope 09-02-2007 04:54 AM

Hi my friend,
You can get through that party. Remember, to think it through. What seems like a good idea at the time will end up being very painful and costly to the soul the next day. Then the guilt will eat you up inside. So no matter how tempting the thought, just remember that the situation will not last forever.

Take extra precautions to protect your sobriety. Remain on guard and do not let your guard down. Alcohol is sneaky. Don't listen to the thoughts.

I'll be thinking of you my friend. :) :hug:

NOMOMERLOTMAMMA 09-02-2007 05:16 AM

Way to go Hope!!!! You must feel great!

Hope 09-02-2007 03:29 PM

I feel good today. :)