SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   ...My first meeting is on Saturday... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/131335-my-first-meeting-saturday.html)

xXBacktoBlackXx 08-23-2007 06:41 PM

...My first meeting is on Saturday...

Wish me luck. I would go to a meeting tomorrow but I can't find one in my area. The one on Saturday's located in a convenient location...it's on my school's campus. It's at 8AM. Bla, but that'll ensure that I don't do anything stupid on Friday. I don't know why I'm not really nervous to attend this one. Maybe because other students that'll be attending are alcoholics, too, so they probably wouldn't judge me. This is a new school, but right now I'm not scared. I just want to beat this thing.

Anna 08-23-2007 06:43 PM

I'm so glad that you're taking care of yourself.

I hope the meeting is a positive experience for you.

stone 08-23-2007 06:48 PM

That's great news B2B! Going to meetings was a turning point for me.
:)

CarolD 08-23-2007 06:51 PM

Good for you!
You will meet new sober friends to hang with.
If you can....say you are new + ask for a meeting list.

Blessings

Dee74 08-23-2007 07:25 PM

Good luck, R.

D

Surlyredhead 08-23-2007 07:28 PM

I think you will be surprised at how welcome and at home you are going to feel...good luck....Cathy

Rowan 08-23-2007 08:37 PM

I'm proud of you for taking this step. I'll be thinking of you on Saturday morning.

Jules62 08-23-2007 09:00 PM

I'm so glad to hear this :)

I'm still thinking of you and praying for you sweetie.

Love, Julesxox

scaredykat 08-23-2007 09:20 PM

I'm so happy for you that you decided to go. Take care.

Barb

nogard 08-24-2007 04:39 PM

way to go could be the entry to many great things

xXBacktoBlackXx 08-24-2007 07:14 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm setting my alarm. I'm determined to make myself go to this. My only concern is to run into a professor I know...how awkward would that be?

Grateful Heart 08-24-2007 07:24 PM

I remember my first meeting...I was so scared! Now going to meetings feels like visiting with old friends. I'll be thinking of you on Saturady! :) GH

Rowan 08-24-2007 08:43 PM

Well - if your professor is there, he/she is there for the same reason you are!

We will be with you in spirit tomorrow morning. You won't be going in there alone.
Set TWO alarms to make sure you get up on time. :)

Let us know how it goes.

Row

Luckyv2 08-24-2007 10:06 PM

You will be fine I am sure. You will meet people just like we are here. Such a variety to say the least. blessings to ya OK

St_Kurt 08-25-2007 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by xXBacktoBlackXx (Post 1462897)
Thanks everyone. I'm setting my alarm. I'm determined to make myself go to this. My only concern is to run into a professor I know...how awkward would that be?

Not awkward at all as you will discover. They're there too right?

I have attended meetings with both professors and fellow students at them (and the vet school is very small - only 90 students in my class and we have the same professors for multiple classes and semesters). So we have something in common, big deal. :)

If anything it's made me wonder about the sanity of my professor with 20+ years sobriety encouraging the class to go to the bars and celebrate after her exam is over.

~SK

scaredykat 08-25-2007 02:26 PM

Back- so did you make it to your meeting this morning? How was it?

Barb

Aysha 08-25-2007 02:52 PM

That is great B2B...You can do this.
Thinking of you...

carl11 08-25-2007 02:58 PM

good luck BtoB but I have a feeling you won't need it..like minded people who have recognized they have issues are not about judging others...I think they are worried about themselves and others that need help....be well...let us know hw it works out..

xXBacktoBlackXx 09-01-2007 08:32 PM

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, guys. I am really ashamed to say that I never ended up going. =( It's not that I didn't want to...I got there, and froze up in the parking lot. I couldn't go inside. I felt sick. Since that day, I have not tried to go back. I haven't drank, though, either.